Need Advice re: which doctor to go to - PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Annette2

    Annette2 New Member

    Even if I don't go off Effexor, I still would like to go to a psychiatrist to discuss medications and their effects. I found two doctors who take my insurance and need help deciding which one to go to.

    I found one man and one woman. The woman looks nice and I thought I might like to go to one since I've had bad luck with male doctors. Also, I find it easier to talk to women. However, the male doctor works in a pain center and might be very knowledgeable about the meds and what they can do to help me. So now I'm on the fence and I don't know which one would be better for me. I need your insight about what you all think. Please help!

  2. CreateHope

    CreateHope New Member

    Will your insurance allow you to interview both of them before you make a committment? When I was in therapy and wasn't satisified, I saw another one at the same time until I made my decision to switch.
    I'd get a list of questions going (maybe the doctor referral list here could help even though it's a psychiatrist) and then go talk to both of them.

    Remember, you are PAYING for this doctor to help you and it is their gain if you employ them. Also, if you hire the wrong one, you can always fire them and see the other.
  3. Annette2

    Annette2 New Member

    Hi Kate. Thanks for your response. As far as what you said, I can't "interview" them. I'd have to make an appt. and see them and pay for each visit. I suppose if I don't like one I could go to the other. I really would like the opinions of people here on the Board.

  4. Dara

    Dara New Member

    doctor then I would think that's the one you might want to try first. I know when I was going to therapy I would not have been able to talk to a male doctor about my personal problems/feelings. Also, she might be just as knowledgable about the medications as he is.

    This is only my opinion, I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

  5. joannie1

    joannie1 New Member

    I say go with your gutt feeling about it. I think you should probably try the woman doc and if it doesn't work you know that the other one is there on your providers list to go to. Just a thought.
    good luck.
  6. Ahorsesoul

    Ahorsesoul New Member

    Since you said you find it easier to talk to women, I would go with her. If you do not feel comfortable with the male doctor you may not be able to express your concerns in a way he would understand.
  7. Annette2

    Annette2 New Member

    Well, the vote is in. I really appreciate all of your advice. Sometimes I think I know what I want to do but need help deciding for sure. It seems as I get older it's harder for me to make decisions. You guys are great!