Need audio book suggestions for car trip

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Jun 21, 2007.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My 12 yo twin daughters, hubby and I are going camping next week. It's about a 4 hour drive (and 4 hours back, ugh).

I need some audio book recommendations suitable for family ears. Thanks!
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Have you ever heard of the NPR radio show "A Prairie Home Companion"? It's very down to earth and folksy. I haven't heard the show in a long time, but whenever I do, it's very light, humorous and entertaining.

I've never heard any dirty language on the show, and they play it during the middle of the day so I'm almost positive it would be suitable enough for 12-year olds. You might get some other opinions here, but I think it would be appropriate for that age group.

I checked it out on amazon, and they have it on audio cd. Everyone has individual tastes in regards to what they like, but it's a very popular show.

Have a great trip! Erika :)
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'll see if my library has Prairie Home Companion. Thanks for the suggestion.

JEANSKI New Member

By Bill funny. Its about him and a buddy wlking the appalachain trail. Very entertaining book! Will make the trip fly by!
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

A roadtrip and camping with your family? Are you headed west from Denver, into the mountains somewhere?

Have you ever driven the Million Dollar Highway, between Ouray and Silverton? I used to camp around Telluride every Labor Day weekend. I'd go into town for free films in the park during the Film Festival.

For audio books, how about Seabiscuit? I like the Prairie Home Companion and A Walk in the Woods suggestions, too. I heard there's a good new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on audiobook, with Monty Python's Eric Idle reading.

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2007]
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Jeanski - I read A Walk in the Woods several years ago and liked it. Since I've now forgotten most of it, it seems like a good time to revisit it. I wonder if Bill Bryson has written anything else?

Hi Ken - We are headed into SW Colorado--the Ouray, Montrose area. It's beautiful down there. DH and I have driven the million dollar highway. Awesome! We went on it after taking the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad. That was pre-kids, so it's been awhile. Never have been to Telluride, even though I've been spitting distance several times. Maybe this will be the time to check it out while DH & BIL play golf.

Seabiscuit would be a definite possibility. So would Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. My kids LOVE both versions of the movie. They also love Raold Dahl--have many of his books.

I have a library hold on a book called Olive's Ocean. I can't remember what it's about now, but it sounded good when I read the summary. Short term memory is GONE.

I've only got a couple more days to sort this out, so I'll have to see what I can get in. Don't you just love the library?!! I love that I can manage it all online, too!

I forgot to mention that I LOVE Monty Python. We just got tickets to Spamalot! I'm soooo excited!!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2007]
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Spamalot! That should be a lot of fun.

I'm also envious of your camping trip! The Ouray/Montrose area is spectacular. I've stood on top of the highest peak in the area, Mount Sneffels, twice, and soaked my aching muscles in the Ouray hot springs many times. If you get a chance to go jeeping, the trip up to Yankee Boy Basin from Ouray is spectacular, with great views, countless wildflowers, and dramatic waterfalls. Also, if you make it to Telluride, the ride up the Chondola (combination of chair lift and gondola)at the ski area is free, and the views are amazing.

I'd love to hear about your trip when you get back.

Your husband is playing golf in the area, too?

I know exactly what you mean about your short-term memory. Mine is in pretty bad shape, too.
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

one was about his trek around Australia; from what I can remember, it would be appropriate. I was going to suggest 'Walk in the Woods' too, LOL, that was so hilarious! And well worth listening to again.

If you are traveling anywhere near Cracker Barrel Restaurant chains, you might stop in and see what they have available to rent. They have family oriented tapes/CD stories as well as adult. The deal is it is charged initially as if you were buying it, but when you return it, you are credited fully except for a $3 rental fee/week (approximately, not sure).

Hope this helps,

9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Ken - Yes, hubby and brother in law will be golfing TWO days. That means SIL, girls and I can do something fun without the boys (usually that's more fun). The Telluride chondola sounds fun. DH has hiked to the top of Sneffels, too. I can't do those 14'ers. Bad ankle (luckily!). We are planning to do the Ouray hot springs one day. Although it doesn't seem too appealing with this terrible heat we've been having. Are you guys cooking, too? We've been having 100 or near 100 temps for about a week. Ugh! Too hot!

Victoria - We don't have any Cracker Barrels around here that I've seen. Last time I was in a Cracker Barrel was a couple years ago when I was in Mississippi. That sounds like a good deal for the audio books, though. I'll have to see if my library has either of the Bill Bryson books.

Thanks for the input!
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sounds like you got a lot of great audio book suggestions!

I live in the Austin, TX area so I know what you're talking about re: the extreme heat. Don't forget the sunscreen and drink tons of water!

Sounds like you have lots of fun activities planned. Have a wonderful time!

Best wishes, Erika
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Oh, the heat! It's going up to 97 here today. Stay cool.

Do you know what courses your husband and brother-in-law are playing?
  12. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

We are sitting at 98 degrees right now. It was 100 yesterday. Broke a record. Aaaackkk! It is supposed to cool down tomorrow. Can't wait!

Erika - I will definitely drink lots of water--I don't go anywhere without my water bottle! And my DH thinks I have stock in Aveeno, since I keep buying more and more sunscreen. lol

Ken - So am I a bad wife for not knowing (or caring, lol) where my DH is playing golf? I know it's somewhere around Ridgway.

Well, I've got two books on order from the library: Bill Bryson "In a Sunburned Country". That's the one where he is in Australia. And I got one I think my one daughter will like: "Poison" by Chris Wooding. Sounds a little bizarre, but she likes that stuff. It's a gothic horror fantasy. Hopefully Harry Potter-ish.

Now I hope they come in before I leave!

Thanks everyone!!!