Need Answers/ Gram Negative rods

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Truesun, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Truesun

Truesun New Member

Hi to all my smart friends, I am being treated for Lyme disease after having had CFS for 23 years. I had a Pic Line in and had to have it pulled two nights ago in the ER. The blood sample pulled from the line showed a gram negative rod infection. The Doctors could not for some reason explain to me what this infection is. I know I have Lyme and am already taking 4000 mg of Augmentin a day and they want me to add Cipro. Yeast is a big issue and I'm freaking out over adding something else. Wouldn't the Augmentin take care of this other infection? Could this other infection just be the Lyme in its L form? I know I get better answers here then I do from the Drs. Anybody???Thanks, Truesun-among the truly desparate
  2. frango2

frango2 New Member

is a gram negative rod shaped bacteria. It is not exactly like "cat scratch fever", which when you mention Bartonella is what most Dr's think of.

It is one of the most common and one of the most difficult to treat Lyme co-infections. Cipro is one of the drugs that they use to treat Bartonella.

Go to one of the good Lyme websites ( I don't know what I can and can't post here ) and you should find info on it. Many of the LLMD's call it a Bartonella like organism because some test positive for Bartonella henslea, others for Bartonella quintana, ( there are other strains, too) and others don't test positive but have all the classic symptoms which are slightly different from Lyme. If your illness is predominately neurologic the Dr's suspect Bartonella as a big factor.

Do you have a good LLMD who really knows about all this stuff?

Lyme, Bartonella, and Babesia caused my CFIDS, too.
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

what the gram negative rods are is because there are many types of bacteria that show up as gram negative rods and time is needed for the lab to do further assessment.

When a blood culture is taken, the lab will make an initial assessment based on appearance. Initial antibiotics are chosen based on the groups they affect -- e.g. gram positive cocci, gram negative rods, anaerobic bacterica, etc. It sounds like you're at this stage.

Then the lab tries to "grow" the bacteria and identify more exactly what it is. This usually takes a few days. They can also test what antibiotics will affect the bacteria more exactly so your docs may change meds depending on what it shown.

Some bacteria are much harder to grow than others, take longer to grow, and may not be "growable" yet due to the limits of what scientists know.

Augmentin is not as strong against gram negative rods as Cipro.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Trusun,

I would recommend caution when it comes to Cipro. I'm not recommending you not do it, but you might want to research some of the side effects it can cause. You could use the search feature on this board as I know it's been discussed here on various threads.

Probably the best thing for you to do is try to get yourself settled down before making a decision on this. Best to you as you go forward.

Regards, Wayne
  5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi again Trusun,

I just now came across the following paragraph on iodine, which you may find of interest. The author is Mark Sircus Ac., OMD.

""Though it kills 90 percent of bacteria on the skin within 90 seconds, its use as an antibiotic has been ignored. Iodine exhibits activity against bacteria, molds, yeasts, protozoa, and many viruses; indeed, of all antiseptic preparations suitable for direct use on humans and animals and upon tissues, only iodine is capable of killing all classes of pathogens: gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, mycobacteria, fungi, yeasts, viruses and protozoa. Most bacteria are killed within 15 to 30 seconds of contact.""

Obviously, I don't know whether this is true or not, but you may feel that it warrants further research, given your current situation.

Regards, Wayne