Need advice asap on possible antianxiety meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deb06, May 19, 2006.

1. deb06

deb06 New Member

Hi there. I see my psychiatrist this afternoon. I am going to ask him about possible antianxiety medicine to take to supplement my zoloft during anxiety and panic attacks that lead to flares. Xanax did nothing for me. I don't want to feel drugged like my muscle relaxer.

Is there anyone out there is my shoes that has some suggestions. Deb
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Klonipen and Ativan and have had very good luck with these meds. When all of this started 9 years ago, I took pretty healthy doses, but over the years, I have weaned almost completely off. I have my ups and downs, but pretty limited use anymore.

So, I would suggest these. They've worked and that's what I wanted.

Sue
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I agree that Zoloft is one of the best for anxiety; maybe just increasing the dose will help. I also use Rescue Remedy quite often with success. Ativan had also worked for me and in small doses, it doesn't make me sleepy.

Kathy.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Never was strong enough to treat depression for me, but when I developed anxiety as a side effect of being on Wellbutrin for years, I added St. J's and it works. If I'm on Wellbutrin alone now, I think bears and serial killers are around every corner, implausible, but hard to fight w/ reason. Still on the two of them now, but I take my St. J's dose near bedtime, well away from my Wellbutrin in the daytime. I didn't ever have anxiety except for Wellbutrin.

Jeanne
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

1/2 usually does the trick if I get overly anxious. It does make me sleepy if I take the whole pill though.
  6. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I can tolerate two Xanax 25 mg each for anxiety/panic attacks. I haven't found anything else out there that works without sedation. I can take my Xanax and still function so that is what I stick with.

TxSongBird
  7. deb06

deb06 New Member

I am just beside myself I guess. I have been on paxil, effexor, amitryaline, and tried xanax with no effect. I have been the best I ever been on 200mg of zoloft- so I can't go higher. I have also tried cymbalta and others mentioned above.

I just feel that I am always on edge anticipating stress and anxiety and pain and my muscles are in a constant state of tension. I can fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and can;t stop myself from overreacting at the tinies things. So many years of pain and the immediate pain I get from stressed has messed up my head.

I feel if I could just get a grip for awhile I might get a handle on things. I also have frequent panic attacks. I always assume the worst.

I thought my axiety would get better having disability but it is still always there to some degree.

It is such a struggle to just feel "happy" and every time I do- I know that very shortly something will happen to take it away, and it inevitably does.

I imagine you all know and understand, right?!

Love,
    deb
  8. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

I too have always dealt with anxiety and panic attacks, even as a small child. I always feel that something bad will happen, even when things are going smooth. I get bad feelings and when I express the thoughts, some of my family thinks I am nuts. I try to look on the bright side of everything, but sometimes the anxiety prevents me from doing so. Have you tried psychotherapy for dealing with the anxiety along with meds? I have done this and it works and I feel as I get older I calm down some and realize that the attack won't kill me and I can get through it at my own pace.

TxSongBird
  9. deb06

deb06 New Member

I did grow up in an alcoholic and abusive household which did keep me in fight or flight and thing always DID go real bad.

I just got back from my psyc. appointment and he put me on neurontin.

any experience anyone?

Debs
  10. addictedtobrew

addictedtobrew New Member

Klonopin for anxiety and love it. I take .5mgs twice a day.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to tell you that zoloft and amitrypytiline both make me very jittery and anxious. I think Ativan may work for you.

Strangely in NY State it is listed as a narcotic, though in other states you can get it more easily.

My DH takes it and he is very anxious, and it calms him right down. It is also very cheap. Some doctors will not prescribe it which is silly, as it works very well.

Love Anne C
  12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Are you getting any counseling? Dealing with the issues from your alcoholic and abusive family and learning how not to always expect the worse might reduce your need for drugs.
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I took buspar for a while (for anxiety) and it was somewhat helpful. Unlike xanax or ativan, it's not sedating at all and is taken daily instead of as needed. You may want to check into a med like buspar. God bless, Anne Theresa
  14. bct

bct Well-Known Member

But then I am very old-fashioned.
  15. deb06

deb06 New Member

I do have a chronic pain counselor but we never go into my past stuff at all- just the current. I don't know why...I have always had much more of a problem with anxiety than I have ever realized. Every problem I have problem has some correlation. I used to be so nervous that my hands would drip sweat like a faucet. That quit that bad but they still do it when I am really anxious. I do have panic attacks just thinking about leaving the house at a time that I have an obligation and have to feel good. I am a mess.

My husband says anything critical, which he does alot- and I almost want a divorce. Can't he see what that does to me. Instant pain. Its like he wants me to hurt. Why doesn't he say some positives- like ever!?

I have asked him so many times to talk nice to me and to complement me sometimes. I have explained that my whole identity has been ripped from me and I have noone else that can give me any positive to go on. He can't be that smart cause no matter how much I talk nothing changes- ever. I am DONE.

This is why I went in to get some additional help. Cause I really don't think my life will be better getting a divorce. I can't handle ANY negative- it is soo hard to feel good about myself, and to have the little bit I might have ripped away is devastating for me.

I recently told him happily when he came off the road about something small I had figured out for me. He said instead of GREAT- he said "why don't you instead spend your time doing something that could help the whole family" Is he an idiot or what !? He said he didn't mean any bad and he was "kidding". Yea he is frickin funny ain't he? The only time he is REALLY nice to me is when he knows that I can't stand him...

So it was an attorney (ha ha) or the psychiatrist.

The neurontin is already helping a bit I think. I have taken half my normal amount of pain pills today and I felt good enough to see a movie- alot for me.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Deb
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2006]
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I know you are not too interested in more supplements but look on the web at Serelyn.
    I ran across it a few weeks ago.

I have suffered with anxiety for months. I'm really not into supplements myself for fear of allergies.
    This stuff has really helped
    Thet also have companion products for sleep and depression.
    (I believe Amolym and Mellodyn).
    Seredyn contains passion flower extract,Valerian and L-Theanine.
    When I take it I have a sense of "well being" and calmness.
    I'm also seeing a therapist and it is helping. So many of our problems stem from childhood and we just carry them right into adulthood.
    Hope you feel better soon.
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's meant to be an herbal sleep aid, and usually works for sleep. But it is very relaxing at a lower dose and when it doesn't quite work for sleep, it still makes me mellow and reduces pain.

Valerian is the numero uno relaxing herb and you can get it anywhere and very cheap, my sleep combo was only $5. And I do mean anywhere now, any pharma, or any grocer w/ a pharma section, as well as any health store will carry some combo of it.

Jeanne
  18. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Is your psychiatrist doing anything for you besides prescribing drugs? Maybe you need to see a psychologist/social worker/whatever for some counseling. Your pain counselor is probably not trained to deal with life issues. Some marriage counseling for you and your husband might not hurt either.
  19. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Deb. Yes, I too take Zoloft (50mg). Also, I take Klonopin, 1/2 milligram in the morning with the zoloft and later in the afternoon I'll take either 1/4 milligram or 1/2, depending on how I feel and we all know when we feel horrible, it increases our anxiety. I also find the klonopin helps my muscles to relax. I've tried other anti-depressants, but zoloft seems to be the only one I can tolerate.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Rene
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And it has been a God send for me. It is in the same family as Xanax, though, so it may not work for you. Taken in larger doses, it causes one to feel sleepy and I take the larger dose at bedtime. Taken in very small doses under the tongue, it can greatly relieve anxiety and sensory overload.

Dr. Cheney has an excellent article on Klonopin in the Library here. He believes that many of us live with a constant state of low-level seizure activity in our brains. Our neurons misfire and overfire, producing the symptoms. It was my psychologist who worked with me and suggested that my doc write an Rx for the Klonopin.

I am now trying to wean down on the Klonopin as I've improved my health to the point that I want to see whether I still need it.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie