Need advice: I keep forgeting to pay my bills on time.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylight, Apr 17, 2006.

1. daylight

daylight New Member

Don't laugh please..... I know that we all have to pay them and I really don't want to pay late fees. Is there a website that you know of that would give me a reminder notice when the bills are due????

D. (A.K.A.....DE,DE,DE (dUHA)
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

DUH! That's me!! Set as many as you can to auto draft from your account. Even the water bill can be done that way here. It's awesome! No more worries about having the electricity or gas shut off because I can't remeber what's going on!!
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I have had this problem for a long time...I will even get them ready on time and leave them in my purse or in the car and forget to mail them...sigh...ahh the fog...sucks doesn't it? LOL ;)

I have used a new system for a while now that seems to work for me.

As soon as I get a bill I fix it up to mail out and mail it out ASAP. I do not put any mail in my purse, or lay in the car seat...I hold it in my hand until I get to the post office or give to LIL (live in love) to mail.

I never bills from home (theft).

I have started making most payments by phone using my checking account some will allow you to make a payment up to 10 days in advance (this helps me).

To find calanders just Google calanderhome dot com or free calanders.

One I am going to look at is RememberIt dot com it is free and does have email notices...might be worth a look see. :)

Good luck, I am sure you will find a system that works for you,

Karen

4. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I just wanted to let you know that I checked out RememberIt dot com and I like it. It has all kind of options for finance, personal (birthday, etc...), appointments, school, pets, cars, Holidays...you name it.

You can set up any you want for email notification or all...LOL

I think I am going to use this.

Thanks for posting the question and giving me the opportunity to find something that I think I will use and that will come in handy.

Thanks,

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2006]
  5. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

We have two small businesses, and a total of three checking and two savings accounts and massive bills. Just want to say, I finally got a fibro diagnosis today, and finally realize why it has gotten so hard to pay them on time.
    I hope you find a remedy that works.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I used to have that problem many years ago until I realized how much this cost me. If you want a shock (or wake up call) - get a copy of your credit report (online) from Equifax. If you have been making late payments it will be recorded. This also affects your credit score so if you ever get any loan, they will charge you a high interest rate.

Fifteen years ago I started monitoring my credit report and became obsessive to pay all bills on time. It raises your credit score.

Also remember that one late payment stays on your record for seven years!!!! If you do check your credit report and see the late payments don't be discouraged.

If you start making the payments on time, it will begin to improve the credit report right away.

These days even when you apply for a job employers will look at your credit report to see if you pay bills on time.

I have no secret way to pay bills on time - I usually write a check the very day the bill comes in. You might want to try that if possible.
  7. cookstove

cookstove New Member

I had always been a very organized person, so the forgetfulness and fog that accompanied this have done a great number to my self confidence.

After a year of paying bills late, forgetting to enter items in my check recorder, etc. I gave up and got help.

First of all I arranged for every bill to be paid directly from my checking account. Then I bought a large calendar and everything goes on that calendar. Special days, appointments, etc. It is in the kitchen where I have to see it each day. I check it several times during each day. My husband is trained to check it now too-he always asks me what time my doctor appointment is and after noticing that I occasionally get the wrong time (let alone the wrong date), he checks out the calendar every evening so that he knows the schedule for the next day.

And last but not least are the post it notes in various sizes throughout the house. I should have bought stock in that company.

Lots of good ideas to add to mine in this thread. Thanks for posting it.
  8. daylight

daylight New Member

So many solutions.YEAH!!! Maybe if I can find a calender large enough my forgetful husband just may see to use it as well. Or at least that sounds good in theory. But I'm gonna do it any way.
    Maybe he'll remember our anniversary this year??

I used to be a very organized person but within the last two years I save everything for that "just in case" moment.
    Of course when that moment happens I can't remember where I left that piece of paper.

You all may have just placed me on the road to clutter bug recovery.

Thank you all!
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

or they can email your statements to you...

j
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I would put it on the refrigerator-can't miss it!Linda
  11. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I set up a spreadsheet. I have one day a week when I pay bills. (I programmed my cellphone to alert me, like others have suggested here :).) I enter information like "new charges," "interest," "minimum due," "amount paid," "date paid," etc. in different columns.

Then I set up the next column for the next month. I put in my anticipated due date based on this month's due date. As I'm paying bills in the current month, I scan the next month to anticipate what will come in the mail next month. Why? In case I misplace a bill (happens more often than I care to share,) I can still pay online, or call the company and pay by phone, even without the bill in hand.

I do have one place for my bills. I organize them by date due. As long as I can get them from my mailbox to the bill basket, I'm fine :).

I have to say, I must be the dissenter when it comes to having utility bills, phone bills, etc., automatically withdrawn from checking. Very risky IMO. What if something unexpected happens, like an incorrect bill, unexpected fees, a radical adjustment, or someone making toll calls without permission, etc, that puts your checking account in the negative?

I once had a $300 electric bill. Turns out that tiny drip in the bathroom was causing the water heater to run 24/7. Ouch!

So I have bills like that go on a credit card with a good-sized free margin -- just in case. Then pay that amount off when the credit card bill comes in. Sort of a safety net. (However, if you keep a high balance in checking, this might not be a problem.)

When you pay your credit cards/bills online, you can set the payment date for later in the month. This is very handy for paying the bill on bill-paying day, but still delaying the payment to at least a few days before the due date.

Hope this helps :)!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2006]