NEED ANSWERS RE: ELEVATED LIVER FUNCTION TEST

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I saw my Family Doctor last week for a re-check of my thyroid test. Well, the thyroid is still not stable yet, so he's having me decrease the Synthroid. But my liver function test was elevated. He couldn't figure out why. I haven't changed any meds or anything like that. He did notice that my tryglycerides were high, and said maybe the fats were going to my liver. Now I'm supposed to be on a low-fat diet. Well, my question is: how can I be on a low-fat diet if I want to eat high-protein, low-carb? I'm so confused I don't know what to eat and what not to eat! Can't eat too much meat, no cheese or butter. Low carbs. What am I supposed to do? I really need help here! I'm so confused!!!!

By the way, this doctor spent over 1/2 hour sitting with me, just talking about my symptoms and these results. I also told him how I feel about having fibromyalgia, and that I don't want him to think I'm a hypochondriac, or anything like that. He said he understands and that we need to get this straightened out first, and then we can work on other things, like the fatigue. He is so wonderful - I wish you all had a doctor like him!!!!

Annette2
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Does sound like you have a good doctor!

You know, I have loads of food allergies & have to choose my foods carefully (on a rotation diet), but I eat a very low carb diet, without it being high protein, high fat. I eat mainly fresh veggies (more veggies than anything else), some fruit, some fish, chicken, turkey, some beans, brown & wild rice, minimal fats (the good ones). I'm allergic to gluten, potatoes, & corn, so virtually all the starchy carbs are out for me, and I don't like sugar so I don't get carbs that way. I only do fruit in the morning, by itself. I try to eat the minimal amount of protein each day, but being allergic to milk, eggs, beef, pork, some fish & nuts make it hard. So I alternate chicken, turkey, fish I can eat & rice/beans----my doc is into fresh veggies, & far less amounts of protein, fats, fruit & grains.

This works well for me, given my allergies. I have more energy on this diet----probably because I'm not further contributing to the "leaky gut" that comes from unabated food allergies.

I think diets are very personal & need to be tailored to the individual. A lot of us have other things going on in our bodies besides FM/CFS. I'm just saying I do not believe that "low carb" necessarliy has to mean "high fat/protein", at least it doesn't for me.

The suggestion to see a dietician is sound---your doc may be able to recommend one. I did this when I was wondering how in the world I was going to make this whole allergy diet work for me---she not only helped me enormouslty, but got me out of denial & actually jazzed about starting it.

I have now lost 20 lbs, too----kind of a side benefit! Not all of us have lbs to spare, but I did!

Good luck, Annette!

Hugs,
    Pam
  3. DLBRPAC

DLBRPAC New Member

Annette-
    I'm sure your doctor already knows this, but alot of medicines can cause transient elevated LFTs, even if there is no recent change in dose. Are you on any anti-seizure or psychiatric meds? In those cases, unless the levels are more than twice the norm, they are usually nothing to be worried about.
    -David
  4. TinysMom

TinysMom New Member

HI ANNETTE2;
    I HAVE HAD THE SAME THING GOING ON, I HAD BLOOD TESTS, THEY LED TO AN UNTRASOUND, WHICH WAS FINE, THEN MORE BLOOD WORK FOR HEPITITIS, WHICH WAS FINE ALSO. THE DR. FINALLY SAID WHAT YOURS DID; EXCESS FAT IN THE LIVER. MY FIBRO DR. SAID THE SAME THING. BOTH CONCLUDED SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE MORE LIVER FAT THAN OTHERS. SINCE WE ARE ALL SO VERY DIFFERENT, IT MAKES SENSE THAT OUR TESTING NUMBERS MAY VARY.
    GOOD LUCK ON THE EATING THING--I WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH DIABETES, SO I UNDERSTAND RE-LEARNING TO EAT. GEES, DOES IT NEVER END!!!!
    MY BEST TO YOU, TINYSMOM
  5. givebliss

givebliss New Member

Sorry if you've already said, but I'm a newbie to these parts! I'm just interested in your fab doctor! I'm in Toronto .. where are you? Thanks, Bliss Out.
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

Have you been checked for hep A B C and D? Just as a precaution? I never recommend high protien diet for people with elevated liver enzymes. In fact the opposite...with lots of freash slightly cooked green and colored vegetables and fruits in particular advocado and watermellon have been shown to have "hepo-helpfull" effects <====my word, not real

Are your palms red? and is what color is your urine and no 2? these are good indicaters of how bad off your liver is, aside from tests. Because they sytmptoms sometimes, precede positive test results.

Milk Thistle and dandelion, schizandra berry are potent herbals that WILL reduce liver enzymes. I have seen it in myself.

The causative agent could also be a medication you have been on a while --to no ill effect but suddenly is causing problems.

List all meds and I can tell you the status quickly. I am pretty adept at liver problems and see them often too.
  7. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Can someone tell me what the blood tests
    for Hepatitis include? Thanks. I only know of ANA.
    Lynn
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks! The meds I take are Neurontin, Effexor, Synthroid, Prilosec. Also Calcium and Magnesiu, Vitamins E, C and Multi. That's about it for now. Oh, you want to hear something really weird? My TWIN SISTER also has elevated liver function tests and may also have problems with fat in her liver. It happened at the SAME TIME for both of us! Isn't that weird?

Annette2
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

11. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I take it you are saying red palms are bad??
    Urine color can vary according to meds and
    vitamins so I can't tell anything by that.
    Same with bowel movements - pepto bismol
    effects color. So I guess to figure out our livers
    we have to suffer first, right??

What tests do you run for hepatitis?

Thanks,
    Lynn