Need advice on epinephrine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by malibu805, Dec 4, 2002.

1. malibu805

malibu805 New Member

Short history: Had immune breakdown from toxic exposure leading to adrenal adenoma, fibromylgia, diabetes. I think the HPA axis is involved somehow but don't really understand it. Beacon of hope? Dentist gave me a shot of local anesthetic containing epinephrine prior to dental work. It stopped migraine headache, dizzinss and weakness and it lasted for 3 weeks. This has happened twice. Now that I'm through with the dental work, what shall I do? Question for all of you: Do you know of a natural oral or inhaled form of epinephrine I can use as needed? The dentist wont inject me without dental work, my internist thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Mali
  2. malibu805

malibu805 New Member

Short history: Had immune breakdown from toxic exposure leading to adrenal adenoma, fibromylgia, diabetes. I think the HPA axis is involved somehow but don't really understand it. Beacon of hope? Dentist gave me a shot of local anesthetic containing epinephrine prior to dental work. It stopped migraine headache, dizzinss and weakness and it lasted for 3 weeks. This has happened twice. Now that I'm through with the dental work, what shall I do? Question for all of you: Do you know of a natural oral or inhaled form of epinephrine I can use as needed? The dentist wont inject me without dental work, my internist thinks I don't know what I'm talking about. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Mali
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

in my fridge at all times due to chronic angioedema and hives that are quickly life-threatening. I notice that when I use it, my pain is less severe. This is dangerous stuff, though, and docs don't prescribe it unless you have serious allergies and other immune system problems. I have used epi-pens which are just too expensive when you have to use them often and I have used sus-phrine which is long acting. All of these are injectable.
    I hope you can find some answers from others on the board. Just be careful with this....it can have serious adverse effects.
    Love,
    Kady
  4. kaths

kaths New Member

Hey, Malibu 805, let me know if you find an epinephrine inhaler. I have CFS and have lived in Malibu for 20 years.
    Welcome to the board!
    Kathy
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Your adrenal history would steer me clear of trying that.
    I have a mass on my upper lobe of left kidney in close proximity to adrenal....I am having overactive adrenal symptoms....
    Thinking that epinephrine....could really throw your adrenals into a fit....not to mention alot else could go askew....I don't think this is a good treatment idea. Not to mention all the other significant systems epi can affect. When adrenals get in a hyper or hypo mode, I have heard it is sometimes very hard to restore them to normal activity.
    Is it possible that it wasnt the epinephrine in the injection that the dentist gave you, that provided relief, but the anesthetic agent?
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2002]
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I agree with everyone above that epi can speed up the body, heart and other organs. I would save epi for emergency only--someday it might save your life.
    When I go to the dentist--i get carbocaine without epi---it numbs me down without the 'speeding' effect of epi. Even if you do have some allergies or immune disorder that causes you pain, dizziness, etc,---epi is an emergency drug only.
    Sorry it's not a miracle cure for FM/CFS pain--sure hope you feel better soon.
    Tania
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

cause everytime I've had epi at the dentist, the tissues of my mouth slough off..... new people be wary of new meds!! Good luck!
  8. malibu805

malibu805 New Member

Thanks so much for the input. I do have an adrenal neurotransmitter problem and am looking for a way to help it. Have an epi pen for severe mold and chemical allergies. Have inhaler (Intal) for the asthma. I don't know if it's the epinephrine or the anesthetic that helped me but the dentist thnks it's the epi. I need a new primary doc because mine is clueless. Maria, where in Malibu are you and where is your nutrition practice? What herbs would you recommend to help with my problem? Thanks, Mal
  9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Hi-Dee-HO! I am "regular" here who has been on a hiatus for the last two months.....I have contributed to this forum going on three years.
    Normally epinephrine is restricted on local anesthesia as its purpose in denistry et al. is to help the effects of lidocaine wear off; in our case, lidocaine is lucky if it will even "numb" us much less last more than a very and I mean very SHORT time. I am one of those that cannot be localized and have gone through the pains of agony I hope for the last time.
    Epinephrine is used in extreme circumstances as the other respondants have stated. Before I came down w/FMS I used to take ephedra ie. "mini-thins", sudafed which is pseudoephedred (sp). to fight fatigue but you could choke one down my throat at this point.

There are safer medications for pain and for fatigue. Love CactusLil'