Need advice on muscle relaxants...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IEMom, Aug 5, 2006.

1. IEMom

IEMom New Member

I have been off meds for almost two years. I had a baby and nursed her. During that time my HMO discontinued Soma, which was very effective for me.

I need to find a new muscle relaxant. Robaxin does nothing for me. Flexiril and Elavil are too strong. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I should ask my doctor for.

Any advice is much appreciated.
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I use mobic and they just came out with it's generic - so it will be cheaper!

Hope this helps,
    Susan
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi...I have taken Baclofen for years. It's an oldie but goodie. I take 10 mg 2 or 3 times/day. It helps as much with pain as anything. Hope this helps!

Also, it doesn't make me sleepy, but if I do go to sleep, it is usually deep (like in the afternoon) with Baclofen.

Blessings, Ann
  4. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

hey mobic is an anti inflam much in the line of viox but now that that is off. so you arnt gonna get muscle relax soma works the best for me i am trying skelaxin right now not effective
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2006]
  5. achy

achy New Member

I take 10mg flexeril at bed to help me sleep...but I can only take 5mg during the day. Maybe if you lowered your dose??

My pain mgt. doc likes Skelaxin, but it didn't like me.

good luck
    achy
  6. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Not, sure if I like Norflex yet,but it is another suggestion.
  7. Empower

Empower New Member

My doc doesn't believe in them for FMS

Says they don't actually relax your muscles, they just make you sleepy and that in effect may cause your muscles to relax

I had tried Relafen and it did nothing for me
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I've been using baclofen and I don't find it effective at all. I don't know what next to try. I've also used flexeril as well, but I don't like the weight gain/
  9. IEMom

IEMom New Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Has anyone heard of Percogesic. It is an OTC that is a mild muscle relaxant. Does this work for anyone?
  10. laura3951

laura3951 New Member

um percogesic is a pain reliever and a mild antihistimine, if you get muscle relief from that thats great but it isnt a relaxer, maybe a really low dose of valium would help it is used as a muscle relaxer. missy
  11. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

At first I needed to cut them in half, but now at night I take the 5 mg. On 10 Mg I was out of it. That dosage was too strong for me.

12. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Its generic form is Tizanadine. IT is a very potent muscle relaxer.

Nothing else has helped me ever. Although I have never tried Soma before.

If you plan on taking it in the day time, I would recommend a smaller dose. I only take it before bed, so I take 8 mgs. and it keeps me sleeping through the night.

4mgs. makes me very tired also, but I couldnt sleep as well on just 4.

When I first took one, I could literally feel every muscle in my body relaxing. It was an amazing feeling.

Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
  13. hangten52

hangten52 New Member

You mentioned you tried Elavil (amitriptyline) but they were too strong. I felt that way when my PM doc started me off on 50 mg. I had to go back to 25 mg then slowly (over mths) titre up. I would have never believed I would be able to take 100mg but I am and it's the best. It not only helps me sleep thru the night, it works for pain also.

Another hint is to take it 12 hours b4 you plan on waking. That way, when you awake, you won't have that groggy feeling.

Just an idea.

donna
  14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

My Neuro DR told me to take Metagenics Myocalm...3 at bedtime. Been on it about 10 days ( for twitching )....Jury still out
  15. IEMom

IEMom New Member

THis info is so good. One thing I have not been good about is noticing the dosage. It is amazing, you all could probably be pharmacists by now!