NEED Alternative anti-fungal, rather than take Lamisil please hlp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Combatmedic, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

EWWWWWWWW

Today I had ingrown toenails cut out on both big toes. One side on left big toe (already had the other side cut out last year!) UGG> and both sides of right toe. Then my doc tells me I have fungus and she wants me to take Lamisil for six months. even though she admitted, the fungus (just all along with all my odd dx's and bodies little "quirks") is due to my "crazy immune system being just all messed up" (real true, professional words, eh? lol she was not herself today......looked hungover....I think she is going through a divorce(with her ATTORNEY husband :-O and she's got 4 highly active kids, I understand, you're gonna have some not so great days.) She was pleasant enough, just not all there today.....

ANYWAYS, she tells me I'll need liver tests first, and then every month for the next six (that's how long you have to take Lamisil.) NO WAY AM I TAKING THIS CRUD>!!! Lawsuits have been filed for deaths related to liver failure, some have had liver transplants, and those that died or developed liver disease, many of them had NO known other ailment prior to the Lamisil.......seems a BIT dangerous to me for TOENAIL FUNGUS, right?

And, since I am undergoing heavy metal toxicity testing next week, and seeing a wonderful integrative medicine doc that just came back to town (he's only about 4 yrs older than me, so, he'd be 30-31) the Lamisil would completely* hinder the treatments we are working on and planning to start.

again, TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR TOENAIL FUNGUS!

My mom worked with a woman years ago, who had this problem, and refused to take prescription anti-fungal(she and mom were nurses together.) and she had *SOME KIND* of drops, she used for SIX months, and, once the toenail had grown out, the fungus was gone, and did not return....

Mom and I, have fibrofog.....cannot think of the name of the drops she'd used, but, I am adamant about NOT taking that Lamisil. I already have liver function probs (minor) from all the meds I have been on or am on this year. (have had 4 months of steroids, pain meds, anesthesia, morphine(in hospital) darvocet, and then 4+ months on Lortab along with decadron after botched up facial nerve surgery.)

AND I take trileptal 1500mg, which sometimes screws up my blood sodium levels, and for now, I'm stuck on it, for trigeminal neuralgia, I take atenolol for heart, and Klonopin. The rest is herbal. back in January I was thrilled when my registered dietician was able to help me drop FOUR unnecessary medications, I'm getting my "meds basket" full of herbs & supps. lol YAYYYY (wish insurance would pay a little on those, darn it...but, oh well. at least they are safer, with guidance of a professional.)

ANYONE, ANYONE, with a tried & true known, remedy for toenail fungus, please help????

It would be greatly appreciated.....

(((((((((((((((((((((((thanks in advance)))))))))))))))))))

Medic
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

with wild oregano oil. I got some for a friend who deveoped anxiety attacks (rare side effect) on his med. The WOO worked for him, he started using it orally as well and now his chronic sinusitis has gone away too. He's delighted.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2004]
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've heard of a product called "futspa" that has tea tree oil and thyme oil that's supposed to work well. You put a couple of drops on the nail bed every night. I've never tried it but I looked it up and they have a money-back guarantee. Tea tree oil is a good anti-fungal if you're not allergic to it.

I have soaked my feet in a solution of diluted hydrogen peroxide (about 2 parts water to 1 part 3% peroxide) with 1 tsp salt added and had good results with very minor problems after wearing polish on my toenails.

The most important thing is to give your feet the environment they need to keep free of fungal infections. That means cotton or wool socks, keeping them uncovered as much as possible, and no nail polish. Air out your shoes in the sunshine frequently (or ozone them if you have a machine) to kill fungus that can reinfect the nails.

Jan
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can buy one for approx. $150 on the Hulda Clark website. That may be even cheaper than the Lamasil for six months.

My toenail fungus started to clear up immediately upon using my zapper. I could actually see a line across my nails where new, healthy growth was coming in.

Check out her website.

Love, Mikie
  5. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I have a problem with one toe so I put a couple of drops on at night and it seems to work. It's also good to brush your teeth with. Cold sores, too. :) Can't live without it.
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My dad took Lamisil with no problems, but my mom's liver test indicated that she couldn't take the pill so she used the ointment.

It took a much longer time to get rid of the fungus with the ointment, but eventually she did. She has had triple by-pass surgery, and has lots of health problems.

She is also in a lot of pain and takes Methadone, Hydrocodone (sp) and many other meds.

abbylee
  7. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

It really works. Cut your nails as short as possible, then rub the Vick's onto the nail twice a day. Do this until the new nail grows in. It will take 6 months to a year, but it does work.

Kate
  8. JoyMC

JoyMC New Member

Fungal Defense by Garden of Life is great. My husband has been on it for 10 days, and his formerly white-coated tongue is totally clear and normal now. I bet it would help toenail fungus, too.
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

about a topical product that worked called Tineacide
    which is available thru drug stores and costs $15 .

Others have had good results with oil of oregano oil topically applied.

I would try the tineacide and FORGET the lamisil .
  10. Combatmedic

Combatmedic New Member

They are MUCH appreciated, I will print all these recommendations out and go to the drug store, may ask the pharmacist which works best, or may call doc, and see what he thinks (the integrative med doc)

Thanks so much for the help, I will do any or even all of thses, but sure won't do the Lamisil. it's tooo dangerous, and even has recurrance rate with the fungus of anywhere from 30-70% so, it's totally not worth it when the treatment *can* be so much simpler and safer.

THanks again, Medic
  11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

My husband had fungus AND athetets foot for YEARS....tried lamasol, t tree oil, everything. A couple of months ago I had read in a health column that white vinegar really helps. He tried it every morning, swabbing with cotton squares after a shower and the atheletes foot is gone in 3 weeks. Even better, the nail fungus is also clearing up and growing out clean. My mom has tried the vicks but doesn't seem to help with her so I'm going to get a bottle of white vinegar for her too.
  12. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

My derm told me that nail fungus is not treatable topically. The fungus causing nails to turn yellow and brittle is only corrected with oral medication.

My sister took lamisal with great results, she did have to take two courses as the first doctor put her on it for only 3 months. It did take 6.

I opted out- if the worst of my problems is ugly feet - I can deal with it. It wasn't worth the possible liver complications.

THEN I found false toenails in the drug store. In a french manicure! They look great. I still have to use the antifungal creme on my heels and between toes for the athletes foot.

No one knows underneath my french pedi are ugly yellow disgusting nails, or traces of what used to be nails!

Sharon
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

tell me that the Vicks VapoRub and the white vinegar treatments really work.

I think I would try one of these before taking Lamisil internally!
  14. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

so my podiatrist had me use Penlac, which is a prescription topical treatment. It worked really well. Also, if your insurance covers it, some lamisil tablets can be broken and mixed in it so that it still is a topical treatment, and works faster.

I swim and am at the gym a lot, and no matter how careful I am drying my feet and wearing my flip flops, I still have trouble sometimes with the fungus. You want to make sure you get rid of it, not cover it up. Since the Penlac got rid of the last of the fungus, now I just use an ointment or other topical anti-fungal from the drug store to make sure it doesn't come back. The podiatrist also told me what to do if I see it start to come back as well so that it doesn't get bad like before.

By the way, before I went to him, I tried some of the other treatments, and maybe the fungus was too embedded in the nail, but they just didn't work for me.

Good luck,
    Donna
  15. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Tea Tree Oil cleared up my fungus. It took several months but the cost was relatively cheap. Debi
  16. Suzan

Suzan New Member

It erradicated my toefungus ...it did take a long while,in part because you are waiting for the 'ugly' toenail to grow out.But , it did take care of it. I have used it for dandruff, acne, canker sores and my husband uses it for his psoriasis! It is a miracle in a bottle for me! I always have some in the house now.
  17. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I'm wondering if you injest white vinegar whether it might help with yeast overgrowth since it works so well on the outside of the body. IF one could tolerate it ok. Anyone know?
  18. kat-E

kat-E New Member

it can hurt them if they ingest it.

I was also going to suggest the Listerene, I have heard it helps.

Personally, mine left me after many rounds of diflucan.

I pray it doesnt come back.

Many Blessings to you Medic

kat