Need Advice re: Seeing an Endocrinologist - please read & help m

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Aug 7, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I have an appointment with my holistic doctor in October. But my sister and I seem to think I need to see an Endocrinologist. I can't seem to lose weight!

I'm wondering if I have some sort of endocrine problem. I exercise 3 days a week at Curves. But I get SO HUNGRY! Do you think there's something wrong with me? Please give me your advice!

BxGirl
  2. suz9601

suz9601 Member

almost 40lbs in a years time. Got my hormones tested and they are all over the place. Doc told me no amount of exercise and dieting will make me lose weight until I get them balanced again. My prog and estrogen are very low and androgens are very high leading to abdominal fat. So that's my experience anyway. Might be worth a shot...
  3. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I don't know if I should see the Endocrinologist or wait to see my holistic doctor. Any suggestions?

BxGirl
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

If you have insurance I would go ahead and see the endo..they will probably do more testing than your holistic doc and maybe find out more. If you don't have insurance or have to pay a lot you may as well wait to see the holistic doc.
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

If your insurance will pay, it couldn't hurt to have your thyroid tested. My endo treats my cholesterol, thyroid and diabetes. He has never tested hormones or anything like that.

I'm post menopausal and I don't take HRT anymore.

I'm able to lose weight with just diet, but it has been hard because I'm on insulin. I have lost 14 pounds since 5/20. I have hypothyroidism and take meds for that and have that checked every 6 months to year. I see my endo every 3 months.

Might be a good idea to see an endo. Good luck to you. I know how hard it is to be trying to lose. I gained so much weight since I was dx'd with FMS.

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi BxGirl!

As Faye and Suz mentioned in earlier replies, seeing an endocrinologist is a good idea, especially if you have medical insurance.

Originally, I began seeing my endocrinologist because of diabetes, but appreciate that the lab work she prescribes go beyond blood sugar and include thyroid and cholesterol tests, as well.

Are you taking any sort of antidepressant? I've found that losing weight is more difficult since I began taking antidepressants (Paxil) - despite exercise and dieting.

Best wishes in getting the answers you need and in achieving better health.

Janice

7. taniar

taniar New Member

It depends on the endrocronologist. Mine would only say my thyroid levels were normal and took me off meds.

He was totally focused on blood sugar, didn't want to know about anything else. another md found the sugar normal.

I have been using weight-watchers and curves for over 6 months. Do you think there might be something wrong with my hormones. Have lost a total of 6 lbs.

Tania
  8. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I appreciate all your replies. I do have insurance. I called today, but she won't see patients without a referral from your family doctor. So I'm going to call my family doctor tomorrow.

I do take Armour Thyroid but I wonder if something is still off? I just want to find out. I can't see my holistic doctor until October - his wife is having a baby soon and he'll be off for a few weeks.

One thing I did do is go back to eating a protein bar in the mid-morning as a snack. It fills me up and is healthier than cake or candy. I'm so tired of all of this.

I woke up today exhausted. I felt "weird" all day. Not sick really, just not right.

BxGirl