Need dog advise

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Mar 9, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I have a 14 month old yellow Labrador mix, Hailey. She is hyperactive. Not just normal "happy active puppy" hyper, but full blown, unable to stop, obsessive hyperactive.

We have a huge fenced yard (about a half acre for her space)and she runs constantly all day. She never tries to get out -and I know she could. She has a log pile the length of the fence, and she uses that as her perch, to sit up high and see everything. She could step right over, but she is content to stay in her yard.

Everytime a car passes, she runs back and forth from one side of the yard to the other, about 3-6 laps per car. She bashes into the fence on one side, then runs to peek under the fence through a hole she dug on the other side. When she runs past, its a blur, and you can almost feel the ground shake - she's fast!

In the winter she chases cars. In the spring & summer, she chases birds. She leaps like a deer and attempts to fly. When the birds get wise to her, she switches to flies, or other insects. On a slow day, I blow bubbles for her.

Overall, the dog is hilarious. She knows it too. She loves to make me laugh. But the problem is, she is so thin, and she keeps getting thinner. All her ribs are showing.

I feed her the recommended amount for her breed/age. She usually eats it all eventually. But I swear she is so obsessed with watching for cars and running laps, she can't be bothered to take time out to eat.

Anyone else ever had this problem? It seems like she must burn off more than she eats. Maybe a change in food?
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I must Tell you that you Have just described my Lucky dog to a tee!,,,,,He has the same unbridled energy! and will eat only when he wants to!,,,,,I switched to Pedigree it seems more filling and holds him longer than the Alpo i was feeding him!

I think it's just the Puppy Stage she's going through!,,,,But i'm told he will fill out and become more tame! I'm Sure you are feeding her right,,,,sounds like she really likes her Yard!,,,,,,,Lucky is exactly the same age as your pooch too,,,,,,I Keep thinking what the Terrible 2's will bring!,,,,,,,Lolol,,,,sis
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Do you take her for walks? Yes, she has alot of room to run inher own back yard, but i think she needs to walk outside of your fenced area..

I'd also teach her fetch and let her work off some of this excess energy retrieving a ball.

When you take her for the walks, I'd probably put one of those vests on her that has pockets to carry things in it. I'd put 2 full water bottles in the pockets (one on each side) that will give her a job to do on the walk.

You dog sounds like my little minature schnauzer that I had to have euthanized about 6 months ago.

i know she is funny, but try not to laugh at any behavior that you really would like to get rid of.

You may also want to consider taking her to pet obedience classes at Pet Smart or another facility.

Another suggestion is to bring her a play buddy once a week and turn them both loose in your fenced in back yard.

There is another minature schnauzer across the street from me. I have a rescue minature schnauzer now since I lost my Gretchen. We turn the two dogs loos in my back yard about once a week and the two of them romp around and rough house until the both collapse in the shade with their tongues hanging out. I put plenty of fresh water out there for the two of them and watch them from the comfort of my kitchen window.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas too.
  4. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I had read that a truly hyperactive dog needs a food with no artificial preservatives, or colors, and less protein. I may try that. They test for it by giving them Ritalin and seeing if it makes them calm, as expected. I don't want to go that route though. I don't mind her being active, I just want her to eat.

Joyfully - Yes, we play fetch. I don't know about walks, this dog never stops moving. Even when we bring her inside, she just can't lay down. She is trained to sit and lay, and is capable, she is just too full of beans to be still.

She also gets to play with other dogs a lot. My three kids have 6 dogs and puppies between them, and they all bring their dogs over to visit Hailey. She loves that! They are all a bit overwhelmed by her though.

I also think she seems obsessive/compulsive sometimes too.

When she does eat, its a few bites between laps, and sometimes she knocks her bowl over. She has to clean EVERY morsel off the ground that spilled before she can do anything else. Maybe that's the trick to get her to stop and eat - just spill it all!
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I have a 5 year old Yellow Lab and he couldn't be anymore mellow. He is a happy go lucky kind of dog, playful when you want him to be, obedient when you want him to be. He couldn't be anymore perfect.

Have you had her fixed yet. That always seems to calm them down some. Also, as she gets older they calm down too. They are so much fun and great for kids.

Hailey sounds like a funny, happy puppy. Good luck and i hope she calms down a little for you.

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Have you checked with your vet about this at all? One thought I had about eating was to give him puppy food because it has more calories. But I would check with a vet first.

Sounds like Hailey is a lot of fun!! I have a hyper one year old silky terrier and a calmer border terrier. They are both pigs when it comes to food though! I never have to worry about them not eating!!

7. ckball

ckball New Member

I have to agree with Joyful. There is a difference in their mindset when we walk them. She seems to be a combo of my girls :)

I now keep them in the house and have 25ft leashes to the front porch. The sit as close to the road as they can and when a car comes by you would think they were going to eat it.

Thankfully I don't have a lot of traffic, they HATE 4 wheelers and such.

Dogs can have obsessive, sometimes out of boredom from non- structured play. I don't always have it in me for that but I do a game of trick and treats and fetch inside the house.

They did calm down when I was regularly walking them with the golf cart. I am a believer of pack leaders and behavior, but I have yet to perfect it..or even come close on some days.

Would you like to meet my girls?

Check out girls gone wild, yep that's my life, so I feel your pain. I do notice a difference when I spend more one on two time with them they are much calmer, also when I am calmer, if I'm stressed they act up. Happy trails-Carla
  8. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Mickey - Actually, no, I haven't had her fixed yet. I wondered if that could be a factor.

I admit, I am more of a cat person, in terms of what I am most familiar with. Most of my dogs have been male, and all were fixed.

I don't mind her being active and energetic at all. She is the happiest, most content dog I have ever seen. She loves her big yard, and her "routine". She is just so skinny.

Dar, higher calorie puppy food sounds like a good idea too.

Carla, I am not really able to walk her at this time. But she does have a lot of structure. We play every day at the same time for at least an hour. She knows exactly the right time, to the minute, and starts squeaking her squeaky toy to call me.

For some reason, we can't get her to leave the yard. If we open the gate and try to lead her out, she won't go. We are okay with that. We would rather she prefer to stay inside the fence, especially with all the kids driving by on 4 wheelers, other dogs roaming free, and cars she insists on chasing.

I have to go out tomorrow for dog food, so I think I will start by trying to find something natural, high calorie, and lower protien made for puppies. We do need to get her fixed too.

Carla, I will check out your video!

Thanks to everyone for all the great input!
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Do the change in food gradually. Dog's digestive systems can be very touchy. Start off with 3/4 of her old food and 1/4 of the new food. I'd do that for several days before graduating to 50% of each. Then, I'd do 75% of the new food and 25% of the old food. I'd watch her stools to see how her digestive system is handling this transition.