Need advice about tick bite

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by Babs41, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

My six year old son came to me the other morning complaining there was something annoying on his head. I looked and my heart fell to my stomach, it was a tick. Then he told about two days before he had the same feeling and scratched it off but it was much smaller than the one I pulled out.

Now, he was already on a course of antibiotic (amoxicillin) for an upper respiratory infection. I called the doc's office and they called in another prescription of amoxicillin to take for another 10 days.

We have a dog and cats, which I checked over very well and have not seen anything on them.

In your opinions, is this a good course of action with the antibiotic for 10 days? Are there any symptoms that I should watch for over the next couple of weeks? months?

Honestly, I have never really put much research time into Lyme so I am not really sure what to make of this situation.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Babs
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

you might check with ilads.org or lda.org and other non-profit organizations, generally it's recommended at least for 28 days by LLMDs, not the 2 weeks or less now recommended by the IDSA (Infectious Disease Assoc.)...

which is partially why lyme has become so controversial. The problem is that lyme has a 28 day replication cycle (compared to strep which has a 20 minute cycle!)... and can convert into cysts, hiding from abx...

I hope he doesn't develop any symptoms, but it's something to remember in the future if he starts developing any problems. Often lyme doesn't cause immediate problems as it can go underground in cysts and intracellularly, only to resurface later, sometimes years later.

all the best,
    Victoria

3. wld285

wld285 New Member

Hi,
    I can't be of much help to you, this Lyme thing is all new for me. Just wanted to say how lucky you were to find the tic. Most people don't even know.

I have been doing alot of reading and everyone should be more educated on Lyme. It's really scary.

Good luck
    Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2008]
  4. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

thank you all for your input. I appreciate your help. Does anyone know how long it would take for symptoms to appear? Is it immediate or does it take some time? Would the symptoms appear while on antibiotic?

Yesterday he started complaining of a headache, sore throat and a slight fever, but I'm not sure if it is still from the infection he was being treated for.

I am trying to read up on this so I can be armed with info when I talk to the doc. Thanks again.

Babs
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

about 40% get a rash, plus flu-like symptoms; but not everybody... very hard to tell what is from what. that is why it goes undetected often. Symptoms can be nonexistant from the start, or be very mild to start. Or can be huge. It varies all over the board. What the IDSA tries to say happens to the vast majority does NOT happen to the vast majority. Most don't know they've had it as a result.

Best thing is to get tested, now, and again in a month or 2. And again if he starts to show possibilities later.

Sorry it sounds so vague, but that's the reality of it all. All said and done, there are also those that never get ill from it.

all the best,
    Victoria
  6. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

well, I had my son to the doc this morning. He woke up with what sounded like croup.

Anyway, we talked about the tick. He seemed to think it odd to have a tick now, yet alone two. He said that lyme is not a problem in our area and even if he was bitten by a lyme carrying tick, we probably would never see it because it is so tiny. He said if the tick was large,(it was) it would not be one that would carry lyme. It would carry other illness, but not lyme. He wants him to continue with the antibiotics.

What do you all think?

Babs
  7. munch1958

munch1958 Member

by Stephen S Buhner. There is a protocol for what to do during an acute infection.

Then I'd run to the nearest LLMD for treatment. The best chance your child has for a complete cure if the tick had Lyme is to kill off the infection in the first phase.

I had a high fever, sore throat, muscle and joint pain which progressed to encephalopathy (brain inflammation), facial seizures, and acute kidney and liver failure. I had a lot of neuro symptoms which still linger today.

I wouldn't wait around for a conventional doctor to figure this out. I'm not trying to scare you for no reason but Lyme is nothing to play with. Ticks are dirty creatures and they carry co-infections too.
  8. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

Once again thanks for your input.

I will grab the book and give a read.

Munch, I know you are not trying to scare me. It's good to be armed with information and that's what you have done for me. Thanks.

The doc did say that carry other infections. When did your symptoms (high fever, sore throat, muscle and joint pain which progressed to encephalopathy (brain inflammation), facial seizures, and acute kidney and liver failure) appear? Was soon after you were bite?

Babs

9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

We went on the first camping trip right around July 7th. Then we went for another weekend camping trip 3 weeks later. I was admitted to neuro intensive care on 8/8/01. It didn't take long for the rest of the symptoms to appear.

I think I was bit as a child and this was my second go around with Borrelia. Maybe my two strains were at war with each other. I already had what I considered "CFS" and "FM" at the time of the 2001 tick bite. Was it too much for my already overloaded immune system?

I think I got bit as a child during a trip to the Ozarks in August, 1969. My joint problems began about 6 months later and my skin rashes started the following winter.

I know I typed up the Buhner protocol in another thread here on the board for someone with a new bite. Maybe you can search for that old post.

How is your child doing? Hopefully, it was not a tick infected with borrelia. Not every tick has it. Saving the tick and taking it in for testing is one way to know but by the time you get the results it may be too late to catch the infection early enough.
  10. Babs41

Babs41 New Member

thanks for asking about my son. So far he seems to be ok. I haven't seen anything suspicous going on and hope I don't ever!! With all the info provided here, it really gave me a heads up of what to look for. Glad you are doing well!

Babs