Need advice/input PLEASE!! Medicaid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chopindog, Dec 15, 2005.

1. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I don't have any health insurance because when I first got sick after the three month FMLA, my job fired me. I never imagined I would be sick a year and a half later (and sadly, possibly forever) So I opted to not keep my cobra. (This goes down as one of the worst mistakes in my life!!!).

So I have applied for medicaid, they are reviewing my dissability eligibility at this time. I get $1650 a month from Unum Provident my LTD company.

If I am approved I will have to pay medicaid close to $800 a month to have the medicaid. I don't know what to do. my pain Dr. doesn't accept medicaid, and every MD I know of who works with CFIDS pts all don't take medicaid either. From what I understand medicaid will not pay for labs, tests, or meds perscribed by non-medicaid providers.

I don't know what to do! I really need insurance, but is it worth it for $800 a month if I can't find doctors who believes and will work with me on trying to fight this disease? HELP!!!! This delimma is driving me crazy!!!!
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i read it just a minute a go. i was a nurse getting ready to got to pa school and working 12 to 14 hour shifts in a busy er. got mono and my eppstein barr titers were very high and i am just now feeling a little better 6 years later.
    congralations on what you have accomplished, i to come from a bad family (abusive step mom) background.check out my bio and see if you see a reselblence ?
    about medicare, i would think you shoud be able to get it, when i got sick i was working at the ford motor company on the line 11 anda half hrs 7 days a week.my doctor thought i needed a break from the er before i went to pa school. i had no insurance from ford but did have to wait some time before i got the medicade/medicare. cant remember how long. have you checked out thier web site www.medicare.gov ? i get $733.00 by the time they take out child support and i only pay $56.00 a month for my ins.
    well good luck and nothing lasts forever. when i first became sick i was bedridden and thought i would never even get a hearing , but they had lost my file and it took me 3 /12 years to get ss disability with a attorney. hang in there and use this board, people here are great !
    bill m in trenton mo
  3. wangotango

wangotango New Member

as a nurse you might find this very informative, look up immune care 64 in the net and on this site look up dr joseph brewer he is who i see and specializes in cfs and the virus HH6A-B from mono/eppstein barr/ virual mennigitis and how it become a stealth virus and makes the person's blood hyer coagulate which causes the fatigue after any kind of physical excertion. pretty good info.
    bill m
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

pick up a private that would cost less per month and then have medicaid pay your premimum and medicaid will pick up the co-pay....

it is called the hippa program for disabled people at high cost expenses.... i don't know why you would pay 800 for the medicaid i thought you were qualified basedon your income....

i know in our county they have another plan for people that don't qualify for med-ical here in cali...county will say you hav eto pay the first x amount amount...check around...

jdoie

free clinics maybe
  5. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I was having a strange day, I realise now that if I do get approved for the medicaid, it doesn't mean I have to keep it and pay for it every month. Sorry I have taken so long to respond! Some days I just don't have it in me to sit at the computer and think!

Bill, thank you for the info, we do seem to have a lot in common, I have not yet rad up on the HH6A-B thing, but I do plan too!

Jodie, My income is far to high for medicaid. As a single person you have to have less than $900 income. If you have more than that then they take it from you so that you can get the medicaid. I have checked the private insurance route and with the deductables and copays, and monthly payments, I wouldn't have anything to live on. They hear pre existing condition and screw you. The medical and insurance world are sick and wrong!

Willow, thank you for your kind words! Kind words are always appreciated!!! Joy
  6. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I went through it a few years ago when I became disabled. Thank God I have Medi-care now (though the changes may be scarey), and Medi-cal.

There is nothing worse than being sick, in pain and having to worry about health care and how your going to pay for your Rxs.

I'll pray that something works out for you. I too was "weeded out" after 9 years at my job because of my illness and health and insurance costs.

There was a special on the state of health insurance last week that was REALLY scarey. Our country is in deep ca ca and really needs to do something about it. It's not as if they haven't had years to do so. They new baby boomers we're going to be needing services in the next 25 years. But was or is our country ready for it...NO!!!

Anyway, don't get me started about that. I'll sent good thoughts your way and take care. At least it's nice to know we have the wonderful support of our friends here.
    Hugs,
    Sandy
  7. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I read your profile and saw your picture, You look great!!!
    (not saying your not sick, just a compliment!)

About health care. It is absoulutely crazy. I am 28 years old. I have a nursing degree and was a very good addition to society! Now I can't get the health care I need to help me get better. So then one more positive person to society is shut down!

It would make so much more sense to give me some good health insurance, that covers doctors who can help with this DD so I can get back to being a positive contributer to society. Or atleast so I can have a good fighting chance of getting better!

I want to work, I want to go back and do hospice! I feel like it is my calling in life! But there is no way I could ever consistently work any job with my degree of this illness! I try to leave the house for more than 3 hours I end up bed bound, throwing up, with vertigo and horrible pain, tremors, Blah blah blah, for days. My normal condition increased by 100%. How could I possibly work a job?

I just want a good fighting chance to get better! Thankyou so much for your post and your thoughts!!!! I am blessed to have found this website!!! Joy
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Since you are a health care professional, maybe you could work from home. For many years I worked from bed (on a heating pad). Talking on the phone and using my laptop computer.

I had my office set up in the bedroom including the printer and fax machine.

I am not sure what you could do but you could start thinking....

If you do apply with a company to work from home, I would not tell them you are sick or have any problems.

You might do just fine if you can rest as needed during the day.