NEED ADVICE FOR CHRONIC SINUS INFECTIONS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucky, Nov 25, 2002.

1. lucky

lucky New Member

Like some of you on the board, I have been suffering from chronic sinus infections for years on end. And like you, I have tried everything to get this problem under control. The suggestions I have read on the board, I have followed faithfully over many many years. And, I am drinking so much water now until it comes almost out of my ears, but ....... with all of it ..... no results.
    Tomorrow is another day when I have to see the doctor and another time when I will get a prescription for an antibiotic. One thing I have learned by the way suggested on the board was, to take Nystatin with the antibiotics, which I did the last time and it really was helpful.
    My doctor believes that the only thing which would help me is Gamma Globulin (?) which only cancer patients are getting here in Canada which our Health Care System is paying for, to get the immune system functioning again.
    But, meanwhile, I have tried various antitiotics which are useful for bacterial infections and have various side effects from all of them. Cipro has the worst effect on me and I try not to take it.
    Does any of you have any suggestion which meds has helped them best with the same problem and for how long they are usually prescribed for. I believe that meds prescribed only for 5 to 7 days are just not enough. I like to get some input so I can tell my doctor tomorrow that this is just not adequate.
    I would really appreciate some of your input. Thanks, Lucky
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

Like some of you on the board, I have been suffering from chronic sinus infections for years on end. And like you, I have tried everything to get this problem under control. The suggestions I have read on the board, I have followed faithfully over many many years. And, I am drinking so much water now until it comes almost out of my ears, but ....... with all of it ..... no results.
    Tomorrow is another day when I have to see the doctor and another time when I will get a prescription for an antibiotic. One thing I have learned by the way suggested on the board was, to take Nystatin with the antibiotics, which I did the last time and it really was helpful.
    My doctor believes that the only thing which would help me is Gamma Globulin (?) which only cancer patients are getting here in Canada which our Health Care System is paying for, to get the immune system functioning again.
    But, meanwhile, I have tried various antitiotics which are useful for bacterial infections and have various side effects from all of them. Cipro has the worst effect on me and I try not to take it.
    Does any of you have any suggestion which meds has helped them best with the same problem and for how long they are usually prescribed for. I believe that meds prescribed only for 5 to 7 days are just not enough. I like to get some input so I can tell my doctor tomorrow that this is just not adequate.
    I would really appreciate some of your input. Thanks, Lucky
  3. AJME

AJME New Member

I too suffered/suffer from Chronic Sinus problems. The problem has been reduced by 60 to 70% now though.

I use to live in a city along the coast where the atmosphere was VERY humid. The house I lived in was on
    a cement slab with carpet through-out the house.

I don't know if you know this but this is the PERFECT recipe for the breeding of microscopic dust mites.

Dust Mites too small to drink water so they absorb their
    water through the air. (humidity)

Cement slabs in houses are pourous and will hold/seep humidity. The rug on the cement floor acts as a breeding incubator for the dust mites since most people don't clean up under their rugs (especially rugs that are permanant....wall to wall).

So the humidity coupled with the dust underneath the rug is a perfect breeding ground for Dust Mites and cause serious
    sinus problems in people.

I now live in a wood floor Condo (with another apartment below me) in a much lower humidity area and my sinus conditions are much improved.

Thanks!
  4. achy

achy New Member

It's funny you posted this today...I have to go have A CT scan of my sinus in a few hours. I had an MRI in April to scan for MS...they found chronic sinusitus instead.
    My doc didn't let me know about the results until my next visit wiht him a MONTH later, so I went wihtout any treatment!! He put me on amoxicillin for 15 days....Then my ear started bothering me. He gave me ears drops, but they didn't work, so I made an Appt with an ENT.
    I have read that many sinus infections are caused by fungus, not bacteria. That is probably why the antibiotics aren't working...they won't kill fungus. My doc was giving me antibiotics for my ear too...the ENT told me I had a yeast infection, not bacterial.
    The best advice I can give ya is to use a saline nose wash to wash out your sinuses. You may also try 600mg guaifenesin, AND a decongestant to get things opened up.
    That's what I've been doing, I can tell you tomorrow if it worked or not, after the CT.
    Good luck
    Achy
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

that I got great input re my sinus problems. And all of you have done and are doing excactly what I have been doing, am doing, but with better results than I had or have.
    My home environment is healthy with an electronic airfilter (we can filter out a lot of dust, etc.) brick build house, partly wooden floors, etc., I have had scans (nothing showing), I am taking daily doses of lactobacillus, I am taking alternatives, drinking a lot of water, etc. The climate has also a lot to do with it, I am sure. I live in the Toronto area with lots of trees and leaves falling right now and damp and wet weather occasionally. This is the worst time of the year for me to have one infection after another. We are and have been escaping the winters here for years, and some destinations were a great relief for a little while.
    Slowly, I am beginning to wonder, because my problem has been existing for the past 15 or more years, that there must be more to these infections. For once, I believe more and more that mold is probably playing a great role because that's the time I get these infections mostly and may be candida which my doc is not acknowleging yet. However, when I had an appointment with a surgeon re my abdominal pain and I told him of the many years of antibiotic treatments which probably caused candida and then the IBS, he was listening. After other tests, next appointment will be in Jan.
    But, there must be some meds out there to boost the immune system. Just read something interesting about Kutapressin as an immune modulator. Will research it, but the question is, if a GP is prescribing these meds. Anybody familiar with this med?
    But, any help is welcome - I appreciate all your inputs. Thanks. Lucky

6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

As I wrote Achy recently, I suffered from chronic sinus infections for years on end---was often on antibiotics for periods of months, would go off them, only to be sick again a few weeks later & back on them again. I finally went to a good ENT who felt that my allergy problems were so severe that they were causing my sinus passages to swell constantly, therefore making me much more susceptible to infections. I finally got my nasal allergies under good control----for me that meant testing & shots for three years. I also did Flonase during the part of the year that was absolutely the worst for me in my climate. After this program, not only were my allergies much improved--I literally never sneeze now, after being a person who sneezed constantly & was congested always---but I haven't had a sinus infection in years! I don't know that the root cause of ALL sinus infections is underlying allergies, so I'm not saying that---but you might check this out with a good ENT who also does allergy testing, or an allergist.

Good luck & hope you get to feeling better!

Pam
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

for your advice. I also had this all checked and had shots which did not agree with me at all. So, that's why I am at my wit's end now. I have and I am trying, and my doctor tells me again and again that the only thing he can do under the circumstances is to prescribe antibiotics. My argument is, there must be something on the market which will boost the immune system.
    This is the next research I am doing, therefore, any experiences and help is valuable. I already have been on antivirals, no help, I have had all the nosesprays which you can name, no help....., etc......But, also I get great help and input from you guys because it shows me that this problem is not mine alone and others suffer as well and...that people do care on this board. Love to you all, Lucky
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

for your advice.
    There are so many reasons for these infections in CFS/FMS and allergies are one of them. Well, I probably need a bubble then, may be that would be the answer, but would it ever be lonely and boring.....Kind regards, Lucky
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

Let me tell you my sinus story and how they were "cured".

I got my first sinus infection in 1976. Every year from then on I had one sinus infection after another all winter long. Each sinus infection required at least 3-5 wks of antibiotics. Basically I was on antibiotics from October to May with very little time off and occasionally in the summer too.

I live in Ottawa which is very humid and moldy and I am very allergic to mold, so I am sure that was a contributing factor.

One of the other teachers on my staff suggested I try chiropractic to see if it would help. I thought she was nuts and ignored her advice.

Thd Christmas of 1989 (or 90 -can't remember), I missed our family dinner because I was so nauseous and in bed with another sinus infection. That was when I decided I had had enough and would try anything to get rid of this problem - even if it seemed like voodoo!

So I made an appointment with a chiropractor who discovered my neck was slightly "out" and adjusted me. After that, whenever I felt a sinus infection coming on, I would get an adjustment and it never materialized.

After that first chiropractic appointment I had NO sinus infections until last spring that's about 12 years! I felt it coming but I didn't see the chiro thinking it would go away on its own. It didn't, and I required 3 rounds of different antibiotics to get rid of it.

My sister and my aunt had chronic sinus infections for years. When they saw how the chiro helped me, they both tried it. Neither one of them has had a sinus infection in years either. They do what I do and visit the chiro when they feel one coming.

I know this sounds crazy - and, quite frankly, I don't think the chiro is much help for a lot of things. However, because it has helped the three of us, I have to think that it would help others as well.

Once the sinus infection has taken hold, it is useless to go to the chiro. When taking antibiotics (like I had to for so many weeks in the spring), open a couple of acidopholus capsules and sprinkle it on yogurt. Mix it in. Have a small bowl with every antibiotic. I did this in the spring and my IBS didn't act up at all!

Good luck. Pepper
  10. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

We had a rather extensive conversation about this a while back, and i hope there's something in there that helps. I've bumped it to the top for you; it's got something about not eating and green & yellow snot in the title. Sounds gross, but we've all had these problems!
    Good luck,
    Stormy
  11. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i just replied to another post about this so hopefully i will remember everything i said.

for 10 years i sufferred with chronic sinus infections 3 or 4 times a year. here is how i solved the problem for me.

we moved, we lived surrounded by huge oak trees and leaves laid on the ground year round. try to stay indoors when the pollen count is high. i suspect it was the mold thing with the leaves on the ground year round. wet and moldy.

i worked in a very sick building, lots of toxic fumes, poor air quaily, worse than an airplane.

i ate yogurt everyday. yogurt is not good for the sinus.

so after i moved, quit my job, stopped eating dairy (yogurt) haven't had a sinus infection in 3 years. if i feel a little stopped up for a day or two, i will start on a claritan type rx to clear things up fast. only a few days of this and i can stop.

hope this is helpful,
    warm regards, fibolady
  12. lucky

lucky New Member

that I got so many great messages, each one of them had great input and I can slowly see, what damage all the many antibiotics have also done for the system and I am trying to follow some of your advices. However, many of those great and good suggestions I have tried without any success, except to see a chiropractor which Pepper suggested. May be it is worth a thought and ultimately a try after my visit tomorrow with the doctor. With the sinus infections I also end up with bronchitis, etc.
    I also was able to get a list for safer antibitotics for CFS, i.e. which are generally friendlier to the GI tract. There is a long list of all the penicillin and penicillin derivatives which make these infections much worse in CFS.
    By the way, I am surrounded by huge oak trees and others as well, and I am sure that they are the problem of a lot of my mold allergies.
    I am not looking forward taking antibiotics again, only took them mid-October for the same problem, because they sap me of my last energy and some of them make me even depressed or angry. If I would name all the things I am doing for prevention, there is no end to it which shows that the immune system is not responding to very much and needs a big boost of something......and/or what I believe that viruses are the culprit of it all and as long as this is not addressed properly, how can all the many other problems we are having be properly treated. But, I am not giving in or up and will also listen to all of your suggestions and I am sure that I also will find a better way that I do not have to go through this misery all the time.
    I believe I have 3 chiropractors around me, and who knows, just like Pepper, if one does not try, one never finds out.
    Again, I am thankful for all your messages and if anything has helped, it is the support and also the understanding you shared with me. Thanks again, Lucky