Need Advice, Diazepam Klonopin Vicodin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, May 5, 2008.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I went back to the ER again with incredible abdominal pain and am on antibiotics for diverticulitis.

I actually asked for a psyche nurse visit this time to ask her for advice on my emotional state which gets so bad during my inside and outside body pain flares and distress feelings.

Throw in my nervous system which has gone berserko also. Prickly feelings, weird chills, can't take too hot or cold....nerves seem on edge every second.

That day I was in such a dark space emotionally along with all these internal and external problems I got scared.

I was ready to be commited to tell you the truth.

After being examined medically by the ER staff the psyche nurse came in and talked to me.

I told her the absolute truth about my emotional feelings and my last two years of unbelievable physical and emotional exhaustion due to this day-in and day-out what-ever-this-is nightmare.

She was very professional and nice and considerate (oh how I appreciated that ) and she honestly stated she couldn't say anything about ADs. But she did talk about anxiety and meds for this.

I asked this psyche nurse to be honest with me and tell me where I was psychologically.

She couldn't really give me an over-all emotional assessment ( only a psychiatrist could do this ) but she did say that after looking at my records the last two years one or two things were absolutely clear.

One, I was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress and I was in the most extreme range of anxiety. She did say she didn't think I was psychotic.

But she said I must consider taking some form of anxiety meds and trying to get into some form of pain management program.

I mentioned how broke we were and she sympathized but had no answer for the money issue.

But she mentioned Klonopin ( spelling? )

I told her I carry around a security blanket bottle of diazepam 5 mgs which I hold off taking until I am almost on the floor in a fetal position because I don't want to get addicted to this stuff.

I am more and more however, accepting the fact that I can't handle this anymore on a day to day basis without these I am breaking down and considering taking these every day.

Can you all tell me what the best choice of anxiety meds I should take. The good sides and bad sides of each based on your own experience?

Please, no Lorazepam though. I know that stuff goes in and out of your system in 20 hours but I couldn't manage that stuff and it made me feel worse.

Thanks, JB

2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

How is Xanax different than Valium and Klonopin?

Any side effects? Can you mix this with pain meds and anti-depressants?

Is it a benzo?

Do you build up a tolerance for this and have to take more every year ?

You say that one can just walk away from Xanax if they stop feeling anxiety? No withdrawal symptoms? Wow!

I took Lorazepam once a day for about a month or two and I would forget to take it and I didn't know that it leaves your system pretty quickly...and I found myself in depression hell and panic city so much I was racing to ER's just for this! It wasn't until I was talking to a psychiatrist later that I learned that this stuff goes in and out so quickly and once your body gets used to Lorazepam you need this almost daily.'s bananasville.

Man, those withdrawal symptoms from Lorazepam were nightmarish.

And also...why are we so nerve system broken ? Every day I am shaking now. Every day I am so disfunctional with this nerve system thing I ...I just don't know.

What is making our nerve system become so damaged we shake and can't function every day!

When I first got this whole mess it wasn't this bad. Now two years later it is almost so bad I feel I could lose it.

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am sure Klonopin is excellent for anxiety but it has the same dangers of tolerance and is very hard to get off of. Having said that, you need to make a choice about the quality of your life and the potential side effects you may eventually deal with for all the anxiety meds.

I really feel sorry you have been through so much. I hope you can find a good doctor to help soon.
  4. maryl

maryl New Member

JB: I take Lorazepam and after years, I still get relief from 1/2 of a 1 mg. tablet. That is usually for a 24 hr.
    period. But different meds work for different people.
    From all I've learned and read over the years regarding
    Valium, I believe it is the least preferable choice.
    It can help the anxiety, but increase depression. I did not like it at all. I honestly believe taking Xanax is the
    better choice. Klonopin is also helpful, but is more seda-tive, depending on your body's response of course. Xanax
    gives you sort of a feeling of well being, so you would
    want to limit yourself to the smallest dose that helps.

As far as antidepressants go, unfortunately you have to keep trying til you find the right one for you. But if
    you go back to the psychiatrist, (from your other post,)
    he has the knowledge to help narrow down the choices. For example: some are geared for obsessive compulsives, like Norpramine. (No, :) I don't mean you) Others seem to increase anxiety like Prozac. Some of the older tricyclics like Imipramine are more sedative but make you hungry. I got a lot of relief from Celexa but that was after trying about 5 or 6 of them over several years.
    More recently my psychiatrist has added Wellbutrin which helped me thru a really rough spell. Many people think the Wellbutrin is a nightmare so....(But some of the newer ones are not all they are cracked up to be especially the ones that give you a bad time when you quit, like Cymbalta.
    I don't mean to discourage you, because I am a great believer in these kinds of meds. Also, I was a psych nurse for many years. Just trying to give you an idea of how important it is to be totally honest with your shrink so
    he or she can find the right one for you. I have been where
    you are, in that hole....I promise there is a light at the
    end of the tunnel. I will pray for you because that has come to be my very best medicine.
  5. donna10

donna10 New Member

There are withdrawal symptoms from Xanax. Please be very careful, because they can be bad, including possible seizures if you go cold turkey. Don't just take someone's word about a drug (perhaps for some reason their situation influenced not experiencing withdrawal.) You need to taper off slowly. Xanax can be addictive and should be taken cautiously.
  6. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I have been taking diazepam for almost a year now.. 5mg 3x a day. I don't take it for stress or anxiety, I take it for Myofascial Pain Syndrome. I find that if you're relaxed, your body is relaxed also and your muscles- (the myofascia part) -are relaxed so they don't cramp up as much. Before I started taking it, I was in so much pain that I was crawling to the bathroom to empty my stomach.

If you have MPS, you can take diazepam for both your anxiety and your MPS. If not, the diazepam still might help. This is just what helps me and may not help you... Hope you find a good treatment plan.

As for the pain, mine is somewhat different since it's from bone spurs so I take Norco and Oxycodone. Norco 4x a day and oxycodone 2x a day if necessary. I'm allowed a total of 6 a day. (every 4 hours) and usually only take the oxy at bedtime.

If you don't have health insurance, you might try getting some from your state - (welfare).. Sounds horrible but it's there for those that need it.

[This Message was Edited on 05/06/2008]
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Our nervous system is affected because our illness is neurological in nature (may not be the cause but it is involved).

I just got back from Georgetown to participate in the Georgetown study for abnormal proteins. Dr. James Baraniuk also believes in klonipin to reduce the flight or fight reponse of our CNS. He suggests .5mg twice a day. and moving up a little more but not much.

He strongly suggests that we dont take any of the other antipressants as the brain chemistry is off and that lyrica and cymbalta don't usually work. (of course, we are all different).

I hope to start klonipin too soon. Also, Cheney believes that Klonipin protects our brain as it increases GABA and reduced glutamate which is an excitotoxin.

8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Guess I missed this post, they move to fast. So sorry, you are suffering with this HORRIBLE ANXIETY as if the pain etc. isn't bad enough.

My experience is about the same as Sutherngrl's post. I did suffer with anxiety before cfs/fm, was on xanax for about two years or longer, everyday, 3 to 4 times a day, as my anxiety improved I would forget to take them and before I knew it I wasn't taking xanax at all.

It was wonderful to be anxiety free, then when this darn DD hit my anxiety came back soooooooooooo much worse and different. I thought I was going to go insane or was already there. The doc put be back on xanax , I didn't want to take it regularly but decided I would for a week .

Well that was about 5 years ago I have taken it everyday for 5 years, I would have days that I wasn't going to take it but finally I decided if it helps why not. Heck with addiction , dependence or whatever. So I take .25 mg 3 to 4 times a day.

Wish I could say I was completely anxiety free but I am not. I would be housebound if it wasn't for xanax but when in crashes, lots of stress or over do I find it always there so if I need extra xanax I take them.

Xanax has been a good drug for me but we are all different so not sure what will work for you. I do hope you find something soon. Klonopin was to sedating, so didn't really give it a good try, lorazepam I have taken and it really helped with heart palps but seems like it made my depression worse. My doc did tell me xanax did help with depression.

I do worry, what it might be doing to my liver as with all meds but I guess I will be on it the rest of my life.

Good luck to you and please let me know how you are doing and if you have a med that helps.

God Bless,
  9. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

both of these drugs are very addictive! i was taking both of them for my fibromyalgia and became addicted, and i was taking as the doctor prescribed. i tried to stop xanax and went through withdrawals. i ended up in rehap for a week to stop both of these drugs and i'm happy to say it worked. that's why i'm on the lyrica. please be careful.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think you need to weigh out the pros and cons. I understand your fears about meds, but in my opinion and it's just my opinion - quality of life is what matters. You are clearly suffering.
    Yes many of the meds that we are taking can be addictive. That doesn't make us bad.
    I actually hope that someday I won't need my medication, then I will go off of them with the help of my doctor.
    I wish I could give you advice about the particular meds you're asking about. I have only taken Xanax a couple of times - it knocked me out. Some people I know - it has been a life saver. Nothing wrong with that - nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

Kitty - when you say you got addicted - did you just not need your meds anymore? Is that why you decided to go through rehab?
    It is very common for our bodies to become dependant on a particular medication.

Joe- I hope you find the help and the answers you're looking for. It's time for you to start enjoying your life!