NEED ASSURANCE...Can STRESS cause itchy vesicles or blisters?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hinemoa, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I used to get one or two every time I hit a stressful time but lately my stress level has gone through the roof. [there is always someone in every family that causes stress...right?]

The itchy little blisters have increased a hundred fold. They appear separately or in little clusters of three or four. If I scratch them they get worse and may even become infected.

Not the worst thing that can happen with CFS/ME but right now I ITCH!

Anyone have any answers or similar experiences? Please reply.

Thank you, I appreciate the help I've received in the past.

Sandra
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you been to see your doc or a dermatologist about them yet?
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Have you started any new medications? Or even a med that you have been on for a while can cause an allergic reaction. This happened to me and stopping the med took care of the problem. We are slowly reintroducing it.
  4. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

i get 3-4 little ones or sets of 3-4 little blisters my dr. keeps giving me ketoconazole cream but it has never helped. i only have the blisters on one hand. this hand also peels. after a really bad outbreak of blisters, it sometimes makes my fingernails grow out funny. i assume it could be a fungus infection from having a low immune system OR it could be psoriosis arthritis. these are just my guesses. my dr.s dont have a clue. i cant tell if it is stress related or not, they occur daily.
    i wonder if they could test the watery stuff in the blisters and find out anything?
  5. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I haven't started any new meds, but I am super-sensitive to most chemicals and medications so I really watch it.

It was so reassuring to read that others have these little blisters too. BTW you described them perfectly. I'm not usually covered in them but right now I have several dozen in different stages of coming and going.

And, yes, if this keeps up I will see a dermatologist. However I've been before for other odd stuff and usually get a "Hmmm looks like some kind of allergic reaction" and then I get a prescription for cortisone that I'm also allergic to.

Never ends does it!

Love and thanks,

Sandr
  6. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

on the backs of my fingers, usually on the right hand only. A dermatologist told me it is "hand eczema" (because eczema does not normally occur on the hands, but apparently it does in some people. And often, people with hand eczema do not have eczema anywhere else on the body, which is the other reason it has it's own category).

Anyway, he prescribed a steroid cream that I apply as needed, usually twice a day when I have the blisters or feel them coming on. BUT, isn't steroid cream related to hydrocortisone? You may be allergic, and unable to use this.

Hand eczema is often (like in my case), caused by severely dry skin. Using a GOOD QUALITY hand lotion or cream is VITAL! I HIGHLY recommend Cetaphil hand lotion or cream. You can buy it at Wal-Mart or Walgreens (Wal-Mart is usually a little cheaper). It is kinda pricey, when compared to lotions like Lubriderm, etc., but that's because is REALLY WORKS and IS REALLY Dermatologist-recommended. My derm. gave me samples of it when I was diagnosed. Another sample he gave me was for Aveeno, which is also great; my second-favorite. You can also buy this at Wal-Mart and it is also kinda pricey.

If you go with the Cetaphil and can afford it, get the cream rather than the lotion. It is a little more expensive than the other, but it works better, too. One drawback to the cream is that it has a kinda greasy-residue thing going on after you apply it, which normally I HATE, but it's really not that bad with this stuff, so I don't mind, and the way it makes my skin feel IMMEDIATELY after application is WORTH IT!!! If you decide to go with the lotion, it does work very well also, but just not quite as well as the cream.

I am not a dermatologist so I don't know if eczema is what you have or not, but you're describing tiny, itchy blisters that occur singly or in small clusters, which is EXACTLY the symptoms I get when mine are flaring up. If it's eczema, try the lotions or creams I mentioned until you can see your dermatologist. EVEN IF IT'S NOT eczema, these products are still GREAT products for the skin, especially this time of year when the air is so drying to the skin.

Hope this helps! Take care and I hope you get some relief soon!!! I know it can be maddening..... the itch is unbearable! I also have psoriasis on my scalp, and my skin is very dry all over my body, year-round, so I am WAY TOO familiar with ITCHY! It can drive you nuts!

Hugs!
    Starr
  7. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

Starr, I have just started using Aveeno on my hands and it really works. I have been using unscented Lubriderm on my body [including my face] because I seem to react to everything else.

If Cetaphil has an unscented cream I will give that a try.

Thanks again,

S.