Need C.F.S. Doctor in Albuquerque, N.M.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Acme, May 13, 2005.

1. Acme

Acme Guest

I have just moved to Albuquerque, N.M. from Chicago, IL I had a good M.D. , but now I need a new one here. If anyone knows of a good M.D. let me know. I have tried the internet, but no luck. One woman, that worked with F.M. So if you can help that would be great.
    Peace, Acme
  2. jami117

jami117 New Member

Dear Acme,

I live near Albuquerque and have been seeing doctors in the area for many years. I was diagnosed (in Indianapolis) with fibro in 1976 and with chronic fatigue about 10 years ago. I also have other connected problems. The very best doctor I've found is in Santa Fe. The problem is that she isn't connected to any of the HMOs and doesn't take Medicare. I see her about four times per year, but I also have a doctor with an HMO to get tests and lower prices on my meds. The main problem with the HMO doc is the time pressure that's on her to see the required number of patients. By contrast, each appointment with the doctor in Santa Fe is one hour.

Let me know if you'd be interested in further information on either of these docs. I've been considering changing HMOs since it's been getting more and more difficult to get an appointment with my primary care physician.

I'm not sure what the board rules are for posting information. If it's okay to give you my e-mail address, I'd be happy to do that and then we could exchange phone numbers if you wanted to talk about the doctors in more detail.

Best wishes,
    jami117
  3. turquoise

turquoise Member

Like a lot of people with MCS and CFS, I have looked at Santa Fe as a place to relocate in the past. Could you please give the name of the dr.? Thanks.
  4. turquoise

turquoise Member

5. Acme

Acme Guest

jami117 Thanks, but I am on Social Security Disability and have Medicare. I can go up to Santa Fe if I have to. But I can not pay for any Doctor out of pocket. If you know of any Doctors that take Medicare, that would work for me. Thanks
    Peace, Acme
  6. jami117

jami117 New Member

Turquoise -

My Santa Fe doctor is Shirley Scott. She understands our problems. She uses regular medicine and prescriptions as well as supplements and alternative methods when appropriate. It is expensive to see her. When I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield, they paid some of her bill. I lost that insurance when I had to quit working, so I see her less often, but still keep her in my rotation because she was able to help me when none of the other docs I saw could do anything. Also, she's my strongest psychological support when the limitations of my illnesses really get me down.

Blessings for health and peace of mind,
    Jami
  7. jami117

jami117 New Member

Acme -

My current Albuquerque doctor is Kathy Finch at Lovelace Journal Center. I pay $49 a month in addition to Medicare to be in the Lovelace plan and get better prescription coverage. I think you can work through them with just Medicare. Lovelace was sold last year and since then the doctors loads have grown making it harder to get in to see your primary care person.

I'm going to look into the program at Presbyterian Hospital because they have a set-up similar to Lovelace, but I'm hoping their docs don't have to see so many patients. Also, I know they had a special exercise program for people with fibro. I attended the class, but it turned out to be too much for me with driving to and from the class and doing the acitvities. Depending on the severity of your illness, it might be a very helpful program.

Best of luck finding someone. If I can be of any other help please let me know.

Jami

PS My home town is Danville, Illinois and we used to go up to Chicago often.
  8. Acme

Acme Guest

Hey jami, Please let me know what happens for you, at Presbyterian Hospital. I will give Kathy Finch a try. I have to find someone soon. Being on disability, I have to see someone to keep it. Thanks, & Peace Acme

P.S. Did you like Chicago? I did, it just got to big and cost to much.
  9. jami117

jami117 New Member

Hi Acme - I haven't been on the board for a while so I didn't see your last post. Chicago is one of my favorite large cities. Love to visit there. Love the weather and casual life-style here.

I got the insurance information from Presbyterian, but haven't evaluated it yet. I hope you found someone to see to protect your benefits. Are you getting settled in to life in New Mexico?

jami117
  10. Acme

Acme Guest

Yes Jami 117 I have a Doctor now, but to soon to say if she is any good. Dr Robran is her name. Will have to see if she any good.
    Thanks ACME
    P.S. I love living in Albuquerque