need advice on pottasium and magnesium (sp)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MelanieThebirdlover, Mar 1, 2003.

1. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

does any1 know if I can take the prescrition strenth of pottasium and magnesium? My mother has it prescribe to her when she takes a water pill, so I see that a lot of people with FM recommend these, amoung other, supplements. And wanted to know if it would be safe for me to take these. Do you have to have a deficiency in either before you can take them? Thank you in advance for your knowledge:-}

melanie
  2. healing

healing New Member

Melanie, enter these words into the search box. There's been a lot of dialog about both on this forum. One thing you have to be careful of is taking too much magnesium -- it will cause diarrhea. I take no more than 240 mg daily, and only take that much if I'm constipated. I know that you can take too much potassium, too, but I don't know the symptoms or dosage.
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I take prescription potassium to counteract the effects of Florinef, one of the meds I take for NMH. The Florinef depletes the body's stores of potassium, so my doc regularly runs a metabolic panel on me to check my potassium level. Then we adjust it if necesary. I wouldn't take prescription strength without consulting your doc.

Barbara