Need Advice filing for Canada Pension Plan Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jordane, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jordane

Jordane New Member

I am fr.N.S. Canada.I am looking for some advice on filing for Canada Pension Plan Disability.I am currently on EI,off wrk because of CF and FMS.Have concerns terminating EI for CPPD. Have heard a LOT of horror stories in the filing of CPPD.If anyone has any info to help me out I would REALLY appreciate it. THANKS!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I have been getting CPP Disability for 5 years and was approved on my first try. I had my Rheumatologist fill out the Doctor's form and I had a lawyer help me with my form. Their criterion is that you cannot work at any job, not just your current job. They need to know details as to why you cannot work, not just the diagnosis. Pay careful attention to those details, i.e.how your disability prevents you fromm standng if you have to at work,carrying things, moving tables, typing, doing a lot of reading and focus work etc.

I gather from others that approval is not guaranteed the first time. However, don't give up!! Appeal the ruling if you need to and again, a lawyer is very helpful. It may take several months to get your ruling.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been receiving CPPD for 12 yrs, got it on the first try. I have also helped other people file for CPP and they all got it on the first try.

However, as pianowoman said, do not give up if you don't get it! Keep appealing until you get it. If you deserve it, you will get it.

Be very specific in your description of what you cannot do. Do not describe your worst day but not your better days either. Do not say "never" or "always" because that is probably not the case. When you are filling out this form, do not be optimistic at all. Be as pessimistic as you can - but at the same time make sure that you tell the truth.

When answering about how you cope with the activities of daily living, say "Most days I ..." You can also say "On my worst days I am unable to do ...." You can also say "Even on my best days I have difficulty doing ...."

It is necessary to be very descriptive and very specific. We have become so used to adapting our lives that sometimes we forget that the person reading this does not realize how different you are from your healthy self. Try to keep your healthy self in mind when you are describing what you can and cannot do now.

Remember that the person reading your form will picture you as your healthy self. It is up to you to change that view to what you are really like now.

If the form does not leave enough room for you to say what you need to say, include an extra sheet - but make it no longer than one page; otherwise it won't get read.

I hope this helps.
    If you have any questions, please ask.

Good luck with this.
    Pepper
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Pepper and Pianowoman both have good advice for you. I have a posting on here from one or two months ago which gives more help for you. I will look it up and post again to let you know where to find it. Also got mine on first try. Marie
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The posting I am referring to above is titled "How I did it" dated Dec. 14/05. Let me know if I can help you more. And, don't let ANYBODY tell you that you won't qualify. Marie
  7. Jordane

Jordane New Member

You All have been so helpfull,it is so scary,to me,to deal with this.To worry about how to get help,if I am doing it right,who to see ,etc.I know you all know what I mean. Again I cannot express how much it means to me to have your help and support.
    Take Care and God bless you all.
    Jordane