Need Advice on VIPDx Lab Tests

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by flannery, Oct 28, 2010.

1. flannery

flannery New Member

Please, I need advice on getting lab tests done. Besides XMRV testing, VIPDx lab offers tests such as Immune Profile, Cytokine Inflammatory Profile, and Human Herpes Infection Profile (EBV, CMV, HHV6, HHV7). Can anyone tell me if these tests would be helpful, what they would show, how they may lead to possible treatments? (I do know that I have Chronic Active EBV).
    Has anyone used VIP lab or other labs, and has your insurance covered any of these tests?
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Docs often mentions "secondary infections". When you get weak from one infection, others are opportunistic. Insurance does cover them at 80%.

I have BCBS, LabCorp and Quest are "in-network" so the coverage is 80%. Out of network is 40%. Ask your insurance or HR if VIP is In Network.

What is the root cause of CFS, FM? Toxic metals, XMRV, vaccines, genetic?

"10 ppl, 10 opinions" - Chinese Fortune cookie
  3. roge

roge Member

sorry cant answer your question.

but i am curious too, was at vip website and couldnt find a list of their tests. can someone elaborate on the immune profile (what tets aare these?) and also direct me to to a link that shows what tests that VIP does besides xmrv. thx

4. flannery

flannery New Member

Here is a link to the tests offered:

The Immune Profile I consists of RNase-L Activity Assay, Elastase, Natural Killer Cell Enumeration and Functional Assay, and CD4/CD8 Lymphocyte Enumeration Assay.

I had to email the lab to get a price list of all the tests. The Immune Profile 1 is $795.
    Herpes profile $495
    Cytokine Inflammatory Profile $400. Cytokines are abnormal when the body is inflamed.
    Heavy metals test $400
    Intestinal Dysbiosis Profile $200
    Mycoplasma Profile $395
    Lyme test $397
    Chlamydia Pneumoniae $300
  5. flannery

flannery New Member

AllWRider, thank you for your reply. So, you have had these tests done?
    Do you know what diagnosis code will get these covered? Thanks.
    I wonder is there any advantage in using VIP lab vs. another lab such as LabCorp or Quest.
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I don't know diag codes. Your doc's medical assistant can look those up for you.

Ask your insurance co for Lab advice.

I had most of these tests done by Quest...but they were close and convient...I get lazy quick. If you know what I mean.
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I have been tested for heavy metals..negative but I think urine was used not blood .

I would like to have the myco's tested so going to see if my doc will order them to
    save money.

The digestive ones sound interesting too. Dr. Kenny D. from Brussels would order those tests and the heavy metals...and he is there some of the year...not sure how long. So perhaps
    that is why they are included.

So, I am debating what to order too. I'm not going for the ebv and hhv6 since I have had
    those done and they are high.

8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Great point Spacee. Andrew Cutler PhD teaches pharmcokinetics at a med school, I forget which one. He has a book No More Amalgams. Mercury hides inside cells (intra celluar). It must be "challenged" to get it out for a urine test.