need Dr in Atlanta area

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mmix, Nov 1, 2005.

1. mmix

mmix New Member

Hi everyone,
    I was recently diagnosed with fibro, although I have been in a lot of pain for a while. I went from my PCP to a Pain Mgt. doc who said he doesn't do fibro to a rheumatologist today who was pretty thorough and did a pretty good bedside job of telling what I need to do about stress and all, but he said pain mgt. drugs were out of the question and taking them would just replace the pain with addiction. It seemed to me that this was a pretty ignorant position given what I have read, but it puts me in a peculiar position. I have fibro and the pain is merciless (as I am sure a lot of you know) and his approach is to get my mind right and I will be fine. Meanwhile I cannot play with my kids or do housework and I don't know how long I can keep this up at my job. Any ideas on what I should do? I mean, I have a hard time believing I can call around to doctors asking if they will prescribe pain meds, but I am sick of passing from one doctor to another only to get the brush off. It takes weeks to get an appointment and I feel like my life is slipping away in the meantime.
    Thanks,
    --mm
    Atlanta, GA

--Per recommendation, I am changing the title of the thread. Thanks everyone for the response so far. It is good, when you are so down, to know there are people out there who understand.[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2005]
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

It is your life. I am on my 3rd Rhumey. And I understand the frustration that comes with this. But I am determind to have answers. And have someone listen to me. You know your body better than anyone. There are pain meds that are not addicting. I was told from this new rhumey to get Alieve and take as needed. She said it works well with FMS.
    It sounds as if this dr you are seeing is very insensative. Please try another if you can. God Bless. Hang in there !! I am !
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I would NOT be able to function at all, were it not for my pain and anti-depressant meds. No doubt about that at all.

I get my meds from my PCP. Any chance, with the evidence and documentation from the other docs, you could go back to him/her and tell them how much pain you're in and ask for something for the pain?

In my case, my PCP had known me for over 15 years, knew that I was not a drug-seeker, or addict, and had no problem giving me what I needed to be comfortable and functionable. I would think that should be your case, also.

If not, the only thing I can recommend is you will have to be your own advocate and sadly, keep searching, until you find a doc who really believes in Fibro, and is willing to treat you the way you deserve to be treated!!! It is NOT in your head, and what surprises me about THAT statement, is the lack of offering you at least an anti-depressant, which is KNOWN to help fibo!!

Keep on hanging in there and don't stop until you get what you need, and deserve, ok? There really ARE docs out there who will help and not think twice about it, because they truly understand how pain can take away our lives!!! Good luck and God bless you. PG
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

ANYONE in the Atlanta area that can make a recommendation for her???
  5. zoose

zoose New Member

See if you can get refered to a pain clinic. They should take a more comprehensive management tactic since they deal with people in chronic pain such as us. This might include meditation, yoga, excercise, stress reduction as well as meds. I have not been on meds other than asprin for five years now due to being misdiagnosed. Although painfull I have found some relief through yoga and meditation. However, I am looking forward to seeing a rhumetologist in a few weeks and starting some meds for sleep and pain.

good luck,
    zoose
  6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

change your title to say "need Dr in Atlanta area" or start a new thread. You may get some responses to help you find a new Dr in your area.

As for Rheumys, I don't think they like to treat FM. They are the best for diagnosis, but they often act like they got stuck with us!! I've been to a couple of them and found they were of no help to my treatment, so I have my PCP and a Pain Mgmt Dr work together for my treatment. I do take pain meds and they are prescribed by my pain doc and before that my PCP prescribed them.

If your PCP is supportive of you, ask him/her to find a Pain Dr who is "compassionate" to FM sufferers.

Good Luck,
    Sincerely
    JL
  7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

but I sure miss my chiropractor!! Dr. Wakeman... he used to be in Century Center, but I don't know where he might be at this point. He did Applied Kinesiology, which was just invaluable! If you are not familiar, do a title search for it- there was a thread a while back.

Also, Dr. Berryhill (Universal Life Consulting) is a wonderful homeopath. Quite frankly, an odd little man, but really a good practitioner. He does saliva testing. Very interesting, and I think visits are somewhere around $50, but well worth it for a consultation. He will give a whole slew of explanations and reccomendations, all in a nice little folder!

Good Luck!
    Lollie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2005]
  8. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I go to Dr. Bullington in Marietta at the FFC.
  9. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

Hi MM,

I found a pcp on Lawrenceville that does great with FM patients! He even did weekly B-12 and magnesium shots for me, basically free of charge. (I am sure they charged the ins. company something). He's most recenlty prescriped pain patches for me, but I have not asked for pain meds, so I don't know about that.

I know it's not convienent to Kennesaw, but it may be a start.

Dr. Kunz: (770)682-2024

There's also a good rheumy husband/wife team downtown, but Dr. Kunz was more up on treament (i.e. mag shots). Dang, I can't think of their names, but it's Piedmont Rheumatology. I think Drs. Wilson? (Hayes and Rebecca)

Good luck!
    Brenda
    Atlanta, GA
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I go to Dr KAren Bullington at the FFC in MArietta. Shes terrific. Do not go to Jeferey Lieberman. Good Luck and this is very important so if one doesn't work go to the next one! Lynn