Need advice please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ritatheresa, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted, I've been feeling pretty bad. I'll try to make it short.

I saw my primary doc yesterday, She wants me to see an infectious disease doc. The one I had found she was familiar with and she doesn't want me to go because "he will test you for everything". Isn't that the point. She said I guarantee you'll come back as having Lyme. Well from what I've read I think I should know if I do have Lyme. Basically I'm feeling confused. I have been through a battery of tests and alot of things are coming up. Wouldn't I want to know? From my doctors thoughts it seems as if I shouldn't. Has anyone had the same experience? It seems to me to be an insurance issue, she did mention that aspect.

One more thing, my doctor feels the sooner I return to work the better I'll do. I understand her reasoning but I honestly do not feel well enough to return yet. I'm a Registered Nurse and any error on my part could be life threatening. I'm feeling so frustrated, I've been out of work since October and I am feeling no better.

I'm thinking it's time to find a new doc, she has been very understanding and supportive but I think we're not on the same page. I think with all that is going on that is one thing that is a must. I saw a rheumatologist (who by the way has Fibromyalgia herself) and she was totally on the ball.

I know I asked alot of questions, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank-you!!! Ritatheresa
  2. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I agree with you...You should find a new doc. Get your tests run..the more the better. Of course you want to find out if you have Lyme or anything else that might be wrong. I'm not sure what she's really thinking. Maybe she thinks if you come back with something then she'll be stuck treating you and it's just too too much work for her ... Anyway, good luck and keep looking for the answers.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of us do have several chronic infections and Lyme is more prevalent than previously thought. If Lyme isn't treated, it will make you very, very sick.

I would see this doc and find out what infections you do have. Besides Lyme, many of us have mycoplasma infections and the Herpes Family of Viruses are common. The usual culprits are CMV, EBV, and HHV-6.

I would find another doc because, God forbid, if you cannot return to work, you want a doc who will support your disability claim.

In one cluster outbreak of CFIDS, half the people involved were nurses and another 10 percent worked in some area of a medical facility. I worked in the insurance dept. of a large medical clinic.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. jarjar

jarjar New Member

My LLMD who has treated well over a thousand patients finds that the most misdiagnosed case of lyme are FM first and CFS second. I spent ages with the CFS label only to find out I had lyme. Mikie made a good point of other things to test for. The Igenex Western Blot will give you a better picture if you have lyme

good luck
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Why does so many people with fibro have Lyme?

I thought Lyme was gotten from a tick bite.
  6. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

to that rhuemy who has fibo asap. I dont understand why that one dr wouldnt want to test you for lyme or want to know if you have it!That sounds like malpractice. Totally ridiculous.

You need all the answers you can get - no matter WHAT they are... otherwise you wont get better. That could be a very BIG piece of the puzzle that would be missing.

Good luck - you deserve better- find someone that wants the best for you.
    Ok ...off my soap box - I'll get down now. lol
    Karen