need advice about ssi

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poppy34, Feb 24, 2003.

1. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

hi i have fibro. i havent worked in two years .im tring to get ssi .ive seen a ssi dr she said i faled all the test but i still was dened . i have headaches all the time ;my legs hurt all the time im on ultram and trasadone but it dont help much i had therpy 4times water therpy i eresice wich dont help .ivebeenon alotof meds which hasent worked my dr said he cant helpme onymore justgivememeds .doyouthink i have a chance . i have a lawer . please give me advice . im very descourge thank you for listen poppy 34
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

If you have a Doctor that is supportive i woul definetely try to do it. It seems as though you always are denied or most of the time the first time. I have been fighting it for a very long time and been through all that you have plus and I refuse to give up. that is what they want you to do. Best of luck and take care.
    Joannie
  3. Margie

Margie New Member

Hi Poppy,
    Iwas dx with fibro in October 2002. I also was denied from social security. As previously told to you before, get yourself a lawyer. My lawyer was appalled that I was denied, due to other Medical conditions I have. I had a pacemaker for my heart implanted in 2000. I had carpal tunnel surgery in both my hands. And have lately been dx with severe arthritis in my lower spine, neck, and shoulders. My lawyer also told me that all depends on what your doctors write in there notes. They have to specify that you can no longer work due to the fibro. My lawyer told me that I should be hearing soon from her. She also told me she has never lost a case so I am really counting on this. Whereever you live, check for a disability consultans in your area. They will take care of everything for you. GOOD LUCK, And if you want to talk caues I knowthis disease is hard to cope with, write me. I am here to listen,
  4. Peace7

Peace7 New Member

Dear Poppy,

Social Security - either the SSI or SSDI programs -
    don't care what your diagnosis is or what medications that you take.

What they care about is - Can you work?
    Not necessarily at your old job but at ANY job.

Can you take care of yourself well enough to make yourself presentable for work?

When you answer their questions consider your worst days -- not your best days.

When they ask if you can cook and all you can do is put some frozen thing in the microwave; or if all you can manage is to eat a protein bar --- that is not cooking.
    So, don't put yes to that question if that is your situation.

Explain your limitations.
    For example, I am not able to do .......
    What do you need help with now that you were able to do before.
    If you explain things such as I am not able to sit for more than 1 hour or I am not able to stand for more than 20 min. -- this will impact your ability to get a job and SS will understand that.

Explain the side effects of your medications (if you have them) Such as, this medicine makes me too groggy to drive, or, I can't stay awake and focused for more than 2 hours.

What ever applies to your situation.

Does your illness and chronic pain make you feel sad, upset, anxious or depressed. I think being unable to do the things you used to would eventually make almost anyone depressed. It seems that SS understands depression as a reason to be unable to work. Tell your doctor how you feel and make sure it gets into your records.

I think that even though I disagreed with my doctor's diagnosis of Depression (instead of CFS), I think that it helped to win my case. (I have CFS, very mild fibromyalgia, MCS and a tendency to be depressed at times). Right now, I'm receiving both SSDI and SSI.

Do read attorney, Scott Davis' articles, especially the one on Severity, Frequency and Duration.

Best wishes,
    Anne
  5. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

HI HOW ARE YOU IM NOT DOING GOOD IVE BEEN IN BED ALL WITH MY LEG.IM GLAD EVERYONE UNDERSTAND . IM WAITING TO GO TO COURT ABOUT MY SSI. I CALLED THEY SAID IN SI X MONTHS MY LAWER WELL GO TO COURT.SO I WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.GOOD LUCK ON YOU SS. THANK YOU FOR RESPONDEN . BYE POPPY
  6. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

HIHOW ARE YOU IM HURRTING TODAY. IM IN THE SAME BOAT YOUR IN IM WAITING TO GO IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE I HAVE A LAWER .I WILL GO TO COURT IN SIX MONTHS ITS A VERY LONG TIME . I WAS DENIED 2 TIMES THEN I GOT A LAWER .SO GOOD LUCK AND THANK YOU FOR RESPONING TO MY QUESTION BYE POPPY
  7. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

HI HOW ARE YOU IM HURTTING SO BAD IVE BEEN IN BED ALL DAY . MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME . IVE TOOK ALL MY MEDS , IEXERCISE IT DONT HELP IVE HAD THIS FOR 2YEARS ITS GETTING WORSE NOT BETTER , IM SO DEPRESSED I TAKE I T OUT ON MY HUSBAND. HE IS A GOOD GUY IVE BEEN MARRIED 20 YEARS . MY KIDS ARE GREAT THEY HELP ME ALOT , I CANT DO MUCH ANYMORE .IM SO UPSET I CRY ALOT I JUST WANT ONE DAY WITHOUT PAIN THANKS FOR LISTEN TO ME WRITE BACK.I STILL WAITING TO GO TO COURT IN SIX MONTHS I HAVE A LAYER SO MAYBE I WILL GET IT BYE POPPY
  8. CindyB

CindyB New Member

What are ssi & SSDI? and how do you collect both? I am preparing to go for SSDI.But I don't know all of the in's and out's.Please explain.
    Thank You!
    Cindy
  9. louguins6

louguins6 New Member

I just wrote a message telling how I got on disability--I'm Louguins6--please read it.