need dr. in mid-missouri

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjreznicek, Jul 16, 2003.

1. cjreznicek

cjreznicek New Member

i really need the name of a physician in jefferson city missouri who at least admits that fibromyalgia exists!
    thanks!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board, we have a 'Doctor Referral' here, so I just copied the doctors in Missouri for you. Also you can call the; FM Network at; 1-800-853-2929 for a referral if none are listed below.

I do not know if we have any members from you state, but its sure possible here.

Again, welcome to the board, good luck with finding a doctor and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MISSOURI, USA CFS/FM GOOD DOCTOR LIST

Kansas City, MO
    Joseph H. Brewer, M.D.
    Plaza Internal Medicine -- Infectious Disease, P.C.
    4620 J.C. Nichols Parkway, Suite 415
    Kansas City, Missouri 64112
    Tel: (816) 531-1550
    (He is very knowledgeable about CFS.)

Lee's Summit, MO
    Dr. Debra Smithson
    Lee's Summit Clinic
    615 W. 3rd St.
    Lee's Summit, MO 64063
    Tel: (816) 524-3799 - Fax: (816) 524-3921
    ("I cannot recommend her highly enough. She listens to her patients, believes they are sane, intelligent, and courageous people, and keeps up to date on what's new in treatment. An FMS victim couldn't have a better physician than Dr. Smithson.")

Neosho, MO
    Horace R. Petersen, D.O.
    Orthopedic Surgery
    Freeman-Neosho Hospital
    113 W Hickory St.
    Neosho, MO 64850
    Tel: (417) 451-1234
    Fax: (417) 451-1234
    (FMS)

3. jolly

jolly New Member

Now, how did you come up with a name like that?! Must have been born into it! Believe me, I know what it's like not to have an understanding doctor. I'm so envious of the girls on the board that have one. I wish you all the luck in the world. Jo Ellen
  4. smoke

smoke New Member

I live in a very small town in NW MO and have seen a Chiroparactic Physicain in this small town and I have a DO that are wonderful. The Chiropractic had heard that I had FMS/CFS and contacted me. She had been to a seminar a few weeks before she contacted me and this Dr in St. Louis was one of the speakers and it was on FMS/CFS. She asked to see all of my past medical records to review, which we did and she has talked to us several times without any cost!! She had talked to the Dr that did the seminar and told her what test that I had done and the results and since we live 5-6 hours from St. Louis this Dr was going to do a phone visit with us. We are scheduled to do this on the 18th. The Drs name is Dr. Lang, I have no address only a phone number, it is 636-386-3333. I would think it would be worth a try to contact this Dr by phone. It would not be to far of a drive there, if she would want to see you. Who knows I may see you there one of these days!!!

Smoke
  5. kace

kace New Member

I am being sent to a neurologist in Kansas City (for 1st time)next week. i am a work comp case, had my first hearing the other day, the judge, my atty and other atty all agreed that this doc, Dr. Abrams, is very knowledgable about fm and is fair to the patient......until now stuck w local yokels in Branson. kcity is a good distance frm branson, but at this point i am willing to drive 100 miles to see a doctor as long as he believes fm exists! will let u know next week what i think of this doc. many blessings, kace
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm in Overland Park, KS.

I can tell you that Dr. Debra Smithson on that list does NOT take new FM patients. I am a little upset with the Good Doc list that they continue to list her as a viable option----I have e-mailed them & they e-mailed me back (over 6 months ago now) saying they would update the list, & they never have. Another board member here has tried to get in to see her, too, and has been told she's not accepting new FM patients, & does not offer any alternative names.

Dr. Brewer is supposed to be good though I think it takes a while for an appointment.

Mid-America Physiatrists in Overland Park is good (Dr. Steve Simon, A. Thomen Reece & others) but I know that's a ways for you from Jeff City. They are at (913)599-2440, if you are interested. I see them sometimes, they DO believe in & treat FM, & aren't as long a wait for an appt.

Good luck, hope you find someone great!

Hugs,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2003]
  7. cjreznicek

cjreznicek New Member

married into it.
    thanks for your good wishes. i had these symptoms for 25 years before i was diagnosed. felt so good to have someone else confirm i wasn't just a hypochondriac. i was planning on getting my tombstone engraved with "see, i told you i was sick!" before i moved here i had a doc who really didn't know a whole lot about the disease but was willing to try things i found online or in print.
    clydene