Need advice about new mattress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockymtnmom, Oct 24, 2006.

1. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Hi I'm new so forgive me if this is a topic that has been posted too much. Our mattress is 8 years old and I feel like I am sleeping on rocks despite my foam mattress pad. My rheumy suggested a tempupedic mattress with 3 to 4 inches of the good stuff foam. We are strapped for cash and are moving soon and these mattresses are SO expensive, but we could manage on time payments if it is worth it (I swear I'd steal beg and borrow for something to improve my pain and sleep!). Do any of you have good/bad experiences with these mattresses? If so, which model are you using? Thanks in advance!!!
    Kim
  2. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I love my tempurpedic matress. It is so comfy. I have just the basic matress.

I got it in June to use after my cervical spine surgery. I slept great even with that cumbersom neck brace on. Having a temperpedic mad a huge difference in being able to sleep with that neck brace.

Big problem. We got it for the spare bed downstairs so I wouldn't have to go up and down stairs after my surgery. Now I don't want to sleep upstairs anymore on my old matress that hurts too much. My husband keeps asking when are you gonna sleep upstairs. I tell him when you get a new matress for our bed upstairs. I wish we could afford a new tempurpedic for our king bed upstairs.

Just remember everyone is different so you have to go into a mattress store and try it out. That's what sold me. I layed down on it and it felt so good. I had layed on a high end regular matress and it felt like the springs were poking me and it hurt...they weren't really it's just my spine is so sensitive and painful. When I layed on the tempurpedic I felt like I was laying on clouds.

Good luck to you.

Jeanette
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear Kim,

I learned a lot about mattresses since I just got one recently, and I learned a lot of stuff.

Be sure you lay on the mattress you are considering for at least 20 minutes minimum, and rest on it in all of the sleep positions you sleep in at night. Take your time! Don't let the sales people rush you, and ASK IN DETAIL about their warranty and return policy. Most mattress warranties are useless, but some companies are a little better.

We are all so unique in what feels good to us. I personally didn't like the feel of the Tempurpedic Mattress, even though it's a perfectly good one and well made. You have to go with what feels good to you. Also, go with BANG FOR THE BUCK. You might see a nice mattress that is only designed to last 5 years (*ask the sales people how long the mattresses will last- they vary!), but then see another mattress priced higher (or about the same!) that will last 10 years. **IE, look at how much the mattress will cost per year. It may make sense to pay slightly more. (Believe me, I didn't have a lot of money to spend either.)

After a bit of research, we ended up getting our mattress at a local store that hand-makes their mattresses. They had MUCH BETTER customer service than the big chain stores, and their mattresses were far superior and prices were too. They use the highest quality latex (Tallaley) and several layers of it at that. And NO COILS that will break down. It's the best mattress I've ever had. I got a $4500 mattress for $2200 with tax for a king, and it will last 12-15 years. It was a lot to spend, but it will last a very long time. It supports my entire body.

Bottom line: Get the mattress that feels best for you, and consider locally owned stores. Also, check with the Better Biz Bureau to ensure that they are keeping their customers happy. Happy Hunting!

Sweet dreams, Erika
  4. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Thanks all who replied here and on my duplicate (oops - forgive me I had been up all night) message. I appreciate your input, it will be helpful when I make decisions about a new mattress - especially the need to lie/lay on it for a good amount of time!
    Kim
  5. gypsy101

gypsy101 New Member

OMG... a sleep number is the way to go. I choked when I saw the price, but my goodness...it's heaven.
  6. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

I bought a Serta with the pillow top. Love it!!! Paid $600
    for a queen. It has made a difference in the quality of sleep.Had to buy new sheets where the fitted is 18 inches.
    $100 for 600 count. Love them! Good luck and sweet dreams!
  7. janie056

janie056 New Member

My husband and I were looking for a bed and tried the sleep number, just could not get comfortable. So we tried this new type of water bed, it's the most wonderful bed I have ever had. the mattress zips inside what looks like a regular mattress, but the water mattress inside has these fibers in it that soaks up the water and it conforms to your body! And the heat is wonderful as well.
    These may have been out for awhile, I am not sure, but I have never seen them before and the salesman said it was a relativly new type.
    And it cost less than half of the select comfort.

Good luck.

Jane
  8. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

Ever since I started spending so much time in bed I have gotten this fetish for high-end sheets and stuff - the highest threadcount I've had was 400. 600 threadcount sounds like heaven - and for $100 WOW!
  9. PotomacG

PotomacG New Member

Skeesix is right on.

The outgassing of the foam on a new mattress is horrible. I had select comfort send me a second piece of foam which I layed out in my basement with fans 24/7. Once the outgassing is complete, it's simply the best bed around.

As to cost, they do offer consumer financing where you can pay over 12 or 18 months with no interest. That's how we did it.

If you really want to go nuts, add a feather bed on top with a first rate mattress cover over the feather bed.

You spend a third of your life there so don't skimp on the mattress.
  10. Beba

Beba New Member

apparently some Costco's sell a tempurpedic mattress that goes on top of your boxspring.
  11. buffyr

buffyr New Member

I got a Tempurpedic 1 month ago. I was worried because I have chemical sensitivities but I put it up when I was going to be gone for a 3 day weekend and had no outgassing problems. I sleep 100% better, haven't slept this good ever, even before the fibro. I go to sleep before my husband most nights and I don't even feel the bed move when he crawls in. Before it would wake me every time. They say the tempurpedic gets softer the more you use it for the first few months and I've noticed it getting softer, but it really was great to begin with. No more waking up with my rib cage killing me from lying on pressure points. As you can tell, I love it. I really do think this is personal as my sister has a Select Comfort and I slept on it a few times and hated it. She loves it though. She doesn't have fibro though. I'd check it out before you spend the money. My doctor said if it isn't tempurpedic it probably isn't as good, you get what you pay for. I bought mine brand new off of Ebay. It is a genuine tempurpedic, but I saved a couple hundred dollars that way.Hope you get something that's comfortable for you!!!
  12. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I have a memory foam mattress made by Park Place. I visited a showroom that carried Temperpedic and comparable memory foam mattresses and spent a whole afternoon trying them all out. I found the Park Place Sheridan to be firmer and more gentle on the pressure points than the top Brand name Temperpedic mattress. I found mine online at Mattress Doctor. They even gave me a break on the tax with a note from my doctor.

My sister who has multiple musculoskeletal problems tried mine on for size and ordered one for herself. They shipped it to her home for a nominal fee. We both have been well pleased with the quality and comfort of this particular brand. It does have 4 inches of memory foam and a reinforcement around the sides that is supposed to prolong the mattress life. It is not as pricey as the brand name Temperpedic but is equal in quality and serviceability.

That is my experience.. I love mine and I have not had near the instances of waking myself up tossing and turning since having mine.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  13. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

I've gone and spent time on a bunch of different mattresses. If you only try one style of tempurpedic, they can be too firm, for sure! But I tried several different models and found one (the Celebrity) that really feels great. It is softer, has more foam. It cannot be used as an adjustable bed because it is just too thick, but I think I'm okay with that - the only thing I'd miss would be the massage feature, not the adjustability.

I found when I lay on this bed that all my pain just disappears within 5 minutes of laying down. I have terrible costochronditis (rib pain and spasms) and what a difference this makes!

After reading these posts, I think this needs to be an individual thing - try as many types of mattresses as you can, and find the one that it best for you.

And don't skimp - its really important because of our pain and sleep issues.

Also - high thread count sheets sure don't hurt either!!

Happy hunting to all of you and thanks for replying to my post!

Kim
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Most mattresses are good these days. I have several Tempurpedic mattresses and would not have any other.

You can call the company directly and make small monthly payments. They also have a 90 day return policy.

If you are interested make to sure to contact Tempurpedic directly, not a retail outlet. They now have a pillow top model which we bought a year ago.

15. rockymtnmom

rockymtnmom New Member

The mattress with the pillow top (made from foam) you are talking about is the one I have decided to purchase, unless you got the very very top of the line - there are 2 with pillow tops but the Grand Bed is the "super luxury" model and costs about $7,000. I am going to purchase the less expensive version, the Celebrity, and I've been able to lay on it as long as I want to in a retail store.

I've found that it is definitely the "one" for me. There was one model that was definitely too hard for me. Others didn't have enough foam and weren't as comfortable.

I have to say the super deluxe model was unbelievably comfortable, but dear hubby ordered me off as soon as he saw the price tag! : ) It is not like the one we are purchasing is cheap. I feel really fortunate. We are getting an Rx from my doctor, and putting the mattress on payments with as large a deposit as we can make to keep the payment low. We get 2 of the $100 pillows included. The financing is 1 year same as cash, so we get a year to use their money for free as long as we make sure to pay off before the large interest baloon payment would be due at the end.

Just in case you don't seee this, I am posting to you about the retail vs. mail order, as I plan to purchase tomorrow or this weekend and I need to know why you feel this way.

Thanks,
    Kim
  16. lea

lea Member

Hope you are still enjoying your mattress. you mentioned that your foam is 4"; is that right; it is a 4" high mattress.
    thank you
    ane
  17. Engel

Engel New Member

apparently some Costco's sell a tempurpedic mattress that goes on top of your boxspring ...

That may be the answer for me. We have a Costco coming here soon. I will check it out. I looked at memory foam mattress toppers, but my bed is sagging right in the center.
  18. roseants

roseants New Member

I have a mattresss from Bragada. you can order it online. It's more comfortable that a tempurpedic and less tha half the price. It's latex and memory foam and topped with 4 inches of casmere with an aloe infused cover. IT IS GREAT!!!!!!! And came with free pillows! Google it