NEED ADVICE...about fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Apr 25, 2007.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I need advice about the fatigue part of this DD. I just can't seem to get a day that I can accomplish anything. I posted the other day about all that I am going thru but htis is getting rediculious. Any advice for meds or herbs or ANYTHING that helps with the fatigue??? Thanks in advance.....Mickie!!
  2. dorrene

dorrene New Member

Green tea capsules 4-6/day (Gaia brand )
    L-carnitine or acetyl L-carnitine 500-1000mg/day
    Eleuthero root (Gaia brand) 3-6 capules/day
    Rhodiola Rosea
    D-Ribose 5gm 1 or 2/day
    Astragalus ( a herb)
    CoQ10 300-600mg/day really helps that next day wipe out

You can look this up on the internet to find more info on them. Check out Dr. Sarah Myhill's webste her protocol is very helpful.

Dorrene
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Are those supplements for those with fibro specifically or can depressives take them also? And... do you take ALL of them or is that just a menu of what will work?

budmickl
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Apperciate your help. I will check into these.....Thanks, Mick
  5. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

I am on and off these boards alot, so if I dont get back with you, just give me time.....LOL I can tell you what helped me, if that works......I am a chiropractor, have been suffering with CFS and FM for the past 20 years, but the past 3 years have been much better......Due to the following........

Diet......this is the most difficult, because its not a quick fix, but if you follow the raw diet or something close, and juice, it will increase your energy....guaranteed.......

Supplements/herbs/shakes........I believe Stormyskye has some great posts on healthy shakes(Green Drinks) on this website, if you look up her posts......JeanneinCanada has some great advice in her posts on herbs that help......LisaPetrison has some overall great advice on supplements and Chinese herbal medicines in her posts......Try to research these if you can........

Medication.......Provigil worked for me for a period of time, maybe a year or so......but then stopped......I now take 20 mg of Adderall which works great, allows me to function and get things done.......Dexedrine is good also........Was not successful with Ritalin......I did have to "balance" the upregulation of the Adderall on my nervous system with Klonopin, about .5-1 mg at night, to allow me to sleep.....but probably needed it anyway.....

Some anti-depressants work for people, I am too sensitive to the side effects.......Effexor, Prozac, Wellbutrin and others have been discussed on this board, but everyone's chemistry is different and its hit or miss with these drugs.......If you dont see a difference in a couple weeks, its probably the wrong one.......

Let me know if this helps......I can give you more info, but this is a good start......Good luck........John
  6. dorrene

dorrene New Member

I take basicly all of these everyday. I also take lots of other things like antivirals which you can find on my profile. Add enough sleep and a little coffee and I am almost normal. Can't do heavy exercise or walk longer than 60 mins still. Dr. Sarah Myhill's website has lots of good advice. Her protocl has been very helpful for me.
    For depression I don't know.
    Dorrene

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I will keep trying anything that might help. Will also talk to my PCP about the prescription meds. thanks again...Mick!!
  8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

check out "adrenal fatigue" on web, consider getting teh saliva test. it is treatable. i am doing better, and getting some stuff done.

bigmama2
  9. you might find this strange,or then again you might know why this happens,when i eat this food.i dont know why it happens,but im happy that it does,even though the energy burst lasts about 3 hours.

for the past year ive been eating museli for breakfast.ive also had a second helping, one hour before i go to my part time job in the evening.

well,one day i just didnt fancy eating the museli,i guess i must have gotten fed up with it.so instead i had bacon and eggs,waffles,tomatoe.(this was for breakfast)

then one hour before i went to work (in the afternoon) i ate salad with ham/boiled egg/lettuice and other things.

but goodness me,i had a very bad attack of fatigue,at work later that day,and my thigh and buttock pain was,well you know..it was murder,the pain was so intense.

now as thick as i am..or slow thinking haha.

i hadnt worked out why my fatigue and pain levels had gone crazy.it took me ages to figure out that..the museli was giving me a energy boost.and seeing as id taken it out of my diet (for a while at least)i was having a sort of relapse.in as my energy levels were not getting a... museli fix.

i now most definately know .that even when im fed up with eating museli.if i dont have it for breakfast,then again one hour before going to work later in the afternoon,i will crash (as regards the ME/fatigue).

what is it that is giving me this energy boost?whatever it is,i love it.

my museli contains nuts,and although im not allergic to nuts,i know alot of people are,so be careful.

but my advice is..

cut out all food stuff..then slowly introduce one new item of food roughly every couple of days.if a certain food makes your irratable bowel worse,but gives you a energy boost..DONT EAT THAT TYPE OF FOOD AGAIN.

if a food gives you a energy burst,but doesnt affect your bowels in a bad way..STICK WITH THAT FOOD.

museli isnt making my stools hard..they are soft.im not getting stomache gripeing pains,after eating museli.and im most definately getting a energy burst.

on a downside,i do get the hyperactive brain,but i suppose its better than having a slow/fibro fog brain.

i just wanted to share this with you.

kind regards

fran
  10. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

Was not successful with Ritalin......thats me also. I am on ritalin 40 mgs a day, and I can still lay down and go to sleep. :( what makes the adderal different, or do you know, is it just maybe body chemistry? also on fentenal (sp) patch also, and thats just not cutting pain either :( I am at my wits end here.
  11. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I just read a bunch of onfo on adrenal fatigue and it sounds like there is still alot of conflict about it. I doubt my doctor would even test me for it and if she did it don't sound like the test is very reliable anyway. Thanks for the info tho. I didn't know anything about that. thnks again, Mick!
  12. Catseye

Catseye Member

Dorrene is right on. You need the mitochondria fuels. Here's the Myhill article on what to take, how much, and what they do:

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/DrMyhill-373.pdf

I can't function without these things, I take them all first thing in the morning.

best wishes,

karen
  13. magi

magi New Member

hi fieldmouse,my name is margaret im 48yrs old and i have suffered me/cfs for 22yrs,and i cant get the help from my g.p.so any chance you can send me a message and let me know your secret.im the opposite from you the last 3yrs,have been a living nightmare,and i could scream with the pain,im in today.great to hear that you are on the road to recovery,hope it lasts for you im new to chat rooms.and i came across this website.and i joined 2days ago,love magi.xoxoxoxo
  14. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Welcome to the board....Please fill out your profile so we can get to know you. Post a message that you are new to the board and tell us a little about yourself and your illness. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful. Lots of ideas and suggestions....Just tons of great support.....Again, Welcome and hope to see you around....God Bless and big hugs, mick!!(fieldmouse)
  15. DHgirl68

DHgirl68 New Member

Hey,
    Getting older has been rough for me, lost my energy, my zip, my pep. Started fooling around with supplements and researching on internet and found a great website by recommendation of a fellow blogger.

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-recommendations.html

Like an above poster said, you might want to get tested to see if it is Adrenal Fatigue Sydrome:

"You may have Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome if you are experiencing any of these symptoms:

* Fatigue, lethargy
    o Lack of energy in the mornings, and also in the afternoon between 3 and 5 pm
    o Often feel tired between 9 and 10 pm, but resist going to bed
    * Lightheadedness (including dizziness and fainting) when rising from a sitting or laying-down position
    * Lowered blood pressure and blood sugar
    * Difficulty concentrating or remembering (brain fog)
    * Consistently feeling unwell or difficulty recovering from infections
    * Craving either salty or sugary foods to keep going
    * Unexplained hair loss
    * Nausea
    * Alternating constipation and diarrhea
    * Mild depression
    * Decreased sex drive
    * Sleep difficulties
    * Unexplained pain in the upper back or neck
    * Increased symptoms of PMS for women – periods are heavy and then stop (or almost stop) on the 4th day, only to start flow again on the 5th or 6th day
    * Tendency to gain weight and inability to lose it – especially around the waist
    * High frequency of getting the flu and other respiratory diseases – plus a tendency for them to last longer than usual

All of these symptoms might be caused by an inability of your body to produce enough cortisol – the root cause of adrenal fatigue syndrome."

FROM: http://www.jigsawhealth.com/articles/adrenal-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms.html

Best of luck to you and keep on posting!!!
  16. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

Yes, there is a huge difference in ADHD drugs, such as Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Strattera......etc I think Ritalin is a pretty decent drug for children because it does not have the "potency" of amphetamine drugs like Adderall, Dexedrine and Desoxyn......I dont like the idea of kids taking these stronger medications, unless absolutely necessary, because of their developing nervous systems, hormone swings and lack of understanding of how serious these drugs can be......Hence, they can be abused and are abused by high school and college kids.......In fact, the last research I read, Adderall is the drug of choice for college students who want to pull "all-nighters" to study for exams.......Not to mention that some are using them in combination with alcohol and other recreational drugs, for a different type of "high"........This is why it can be difficult to acquire Adderall and Dexedrine from your physician.......We always suffer when society abuses drugs, its just not fair.......but I digress......

Ritalin is good for ADD, but Adderall is just unbelievable for "cognitive dysfunction" due to the 4 different types of amphetamine salts that are included in the drug......Adderall XR seems to be the best one, the XR or extended release, allows for a smoother ride and not quite the hangover of the original Adderall......Patients who dont respond well to Adderall should try Dexedrine, which is the same chemical makeup, but a different configuration chemically.......I did notice that Dexedrine was not as "smooth" as Adderall, left me with more of a letdown/hangover........but some people do better on it.....Everyone's chemistry is different......

In my opinion, Ritalin, Concerta, Strattera and others are not worth wasting your time......just not strong enough......That being said, start on a low dose with the Adderall/Dexedrine, 5 or 10 mg, and then work your way up after 4-6 weeks........most people do well between 10-40mg, but its best to start slow and work your way up......

As per my discussion with LisaPetrison, they are doing alot of research and treatment of head injuries and concussions with Adderall and Dexedrine now......And it seems that they are having great success in bringing back cognitive function and reducing side effects of the injuries......I follow football closely, and they are using these medications for players with multiple concussions and players are responding extremely well......The most recent player in the news, Ted Johnson of the New England Patriots, had to retire due to multiple concussions.....There was a recent article in the NY Times this winter where he stated that he could not function without Adderall...........Its also great for depression, which I can attest to myself.......I cant handle antidepressants due to the side effects, but do wonderful on amphetamines......go figure.......

If you research amphetamines, and "weed through" all of the political and FDA "BS scare tactics", you will see that amphetamines have been used successfully since the 1930's......In fact, they have been one of the most studied and successful drugs in American history.......Since 2000, they have been "red flagged" due to the sudden deaths of some kids in Canada and the US, but I question using amphetamines in kids to begin with and not to mention, what else they were taking with amphetamines.......There is always 3 sides to a story and the truth is rarely presented........Just look at how many kids have died from anti-depressants and alcohol, yet, there is no backlash with those drugs in our society......Yes, it upsets me, there are political undertones to limiting the most effective medicines in this country.....but I am not going to get into that right now.......

And just to let you know, I have spoken with 5 or 6 pharmacists, 2 of which are relatives, and they all say that Adderall seems to be more effective (smoother) than Dexedrine, but you will probably have to see which is best for you.........Good luck Mick........John
  17. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Mickie.

According to my hypothesis, the fatigue, as well as all the other symptoms of CFS, are caused by a block in the methylation cycle, coupled with glutathione depletion in a vicious circle that is chronic.

In order to really correct the fatigue, I believe that the methylation cycle block must be lifted. To do that, there is the full Dr. Amy Yasko treatment, which is not cheap, simple, easy or quick. I have suggested a simpler version, called the "simplified treatment approach," which is cheaper and simpler, but still not quick or easy to endure. I don't know of any other options that get to the root cause of CFS.

I'm not selling anything, and I'm not exaggerating. This is not a hoax. This is a new treatment approach, based on ten years of studying CFS. Some people on this board are trying it, and some have reported benefits in short times on it. We don't have long-term experience with it yet, but I think it has the potential to be an actual cure for CFS, since it does seem to address the fundamental biochemical problem in this disorder.

If you want to get more information on this, please click on my name. In my bio there are urls for the papers I've written. The one on treatment discusses both the full Yasko treatment and the simplified approach.

I hope this helps.

Rich
  18. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thanks filedmouse for bringing this subject to the fore again had posted it also a couple of days ago but goy no replies. I hope you get results from trying all those possibilities. I guess its try, try and try again untill you find what works and or they find the cause and the a cure.
    Also am finding it difficult to get any use of suggestions as i am from Australia and a lot of these supplements are not available here. Doctors here also prescribe different drugs it seems, would like to hear from any other Aussie and see what they are taking or being recommended....

I have been prescribed, Lyrica for the pain with addition painkillers like codeine and paracetemol, lexepro for the depression was prescribed efexor but the interfered with my petit mal, pariet for the heartburn and high blood pressure meds ( so I guess I dont have andrenal probs)
    I also take supplements, co enzyme Q10, spirulina, magnesium and a multivitamin in cojunction with a fibro juice and wheat grass shots 2 4 times aweek.
    All these are hard to stick to when you are exhausted!!!!!

Good luck to ya all
    in love n light
    Connie
  19. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I know the fatigue is worse than the fibro pain. I take Adderall XR 30 mg twice a day. It is used for hyperactive people, but with fatigue it does the opposite, gives you energy. At first you have a ton of energy, then that levels off and you just feel sort of human again.

I was on Cylert for years and that was taken off the market 2 years ago. Had a hard time since, Provigil did not help me. I also tried CoQ10, Ginseng, B Vitamins.

If you have not read it I would recommend From Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr. J Teitelbaum. It is great. Good luck.

M J
  20. that is one of my problems, today especially I feel like someone gave me a sleeping pill. I am going to start back on eating alot of protein and veggies, and less carbs. Thata really helps. And forget the soda/caffeine.

By the way that baby is adorable!