Need Denture Advise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carina, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Carina

Carina New Member

I will be going to a dentis to see about having all my remaining teeth pulled. I have hairline cracks in my front teeth that seem to be on the inside of the teeth. I have a lot of back teeth already missing and seem to be getting one pulled every 6 months or so due to rotting from the inside out. I am having trouble not swallowing my food whole.

I am low income so I can not afford to have a dentist to make teeth for me. I will have to go to one of those cheap places and get premade teeth. My questions are :
    1. Do I still have to get a fitting BEFORE my teeth are pulled ?

2. Are all of these teeth the same size ? I have big front teeth & am concerned about looking strange in small teeth.

3. There are sets made of acyrlic and for a little more there are those made of cobalt. WHICH would be the best material to have since I have FMS ?

4. Will NOT having teeth put in Immediately after being pulled and Waiting for a month or 2 help me to get a better fit ?

Thanks to all who reply.
    Carina
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2003]
  2. Bree

Bree New Member

OH DEAR CARNA........I HAD (NOT SPELLED RIGHT!! )
    PARADONAL DISEASE, WHERE MY TEETH WERE FALLING FROM MY ROOTS
    LITTLE BY LITTLE, I HAD TO HAVE THEM ALL YANKED OUT!!

BUT? BEFORE THEY WERE ALL PULLED? I HAD TO HAVE IMPRESSIONS MADE WITH THE LITTLE TEETH I HAD........OH? HAD MANY ROOT CANALS............IN THE END? I HAD TO WEAR DENTURES....
    I AM AN HONEST WOMAN AND I SHALL SAY THIS!!

"I HATE THE DENTIRES WITH A PURPLE PASSION!!!!! I LOSE THE BOTTOMS QUITE OFTEN ......VERY STRESSFUL....I WISH YOU SO MUCH LUCK ON YOUR FEMINE JOURNEY~~~~~~~IF THEY ARE NOT PULLED? YOU COULD HAVE THE POISON DRAIN IN TO YOUR SYSTEM . DID YOU DENTIST TELL YOU THAT?
    AGAIN, GOOD LUCK....BEEN THERE HONEY AND AM SOORY YOU HAVE TO ALSO.......
    BLESSINGS,
    BREE~
  3. Carina

Carina New Member

bumping this up as I need to hear from others. Thankyou Bress for your input.
  4. Lavelda1957

Lavelda1957 New Member

Hi Carina,

Looks like the same old music to the same old song, been there, done that. I have no teeth on top and about 4 or so on bottom. It's really depressing sometimes as a woman, to be so young, am only 45 now, had all but the few pulled in 1989. They are uncomfortable for me, especially the top plate, the partial I can wear some. I feel so unattractive without them, and cannot eat with the tops at all. My teeth were so bad, I had to get it done, was making me so sick. I too had no insurance, and medicaid cares nothing about adults teeth. WHich I don't even have that now. I do have medicare, but of course, that doesn't pay dentist either I don't think. Eventually will have to have what few I have left pulled also.

Sorry wish could tell u better news. Am sure they will have to fit you. I went to a place for my uppers that only cost 100 and some dollars. After you get your teeth, you will still go back in a month or so for a reline. Because your gums will shrink some. Too bad, I can't help. I have some teeth that were made for my dad, while he was in the nursing home, never had them in his mouth, before he died. I saved them. But I am sure they wouldn't work for anyone else.

Jo
  5. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Hi girl..so sorry you are suffering with your teeth. Been there too. All but six of mine were pulled at once when I was 23 or so. I am going to come at this from a whole different view..If it sounds harsh..its not supposed to..its five in the morning and I am only on my second cup of coffee..okay?

I just had a new pair of dentures..full upper and full lower made five or so years ago..they cost me $1500.00 for the two and all the appointments for fitting them etc. I went to a dentist who is known for his denture work waaaaay more than for his dentistry. This means he makes dentures that fit. They do not slide..they do not rub..he gets the best fit for your specific bite. Okay, that being said..

I understand money being tight. I understand that having these diseases means we are spending money on med, supplements, docs appointments..you name it. BUT..if you are going to have to have a priority mony wise..I believe you should put your money in your mouth..get a good set of dentures, with a good fit..by someone who knows what the heck they are doing. You do NOT go to a second hand store for body parts..you do not go to a nurses aid to treat your worst pain symptoms..get what I am saying?

Everything (or alot) starts in the mouth. So much of headaches and alot of TMJ can be reduced by what is happening in your mouth. I had an over bite..and my jaws were off when I would chew..the dentist shaved a bit more off of my overbite and compensated with my new dentures. I do have alot less headaches and jaw pain. And..if you have been reading some articles that have been on here and other places..food is not being utilized the way it is supposed to be in our bods..for whatever reason. It seems if you cannot chew your food right .. at the get go..your body has even less chance of putting it to good use. Your teeth can also affect your sinuses.

Again..I know about tight money..here in Iowa they have a dental school..it still costs..but is cheaper. Me, I go to a regular dentist who..by word of mouth, has gotten a great reputation for dentures. If it were me..I would find one like him..set up an appointment .. tell him what diseases I was dealing with..and try to work out some kind of pay plan. It will be sooooo worth it for you to have your own teeth..fit for just you. It will give you a boost of confidence, as well as help your digestion..etc.

And for those who are having problems with plates (dentures) slipping..go to the dentist and have him/her refit them. I have done that when I lost too much weight in my face..my dentures started slipping..it does not mean you have to buy new dentures, usually .. you can just have your existing ones re lined.

I have worn dentures almost thirty years now. I have never missed my old teeth...they hurt all the time..BUT, I have been fortunate and blessed to have two great dentist in the last thirty years..they knew what they were doing when it came to dentures. It is an art..not all dentists can or should make dentures..they just do not have the touch or maybe the knowledge.

I hope this helps..I wish you well and I hope this was in no way offensive to anyone..I just know how much better a person can feel with their mouth functioning properly.
    ...Sherry
  6. Lanie

Lanie New Member

She has Dentinogenesis Imperfecta. It is hereditary and very expensive to get all your teeth filed capped, etc. but it costs upwards of $23000. She is considering just getting them all pulled and get dentures. Her concern with this is that she isn't quite 20 yet and she was told by a dentist that the bones would wear down in 10-20 years and the dentures would have nothing to hold onto. Well, my MIL has had dentures since she was 19 and hasn't had a problem.

My MIL goes right over the border into Canada and gets her dentures for very little. I believe a whole set is around $500-600. You go up, get fitted and then go back up in a week to pick em up.

Check around. I am sure that you can find some info on the net.
    Good luck,
    Lanie
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I was only 23 when I got full upper dentures..
    I had all my upper teeth pulled with the exception of 6 teeth closest to the front..
    I left the back heal completly, Then I went and had the 6 teeth removed and woke up with my new dentures in my mouth..
    I had no problem and they fit good..

**I had my dentures made from impressions that were taken while I still had my own teeth..And they also matched the color of my own teeth when making my dentures..My one tooth in my dentures is even slightly crooked, because that is how my teeth were...

Then when I was about 29, I had this exact same process done and got full lower dentures..

My two upper front teeth were also larger than some and that is how my dentures look........

Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!!Take Care..........Donna
  8. Carina

Carina New Member

Thanks J and Donna. And Sherry no offense taken. Just the way I need to hear it. I haven't yet found a a dentist willing to work payments over a long period of time with me yet. I will talk to the dentist Fri. and see if we can just take care of 3 teeth. Then I will keep looking. It will take me about 3 years to save that kind of money.

I live in Kansas and someone told me to go to the University of Missouri-Kansas City. They will pull the teeth and put in new dentures at 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost. They have a pretty good reputation. I will look into thier study program. I'm still not sure about that. I have a lot of looking to do I guess.

The dentures with Cobalt in them still concerns me with the fact that there is some metal in them and me with FMS. Does anyone know what materials there good dentures are made of ?
    Thanks for your replies. Carina
  9. tillerlb

tillerlb New Member

Lanie- If you read this, please let me know what your niece decided about getting dentures. I, too, have Dentinogenesis Imperfecta and am struggling with the decision of whether or not to get dentures. I am considering an implant supported denture on the top and then trying to save my bottom teeth with crowns and implants. I am 33 right now and (other than esthetics) had no major problems until I was around 26. At that time, I started to develop abscesses (in my molars) that could not be treated because people with this condition (including myself) often have no canals. Hence, no root canals can be performed to save the teeth and the only option is extraction. (My endodonitst theorizes that, as the dentin "strangled" the canals I once had, it left, unhealthy, microscopic canals that are now emitting bacteria.) Now, I live every day wondering when the "tooth reaper" is going to strike again. I am getting so tired of dealing with this and the financial strain is enormous. My dentist told me the same thing they told your niece about bone loss. I told HIM that, if that were to cause problems with denture fit in the future, it could be fixed with one or two bone grafting procedures (these are generally not major ordeals). Sounds a whole lot better to me than living the rest of my life working two jobs just to have what so many others take for granted! Anyway, enough venting. I was just wondering what she decided. Please let me know. Thank you! -Lara