Need advice about sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Heirloom, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Hello. I'm new to the boards and would like some advice with some of my symptoms, especially the sleeping difficulty. I was diagnosed with fibro over two years ago. Of course, as you all understand, it has been an uphill battle, but through God's grace and a wonderful, supportive husband, I am hanging in there and learning to take one day at a time.

I was on trazadone for over a year but had to discontinue it due to heart palpitations. Since discontinuing it, the fibro pain and fatigue has been worse. I have tried most of the SSRI medications, too, but they haven't worked for me either due to side effects. I have been on Lunesta for about six months but read yesterday that long term use can cause CNS damage. I don't know what to do. I didn't take it last night and was awake until 4:30 this morning.
    Does anyone have any advice they can offer? Thank you.
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

This has been a major probem for me also.

Some people here are taking things such as ambien, klonopin, elavil. You might ask your doctor about those. Don't know if any of those are an option with palpitations, and I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that ambien and klonopin both have some potential for addiction.

I've had a little help with magnesium, but am still left with problems.

Some people are having success with the shake - recipe found on a thread called My Road to Remission. It is supposed to provide the raw material for the body to produce its own serotonin, a neurotransmitter which helps with restorative sleep. Should be safe. May take some time to kick in. I haven't given it a fair trial but am planning to do so.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Have you had a sleep study? That's usually a good place to start when you can't sleep. There are so many different sleep disorders.

That being said, often,it's a trial and error situation until you find the right med or combination of meds. Klonopin works for a lot of us, sometimes in combination with something else. Melatonin can be helpful as well asolthers that have been mentioned.

The sleep hygiene advice from Prickles is good.

Kahty.
  4. Heirloom

Heirloom New Member

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. My family doctor is open to suggestions, but my rheumatologist is so-so. I will definitely try these ideas. I think my family doctor did mention ultram during my last visit. Isn't that similar to ultracet? I will continue to try different meds and approaches until I find the best solution. Many thanks, again.
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My doctor has me take Zanaflex, despiramine and Neurontin at bedtime, gabitril 3 x a day to try to get me to sleep. We have been working on this for 2.5 years. I can get to sleep most nights with the cocktail but I still can't sleep for more than 2-4 hours. It's really frustrating for me. I listed my meds in case you hadn't tried these yet. My doc says that they would put most people into a coma - go figure.