Need Advice for Tests !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KathiM, Feb 26, 2003.

1. KathiM

KathiM New Member

I know this question has been asked/discussed somewhere before but for the life of me I can not find anything on it so please excuse me and my fibrofoggy mind !!!

I am going to two new Drs. and I want to be sure and get ALL the tests done that I should possibly need.
    Hopefully if they are any good they will know all this but if not a discreet "suggestion" wont hurt!!!!!

Any possible help will be appreciated

Thanks
    Kathi
  2. healing

healing New Member

Kathi, I don't know what tests are right for you. I can, however, tell you what tests I have had done. Madwolf can probably give you a more comprehensive list.

Thyroid function
    the test for Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Allergy tests, including food sensitivities and possibly an IgG Assay
    Oxidative stress (Great Smokies)
    Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (Great Smokies)
    Detoxification Profile (Great Smokies)
    C. albicans Immuno Assay for yeast overgrowth
    Gluten Antibody Assay

you should be tested for Lyme titer, chlamydia pneumonia, and a host of other infections -- again, I believe Madwolf will have the correct list. I can't recall all the tests I've had over the past 15 years -- sorry! Hope it goes well at your doc's.
  3. gcalex

gcalex New Member

There are literally hundreds of tests you could do from the very basic (complete blood count, thyroid panel, sed rate etc.) to the relatively obscure (intracellular mineral levels, glutathione, urine organic acids, human growth factor, etc.). Much depends on whether you are seeing a conventional or alternative doctor. This is too complex a question for a simple answer in my opinion. I believe there is a section in Dr. Teitlebaum's book where he makes some recommendations about basic testing. Also on the web you can find lots of stuff written by Dr. Cheney about tests he likes. Hope this helps.
  4. gcalex

gcalex New Member

I found this on my hard drive that I copied from one of Dr. Cheney's many articles. It probably assumes some of the very basic tests have already been done:

A lot of the tests we order are really tests to prove that you have some of this pathophysiology. Do you have elevated RNase-L? Do you have elevated EBV, CMV, HHV-6, HHV-7, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia pneumoniae titers by Taqman assays? Do you have a coagulopathy? Do you have excess soluble fibrin monomer? Do you have TH2 activation and TH1 suppression? Do you show toxins in your urine that correlate with gut-derived xenobiotic toxins? Is your stool loaded with mercury? How do you respond to chlorella in advancing doses, which is a measure of heavy metal toxicity. We measure growth hormone. We measure it by two methods now. We measure exercise growth hormone increase. If you're normal, it should rise at least to ten nanograms, and most of our patients don't even get above one nanogram. We even do ITT tests, insulin tolerance tests. [An insulin tolerance test involves injecting insulin and measuring the effects; it is used to measure growth hormone, cortisol, and ACTH, adrenocorticotropic hormone, which stimulates the production of cortisol.] We do arginine challenge tests [to measure growth hormone], and recently we now have a 24-hour urine test for growth hormone, and I think that and the exercise test are probably going to be our best tests for growth hormone. We measure cortisol response to exercise. So basically we do enough testing to make sure that you fit the model of this disease.