Need anemia advice...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by signrock, Jan 28, 2006.

1. signrock

signrock New Member

I found out I am severely anemic. My iron levels are very low. I have to get scoped, but I am wondering if there are other blood tests that should be done first. If it is related to something besides bleeding, what blood tests should be done? My dr totally dismissed that it could be related to anything other than internal bleeding. How do I know if it is from something else?
  2. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

My internist had me taking liquid iron from Whole Foods because I'm severely anemic.

When I went to Dr. Holtorf (FFC) he didn't mention the anemia. I asked him about it, and he said, "Well, yes, you're anemic, but that's not your problem."

What's a girl to do?

There is a lot of controversy right now about the way medicine is being handled in the U.S. I forget the name of the book, something like "Overdosing America," but I don't think that's it exactly. Anyway, I have not read it yet, but supposedly the book explains how drug companies are scewing results of what are supposed to be independent tests, and a lot of the information that our doctors are getting in many areas is simply incorrect because it is biased and submitted inaccurately. Doctors, themselves, are horrified.

I figured this out before the book when I was doing my Effexor research and I was looking things up on pubmed only to find that practically all the tests were done by drug companies or ultimately funded by them, especially if they were longer than eight-week studies.

The first four things that people in this country die from are 1: heart disease; 2. stroke 3. cancer 4. medical care.

Please forgive this unintentional hijack, signrock! I get kind of emotional about this stuff. Yes, there are lots of other blood tests that need to be done, but I'm not exactly sure which ones they are, I apologize. Can you go to a local FFC and have them run some blood tests for you?

3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Sharon,
    I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this. I had this back when I had a fibroid and ended up having a hysterectomy, partial. My iron had gotten down to 7 and I had to go on the iron pills to build it up prior to surgery. I was on a nasal spray to stop my periods until I could have surgery, so it put me in menopause.

I haven't had any problems since, but I do take Centrum Silver vitamins and I do eat red meat and a balanced meal. Actually, I haven't had my iron tested in a long time and not even my B12. The Centrum I take doesn't have iron in it.

I have a friend who is waiting for blood tests to come back now about anemia for her, but the bad thing is she gets new insurance on 2/1, and that doc won't be in her network. She still doesn't have a set diagnosis.

Hope you will feel better and everything will be okay.

Signrock and Dancingstar,
    I hope you two will feel better too. I hated it when I had to take those big iron pills as I got severe constipation.

I think people who are vegetarians could have anemia and people who just have horrid diets and go long times without eating right. I'm not sure about all of the tests.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  5. signrock

signrock New Member

I don't have my labs with me, but the ones I remember were

Hemoglobin 9.9 L 11.0 - 15 was normal
    My iron saturation was 3 L 15-55
    and total iron was maybe 10?
    my blood cell size was enlarged
    and my white cells are fine
    b12 & folate were fine

6. signrock

signrock New Member

I does not look like they tested that one. What is that?
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My hemoglobin has been at 6 for quite a while with ferritin running about 2-3. I've seen a hematologist and a gastroenterologist and both are baffled.

I've been tested for all the autoimmune blood disorders that can wipe out red blood cells, celiac, internal bleeding, etc. The odd thing for me is that taking iron makes me very ill, no matter what form.

My B12 and folic acid levels are actually elevated even though I don't take any supplements, and my bone density is excellent, so I just don't follow the pattern for malabsorption.

In my case we've pretty much decided it's caused by porphyria, a genetic liver/blood disorder that is caused by a missing enzyme in the pathway to make heme, a component of hemoglobin.

Oddly enough when I lived at a high altitude, which should have made me even worse, the anemia finally went away. Now that we're back at a lower elevation it's worse than ever.

The other possibility is that it's caused by a chronic viral infection (Epstein-Barr, West Nile, or whatever else I've managed to contract).

Hope you get some answers. It's no fun being anemic!

Jan

8. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

i have had IV iron 2 times now. for some reason i don't absorb much iron. i had all the blood work, interestingly, my H & H are always normal, but my ferritin is usually low. I got it up to 121 last year, right now it has dropped to 40. The lowest my ferritin has been was 18, and i was so fatigued and short of breath.

I had a bone marrow bioscopy which showed "scant iron", i've had the endoscopsy and colonoscoph, neither showed anything.

i am going to my hemotologist in a few weeks, have not seen him in a while. By the way, the IV iron looks like rust dripping in your arm, and it takes all day to run it, but it made me feel so much better.

warmly,
    maggie
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have had a long history with anemia. I had a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding and fibroid. It got somewhat better for awhile but is worse again. I wonder if this is related to the Fm.
  10. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I am also going through the same EXACT thing you are right now. Had some blood work done recently and it came back that my blood count was low. Right away the doctor wanted to send me to have a colonoscopy. Which I really DO NOT want to get. It's like a last resort thing for me. I told him that I have had trouble MANY times in the past with being anemic. I was severely anemic during all 3 of my pregnancies and even while
  11. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I am also going through the same EXACT thing you are right now. Had some blood work done recently and it came back that my blood count was low. Right away the doctor wanted to send me to have a colonoscopy.

Which I really DO NOT want to get. It's like a last resort thing for me. I told him that I have had trouble MANY times in the past with being anemic. I was severely anemic during all 3 of my pregnancies and even while I was not pregnant I have still had trouble with it. The other doctor I was seeing at the time just old me to eat more red meat and foods high in iron and also prescribed some iron pills. I am in the process right now of doing that and I have to go get some more blood work done next week. The doctor said if my blood count is still low then I have to go for the colonoscopy and no if's ands or but's about it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I turned 40 and my periods became very heavy. Much heavier than they have ever been so I was thinking that this may even be the culprit of my low blood count.[This Message was Edited on 01/29/2006]