Need advice - herxing from coconut oil

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by donna13210, Mar 31, 2013.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I know that herxing from ingesting extra-virgin organic coconut oil (EVCO), is a common occurrence. I also know that herxing is a good thing in that my body is ridding itself of toxins. The symptoms I get are extreme nausea, bloating, headache and diarrhea.

I have been searching online for over an hour trying to find out how to handle the herxing. Do I have to just endure these symptoms and wait for them to end? Or can I take an OTC medication, such as pepto bismol? I feel that if I take medication, I'm just putting more toxins in my system, which is defeating the purpose, but these herxing symptoms are pretty hard to take. I can't function for the rest of the day once it hits, and I feel so miserable.

Also, when the herxing starts, do I reduce the amount of EVCO I'm taking, or do I continue at the same amount daily? Will the herxing only last a couple of days, or will it go on for weeks??

Could sure use some advice about this. Thanks!

Donna
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I don't know if you are herxing or just having a common reaction to starting out on coconut oil. I am putting a link below that people have discussed their reactions. In it someone mentions the directions, which mention two symptoms you are having:

BR>

http://paleohacks.com/questions/7292/nausea-from-coconut-oil
  3. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Very informative article. Hmmm, I guess there's no way to tell if I'm herxing or if I'm having a reaction. But when I first started the EVCO, I DID work my way up slowly, starting with 1 tsp daily. I didn't have a reaction to that first dose at all.

Thanks again,
    Donna M.

4. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Sorry to hear that you've been fighting candida issues. I'm not even sure if I have candida but it's certainly possible.

I'm taking the coconut oil to try to ease the pain from a case of Costochondritis that I am fighting. I've had it over two months now and the pain has been excrutiating, since I also have Fibromyalgia. I've been wanting to try EVCO anyway, for all the wonderful things that it does. I'm actually getting quite discouraged because I have SO many health problems, and have been taking the coconut oil for two weeks now, and nothing has improved so far. I expected the EVCO to get rid of my ribcage pain fairly quickly, especially, and it's improved a little, but is still hanging on. I don't want to be one of those people who have Costo for the rest of their lives!!

Gelcaps would surely be more convenient, but I wasn't sure about their effectiveness, so I just bought the EVCO in a jar. Have you researched much about the gelcaps and their efficacy?

Thanks!
  5. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Thanks, but there's no way I could afford Anatabloc. If I did the free trial and it helped my fibro pain, then I'd just be frustrated when I couldn't order more.

So for the past 2 weeks I've been trying the Coconut Oil that everyone is raving about - but I don't seem to be getting the good results others have experienced. But that's typical for me, unfortunately. The EVCO helped a bit, but the remainder of the ribcage pain just won't let up. It's just clinging to my ribs in defiance - like dust on a Swiffer! LOL

I go to see my Rheumatologist tomorrow, so I'm hoping he can come up with something creative.

By the way, you do know that people should not take Nsaids on a long-term basis, right? And no more than 6 extra-strength Tylenol per day? I mention it only so you don't develop stomach problems.

Thanks!

6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Funny you should mention turmeric, as I've been taking it twice daily for several years (500 mg capsules). And I was struck down with Costochondritis anyway - go figure, right?

I just stopped taking the turmeric a few weeks ago when I started the coconut oil. I wasn't sure if I should take them together.

But thanks.
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Wow, you really had a lot going on with the RA, Sjogren's, Lupus & Candida! You must have been so miserable. I'm so sorry you went through all that.

And yes, I did cut back on the CO and no more herxing. But there's also not been much improvement with the Costo, so I'm going to start increasing it again, but more slowly this time.

So Diane, just so I understand correctly, are you saying that the Coconut Oil cured you of those medical conditions?
  8. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Guess you showed that Rheumy, didn't you?? How wonderful !!

I'm going to have to look into candida more carefully. I don't have any of the symptoms you mentioned above, but I'm sure candida can cause a wide variety of other symptoms.

And my Costochondritis is almost gone! After suffering with so much pain for over two months, this is a welcome relief. I'm still only on 1 tblspn of EVCO daily, so I don't know if the Costo was on its way out anyway, or if the EVCO helped it. But I'm done with the Rx pain pills, heating pads & cold gel packs! I only have to take ibuprofen once in awhile, and will hopefully eliminate that soon.

Thanks for your support and all the info.

Donna M.