Need advice from folks in cold weather states!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zenouchy, Dec 10, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

This might seem like a strange question (but hey that's what we're about here right? ;-)). I'm sorry this is a little long.

It doesn't get cold here in Texas that often except for a few short months, but when it does, it's pretty noticeable. Last night for example, we actually had sleet! My body is a bit strange with temperature (read below).

When it's really cold (which is at night time here because it's usually in the 60s or 50s here during the day and then it will drop to the 30s or 40s at night), I have a tendency to stay very cold for a few hours and then, when I DO warm up, I get VERY VERY WARM. What I do is dress in layers, which seems obvious. I also layer the bed with blankets. This also seems obvious.

I have a cotton comforter, another blanket on top of that, and then a down comforter. All nice and toasty. Here's my problem: the blankets are HEAVY, and I'm actually pulling muscles in my shoulder and breastbone moving them on an off to get them "just right"! And I'm an active sleeper which doesn't help either. When I'm really cold, i wrap the blankets around me (kind of like a burrito), and then when I warm up several hours later, I can't get them off me fast enough. I sometimes take some of my sweatshirts off too. The blankets are so heavy, I literally pull muscles! It hurts, and I'm tired of it. (I'm in shape too---I work out daily.)

I've tried one super warm down comforter, warmer then the one I have, but it was way too warm, trapping in too much body heat. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think flannel sheets would help? Or microfleece sheets?

Any idea and all ideas would be helpful. Thank you!!

All the best,

2. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Well, I live in central WI and this morning when I got up it was 0 (zero) degrees.

Yesterday and the day before it snowed 9" and the temperature was in the 20's I believe.

I gotta tell you I am constantly running hot or cold. so I always wear a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. Constantly all day I'm either taking some off or putting something back on.

And when it is a little warmer in the 50's I'm running around in shorts. LOL. When summer hits all I do is sweat because it seems harder to get that core temperature back up.
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you both for your replies. Monica, you sound like me, always taking something off and putting something back on!! Diane, thank you for your awesome blanket suggestions. I think something must be off with me because I just can't seem to find the right blanket combo: I have tried so many different blanket combos from our local Bed Bath and Beyond that I know most of their staff. I think I've bought and returned about 10 blankets! Thank goodness for their excellent return policy!

I have about 6 of their blankets now (we use different ones around the house to snuggle in when it's cold) and use 3 of them on our bed---it's warm, but heavy. That Lands End blanket looks divine though. Seriously tempting. Heck of a price also! I may try it. It really does look lightweight. Hmmm.

I'm wondering if an electric blanket would help in which I could adjust the settings?? I just don't know how I feel about going the electric route. What do you all think?

Thanks so much for your ideas.

Feel good and have a great day,

4. jole

jole Member

I too was not a believer in electric blankets, but have had one now for the past 5 years, and must say I couldn't survive without it. But I am sooo cold that I still use a fleece blanket over the top of it also.

Isn't it strange what all we have to wear now just to keep warm? I wear two shirts, flannel pants or sweats, socks, and sometimes even a jacket over that.....and the temp is set at 72 in the house. Yes, I go through periods of getting really warm at times too, but the cold is longer lasting and makes me hurt sooo bad.

People look at me like I'm crazy, but oh well. My life is what it is.

Try an electric blanket. Ours is a queen size, dual controls, and was fairly reasonable in price. ***Jole***
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm from Minnesota. I think everyone there has an electric blanket and a car heater so the car will start in the morning.

I have never tried all the exotic blankets and bed toppers that exist now. Seems like there otta be something, but it might take a lot of experimentation to find it.

I solved the cold problem by moving to California. But, of course, there are other problems here. Especially in a metropolis like LA.

Brrrrrrrrr. Uff-da!

6. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I'm a Canadian with hot'd think that would be a good thing! But it's NOT! I have the same problems...

This will sound weird but trust me, it works...when you are getting overheated under the blankets, try sticking one bare foot out from under the covers. Instantly starts to cool you off for some strange reason!

With fibro, I also struggle sometimes with rolling over in bed or moving about. Someone gave me this tip, and it works, too...try satin sheets, OR fold a satin sheet in thirds, and put it over your fitted sheet in the shoulder-to-hip area, tucking it in at the sides. The satin makes it easier to slide around and turn over! For you, with the heavy blankets problem, a satin top sheet would definitely help.

I never go to bed without my heating pad. Hope these help!

cheers, nature
    on the snowy shores of Lake Superior
  7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks y'all for your great ideas! Sounds like the electric route is a great way to go. I think it might more evenly distribute the heat on the bed, save weight (and my muscles!!) and save overall heating bills.

Naturebaby, I like your idea of sticking your footsie out of the bed. I'll try that! The satin sheets ideas are very creative too.

Rock, I didn't know you were from MN. Quite a contrast from CA. Indeed, the cold problem is solved, but yes, but you probably deal with things like smog from urban sprawl. Such trade-offs we have to live with, eh?

Jole, I'm sorry the cold aggravates your pain so much. For me, sometimes the heat makes it worse, and being in Texas, the extreme heat can really get to me. I can totally relate to layering clothes and very warm blankets like a lasagna (and two very warm socks) when it's cold! We had our coldest night of the year last night (got into the mid 20s), and I layered with three mid-weight sweatshirts so at least I could move my arms.

With all of those blankets and sweatshirts, I was STILL freezing, especially my feet! It was like that for hours, and THEN, I finally warmed up and was super hot and had to take off two sweatshirts, and two blankets and slept that way the rest of the night. Meanwhile, the temp in the house FELL 4 degrees!! It doesn't make sense at all!

Grammy, I will check out the Sunbeam electric blanket. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds wonderful! Your dogs sound so cute; what wonderful body-warmers! :)

Have a great day all and stay warm,

8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I always sleep in a t-shirt and shorts. For blankets I just use my lightweight quilt an a regular blanket. Plus I have a fan next to my side of the bed. I get hot I turn on the fan and fall asleep.

I also sleep with socks on and both feet are sticking out from the blankets. LOL.

My honey sleeps with a huge duvet, comforter and a light weigh quilt. I would die sleeping with all of that on me. So it makes it simple sleeping and he doesn't take away my blankies. LOL.
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We live in NE Indiana. Not a great climate, any season!

My DH bought me a electric blanket. I plan on using it today! We've had great luck with mattress warmer which lays under the sheets. For us, it is a good way to keep our bodies warm without 'hot flashes'! LOL If we didn't have adjustable beds, we'd have one on. We do on our traditional beds and they are so nice.

My mom has very thin, silky type of thermal leggings. You can but them at Target, Lands End, etc. They are very comfortable and not hot like the other kind people wear under clothes. I'm having trouble thinking. I know there is a better name for them...

You've had many suggestions, I hope one, or more, works out for you!

10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I see that you now live in TX also and as you know it is usually not very cold with sleet, snow and all that stuff there. I used to lived in NY but that waas many years ago when I was very young (-: !!

My blood as turned to water and I am cold a lot and I am also on Thyroid meds too. I always putting on and taking off clothes so usually dress in layers too lake some have said. It can also be 100 degrees outside and I have a sweater in the car when I have to go into the stores or wherever that has a/c and or fans. At home dh like the fans going esp in the summer and I have a sweater on. Some areas around here had snow and sleet. it was SOOO cold yesterday and terrible with the north wind. At least there is sun today and it is a bit warmer. We live north or Houston so it is colder where we are.

So do not feel to badly! Some have given you some good ideas. I may go check them out again too for a tip or too. DH is always laughing at me with my sweater on and off act.

Hugs and stay WARM my friend,

[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

That way you can pull off or add on what you need.

Most of us also have to fight the problems of goofed up body "thermostats" and delayed reaction time......

If you lived in a regular "cold clime" , flannel sheets could be helpful. A heated mattress pad can also be helpful. ;>0

Bleesings ,

12. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

It won't roll off the bed.

The underneath heated mattress pad a good way to go. With a heated blanket on top it makes a warm sandwich.

My pet peeve is that all the blankets sold in USA have automatic shutoffs every 10 hours. I want my bed warm all the time! The dogs were funny....telling the master to fix the bed.

I've heard that the band name "four dog night (or 3?) " comes from a saying about how many dogs one needs to stay warm overnight outside.

Cheers, mr bill
  13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have to be warm. Actually I'm very particular how I'm bundled up. Aren't we all? LOL.

I bought a micro fleece blanket at Target. It's thin, but my gosh is it soft and comfy! You can use it in the warmer weather to lay under. Right now, I lay on it, then I have a very soft comforter (cotton) that I use on top of me. It's super soft, not too heavy, so it moves and easily cuddleable (is that a word?) I can wrap it around me, put my legs over the top of it couldn't pay me for it!! I like weight, but too much is not good.

I also bought some very soft pillows at Hobby Lobby that I use under my legs or to put between my legs if I lay on my side. They're chenille I think and can fold over even.

Sticking your leg out works wonders when you get too hot!

I actually prefer the room to be cool, and to have lots of warm blankets. Even in the summer I have to have covers - right up to my face. My kids used to ask if I was chewing the covers.

I could never do an electric blanket. Even my heating pad makes me cranky if I get too hot. I almost feel sick to my stomach.

I'm sure they have different controls now. but about 20 years ago I had an electric blanket that I had to turn on about 20 min. before I went to bed to heat it up. (lived in a friend's basement) It was folded over on top of itself and it caught fire. (the whole bedroom!) So I think I have a fear anyways.
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi monica33flowers, ksp56, Granniluvsu, wildflowers2, B/C, therealmadscientist and janalynn!

Thank you all so much for your great ideas and for taking the time to write! I hope you are all doing well.

It sounds like everyone has their own great approach to getting and staying warm at night. I've been trying to find what works for me for years---hopefully I'll get it right soon. Our winters don't last long, so that's good. In the summer, it's super hot, and ya just can't get cool enough (but that's a different story!).

Monica, I use a fan too for white noise. It helps me block out other noises in the neighborhood! I stick my feet out of my bed too when I get hot.

Granni, so great to hear from you! What an especially crazy weather year for you all in Houston---first the hurricane and now the sleet and snow. A few days ago here in the Austin area, it was 75 degrees during the day, and then we had sleet at 9:30 at night! Can you believe it? You stay warm my friend. Sending you lots of hugs.

ksp, I think you might be talking about Cuddle Duds? Is that the name of them? We used to wear those when I lived in Oklahoma. They're very comfy. Maybe I should try those.

wildflowers, I don't know about the whiskey (ha ha), but I wouldn't mind some pretty wildflowers in my room! Those sound nice. I like your screen name!

Hi B/C! I'm so layered, I'm like a lasagna! :) If my internal body temp weren't so wacked, it would be perfect. But of course b/c of our DD, the layering goes awry, and I'm always taking clothes off and putting them on, and the same goes with the heavy blankets. I'm pulling muscles in the middle of the nite. Ouch! I usually have 3 sweatshirts on and 3 big blankets that go on and off. A couple of times is no big deal, but it happens so frequently that it's very tiring. It's a great weight-loss concept though. Love that aspect of it. ;-) I'm going to try the flannel sheets though. Thanks!!

Hi therealmadscientist, thanks for your rec. on the heated mattress pad. Hadn't heard of it before until you and a few others mentioned it. Sounds neato! Just googled "Three dog night" and found this: Check them out!

Hi Janalynn, thank you for your input on the electric blanket. It sounds like maybe it shouldn't have been folded, but just the same, that is SCARY! Before you told me that, I was having some fears. There's something about going to sleep with wires on top of you. Even though a warming blanket sounds so cozy, what if something goes wrong? If you're sleeping, you're helpless to fix the situation. Thank goodness you WERE NOT sleeping at the time!!

I think they are indeed made better now, but nevertheless, I am a safety nut. I checked out some of the elec. blankets today, and I could easily FEEL the wires inside the blankets. They didn't feel very comfortable. Maybe it's not the best option for me. Thanks so much for your other great ideas re: the blanket at Target and the Hobby Lobby pillows. So many awesome ideas here.

I think for right now, I'm going to try flannel sheets and wrapping my head and ears in a lightweight soft blanket. (My face and ears tend to get really cold). I found some flannel sheets at JC Penney half price and then I had a coupon on top of that! If that doesn't work, I might try micro-fleece sheets. There's so many other great suggestions here to try. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it!

Thank you all for your WARMTH (pun intended) and FRIENDSHIP.

Warm hugs (there I go again!) to you all,

BILLCAMO New Member

That the almost continual putting on and taking off off layers can be counted as vigorous exercise ! ;>0 LOL I use this approach to answer the "exercise questions" on some of the polls I answer..........:>} We all do what we can ! :>)

There is no bad news. ROFL (Some things are better to be ignored........).lol

Warm Christmas Wishes & Friendship !

Blessings ,

16. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

You must be in wonderful shape. I think I am too based on the same concept. We could start a "nocturnal exercise video" and make millions! ;-)

Warm Christmas wishes and blessings to you too!

[This Message was Edited on 12/13/2008]
  17. teacher

teacher New Member

to keep your head warm. I know it's old fashioned, but they have these lovely satin things at hair supply stores. Keeps your hair from getting tangled up and stuff too.

A much cuter (and lighter) option than wearing an entire blanket on your head. (Your word picture made me laugh)

Keep warm
  18. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Erika,
    We've been a tad cool out here in WY! It all depends what you want to spend. If you get a winter weight down or wool comforter you should only need a sheet (I use flannel) and the comforter. The down being a little more light weight than the wool. It'll cost a bit more upfront, but will really pay off.

Take care,
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have the same problem regardless of whether it's warm or cold. I snuggle up under the blankets and then, a few hours later, I wake up feeling hot and kick off the blankets. When I lived in CO, I had an electric blanket. They are good to turn on before one goes to bed to warm it up and then, turn it off and climb in. It cools down about the same time one is starting to heat up. I'm in CO now and it's been realllllly cold. I head back to FL today and will be glad to see the palm trees bending in the balmy breezes. Still, I will miss this crisp air, the beauty of the mountain backdrop, and my family.

Love, Mikie
  20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you all for your great suggestions and for taking the time to write. I hope you all are doing well.

Teacher, the sleep cap sounds like an awesome idea! I don't care how "old-fashioned" it is. :) Should be much better than the big blanket I'm using. I need to look into that. We lose a lot of heat from our heads, especially when we're sleeping and not moving around to stay warm.

Kbak, indeed, it must be just a "tad" cold in WY! Brrrr! I guess you get used to it after awhile. The wind chill in Cheyenne, WY (not sure if that's the city you're in) is 25 degrees. That may actually be warm for you. I don't know how you all deal with highs of zero! I admire that. Still, we have highs of 110, and I detest it, so it's definitely a trade-off, that's for sure. Thanks for the down comforter idea!

Mikie, I'm so glad you had a safe trip to CO. I wonder if we feel more profound effects of the cold weather because our bodies aren't used to it? It's been such a roller coaster ride here in Texas with the weather. We've had highs in the 30s for a few days, now highs of in the 70s for a few days, and then it will go back into the 30s (and the wind chill makes it feel colder of course). The body doesn't know what to do!

I've been sick since early December and have felt VERY COLD----unusual chills all day long, and my body doesn't normally respond this way when it's cold outside; it's usually my favorite time of year. It's 73 outside right now, and I'm wearing a fleece sweatshirt. I'm usually very warm-blooded. I'm kind of freaked out that something is really wrong b/c I saw my doctor and my blood-work is fine (of course a good thing), but I'm still achy and freezing. I have fibro and not CFS/ME, but I'm wondering if this is indicating CFS/ME. Hate to be paranoid, but I'm so confused as to what's wrong with my body. The basic blood-work doesn't usually give FM/CFS/ME patients a lot of info. I should do a separate post on this I know too I realize. You're very knowledgeable in this area though!

Anyway, I appreciate your electric blanket idea. I don't like the idea of sleeping all night with the electric blanket because I'm a bit concerned about fire danger, but I love the idea of letting the electric blanket warm up the bed BEFORE going to bed, plus it solves the issue of me getting too warm also. Great idea!

I'm so glad you had a great trip and a safe one too. I'm understand missing loved ones; mine are all in different states also (except for my husband). Sometimes there is a little let-down returning home from a trip. However, I bet when you see the crazy-freezing weather much of the country is having, and you are basking in the warmth of Florida, that will help somewhat!

Love to all,