Need ADD support board for son,

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Sandyz, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My son has ADD and I wandered if anyone knows of any really good support sites with message boards. I would really like more information and insite into ADD. I`ve search some on goggle but not finding any good sites.

Thanks,
    Sandy
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I expected this to be easy. Word search on Yahoo, no big deal. Well, it didn't work that way. Some sites are difficult to navigate and they aren't user friendly.

I liked the site at one web address, but there were only 13 registered members

I saw another site that I thought you could acclimate to---there is no moderator. I just didn't feel comfortable there.

So I have a friend with a child with ADD. If you don't mind, I'll ask her and get back with you.

Many of the sites were just a ploy to entice you into their site---they were about selling herbal remedies, etc.

So let me ask my friend. Joyfully
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Thanks for looking for me, I appreciate that. I found the same thing as you. They weren`t very good sites or they were trying to sell something.

I would like to learn more about ADD and coping with it. My son is 13 now and is a good kid. I don`t have too many problems with him inspite of the ADD. But these teens years are going to get tricky for him and me. He can be very impulsive which could get him in trouble if he isn`t careful.

Anyway, thanks again for answering my post. Let me know if your friend knows of any good sites.

Sandy
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

when my friend calls me back, I'd like to have a little more information in hand (if you don't mind)

Is your son ADD or ADHD?

Is your son on any meds for the ADD? e.g. ritalin, wellbutrin, etc.

Is this a recent diagnosis or something you've been aware of for a long time? Are you brand new at this diagnosis or are you familiar with it, but are looking for Moms to give you extra insight?

I don't know if these questions are impt. or not. I just want to have enough info. that I can answer questions she may ask. Joy
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Well, he was diagnosed with it several years ago. He has ADHD. He has never been on medication for it because his grades were always good and he wasn`t disruptive in school. So the doctor felt he could possible get by without it.

I do give him a product called BECalm that is for ADD, depression, anxiety. That helps him focus pretty well. Its a supplement not a prescription. He`s been on BeCalm for almost a year.

I`m just looking for more insight into it. I`ve read several books on it but still feel I could still learn more to help him and me cope.

Thanks again,
    Sandy
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I am astounded at the lack of message boards for adhd. I'm hoping my friend will respond this weekend. I have not found anything as user friendly or safe as this site, and I've still been looking for you! The unmoderated sites are realy "Iffy". Joy

UPDATE: I sent a note to Shirl, one of the moderators on this board, and asked if they would please consider adding a board for ADD/ADHD to this web site.

I found one funded by a man who funds some programs on PBS. Again, it isn't moderated. I didn't register to get into the site. When the sites that aren't moderated, it seems that inevitably 2 or 3 people get into a nasty-gram mentality and ruin it for everyone else.

I hope the people using this web site realize what a jewel that we have.[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2004]
  7. debonlake

debonlake New Member

Hi Just wanted to let you know that Conductdisorders.com and Braintalk are both great. I have been on the Conduct disorders board for a couple of years and have recieved a wealth of information. They have different sections for different ages and also one on natural routes. The people are great. Braintalk is also awesome but different from CD. Conductdisorders is alittle more personal. Hope this helps. Deb
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I looked at the conductdisorders site last nite and it was very good. It was just what I was looking for. I`m going to look at the other site today.

Thanks a million. Also thank you joyfully for searching for me. That was very kind of you.

Sandy
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

She told me that she has used the CHADD organization web site some. She indicated that most of her help is coming from a counselor, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist.

I'm so glad that someone else responded to your request.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2004]
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My friend e mailed me another one:
    ideapractices is an ORGanization that my friend has also used.
  11. Chunky49

Chunky49 New Member

Web MD has a lot of good info on ADHD, no chats but interesting!
    Also for anyone interested, we've had great sucess with Rx Concerta with our Son. Good Luck!
  12. jbg

jbg New Member

I too think it would be great to have an ADD/ADHD message board here. We really need a place to go to talk to others that are going through the difficult time we sometimes have with ADD/ADHD. My 8 yr old has ADHD and has been put on many different medications. Concerta has helped wonders with him. We just need to figure out how to give it early so it is in him when he wakes up...lol

13. sidney12

sidney12 New Member

I think it would be great if we had a message board that covered all mental illness, not just adhd. My son was diagnosed with that when he was 6 and then diagnosed over the years with several dfferent disorders. He has been in and out of the childrens psych hospital here since he was six. They finally diagnosed him correctly about 2 years ago. He is now 14 and is schizoaffective, which is schizofrenic and bipolar. What a mess. He has been on countless med trials. Anyways thats my thought.

Blessings,
    Sidney
  14. florenceb

florenceb New Member

Psycho Babble with Dr Bob Hsiung from the University of Chicago. You'll find people who are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about all types of psych disorders AND medicines,too. I've seen several posts about children with ADD and adults with it, too. I met a neighbor's friend who was almost ashamed to tell me that her son was on AdderallXR. He is in Kindergarten. I was a teacher and reassured her that I could see a difference when one of my former students stopped her Ritalin. I didn't even know she was taking it! But she just could not sit still....Anyhow, don't feel guilty if you decide to put your child on medicine BUT YOU do the research! Don't let the media convince you "we are over-drugging our kids". Some of my former students brought coffee in their thermos' for lunch. They were only 6 and 7 yrs old. I recently tried Ritalin and then Adderall XR for chronic fatigue and I became so hyper and wacko: not calm and focused as many other people with ADD reported. So, I knew they were not the drugs for my condition! Good Luck!