Need Advice Re Psychiatric Testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hi, some of you may remember that I am going through a difficult divorce. The only real issue in my divorce is spousal support, as my Ex is claiming that there is nothing wrong with me, and the truth is that I am nearly bedridden with CFS/FM. My lawyer sent me to a psychiatrist to rule out malingering. She totally believes me, but she feels she may have to prove in court that I am telling the truth. I have seen the psychiatrist once, took a bunch of tests, and I have to go back one more time. He seems pleasant enough, but I am disturbed by the fact that he seems to believe that CFS/FM is a psychiatric condition. I am a little worried that I may end up being declared "psychiatrically disabled." Going to a different psychiatrist is not an option at this point, I have to finish up with this guy. Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I could tell this guy which might convince him that our problems are organic? Thanks.

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I don't think that's an unpopular response at all. I was thinking the same thing myself. I just feel a little humiliated by the "psychiatric" stigma when I KNOW that there is something physically wrong with me. But the bottom line is, I need the money. Thanks for your response.

Hippo
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Some of it is available in the library right here at this site. Do a search, print it out and take copies to the shrink.
    Also, if you can afford it, get a thermography done, which is the cheapest test I can think of that will show you have real pain. Most breast centers have the machines to do this. A sleep study would be even better, but unless you have good insurance, it's probably too much money.
    I don't think you should just accept a psych dx, because most legal systems consider psych dx's to be curable within a couple of years of therapy, and then what do you do after that?
    Klutzo
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Your LAWYER selected a psychiatrist for you to see? I would postulate from the little I read that this CFS et al. didn't happen overnight and your husband may be the best witness you have concerning your very real physial illness.

Is it so in your state that you have to somehow qualify for personal support? In TX now (after I divorced my hubbu after 11-12 yesars) after ten years marriage ZAP you get personal support til he dies or you die.

From my observation of myself (OOOhhhhh deep thoughts) and the MANY years of being treated for clinical depression/anxiety,l I truly believe that we do become more sessable to the mental stress a chronic condition causes. I do believe you are entitled to a portion of his savings/income so you can take care of yourself..also do you qualify to file for SSDIB? Hang tight! CactusLil'
  5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I live in California. I have been married 20 years, 18 when my husband left. My lawyer tells me that in CA, a person has the PRESUMPTION of lifetime spousal support after 10 years of marriage. However, it's not a guarantee. Since Ex is claiming that there is nothing wrong with me, we sadly have to go to court and fight about this very issue. I do feel that things will go in my favor due to my age (50), and the fact that he says he will pay me to stay home with the kids until the youngest is 18 (which would make me 59 by then). Unlikely that any judge is going to try to send a 59-year-old sick woman out into the workforce with few job skills. Also I have not worked full-time since 1983. However, the lawyer wants to make sure this is a slam-dunk in my favor. She really just wants the psychiatrist to evaluate me in terms of me telling the truth about my being disabled, not so much the nature of the disability (physical or psychiatric). Of course you are correct that Ex has seen me at my worst, bedridden and crawling up the stairs on all fours, etc., but he hates me so much that he will do anything or say anything to get out of paying support. Thank you for your comments.

Hippo
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Thank you for your input. I didn't know that about psychiatric conditions--what if a person is in therapy and on psychiatric meds and they don't get better?

Hippo
  7. Hippo

Hippo New Member

My lawyer KNOWS I am not malingering. She is doing this to convince a judge, and feels this is the best way to go about it. Thanks for your comments.

Hippo
  8. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Thanks for your comments. My lawyer is not specifically trying to prove CFS/FM. She is trying to prove THAT I AM TELLING THE TRUTH. I was thinking a lie detector test, but she thinks this is better. I'm going along because she has 20 years of experience with divorces and I have none. Ex is going to claim malingering, and this is the best way to cut him off at the knees.

Hippo
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

They always send you to a Psychiatrist for FMS.
    If you havce private disability insurance, they will try even harder to prove it is a psych problem, since they can revue you more often and try to throw you off.
    As far as getting disability in the first place though, a pysch dx helps, since you are more likely to be approved for mental than physical problems.
    Just reporting what my lawyer told me. It may have changed though, since that was back in 1986!
    Klutzo
  10. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Thank you so much for your suggestion about using the library on this site. I poked around and printed out one ten-page article for the psychiatrist on evaluation and treatment for CFS/FM. I didn't want to inundate him with paper, so I just took him one article. I think it may have made a difference. He read the entire thing and made notes in the margin. He only made one comment, that he was surprised that the author of the article concludes that the exact cause of CFS is unknown. I guess if you have always thought it was 100% psychiatric, that would be a surprise. Thank you for your help and to everyone else who responded. I will post when I have test results.

Hippo

[ advertisement ]