NEED easy dinner/meal ideas for weekday dinners...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimba4318, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

You all had great baking ideas, thought you may bne able to help with the simple weekday cooking. I know my family is getting so sick of the same darn meals over and over again.

Nothing difficuly, just easy but hopefully different then what I have been making.

Heres one pronounced (have no idea how to spell it PO-Tish-En-Wa... It's french, my friend calls it PODI... too hard to say it.

Brown 1 1/2 lbs. ground beed and onion (drain)
    add some seasoned salt to it (Lawrys or whatever)
    Put in a clear or metal cake pan & stir in 1 can of creamed corn (sometimes I do 2)
    On top spread mashed potatoes (can be instant if you like)
    I sometimes add a little beef gravy (lightly) to the top

Put in the oven for 325 for about 20 minutes until warm all the way thru. YOu can make this the day before and then pull out of the fridge and take out of the oven when warm throughout.

The family loves this and it really is easy & you have all of your veg., meat and potatoes in the same dish.

ANy other ideas?
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Marinate & broil or BBQ any type of meat/fish. Let frozen perogies thaw.. Pan fry until browned . Remove & put on small oven tray, keeping perogies as close together as possible. Top with grated cheese, bacon & green onion. Throw in oven until cheese melts. Don't forget sour cream to dip them in UMMM. Serve up with meat & veggies & dip.. Veggies & dip is my new way to ensure everyone gets veggies around here. When I have the enegy I keep a plate all cut up & ready to eat in the fridge. We'll often make a monsterous salad & top with cut up meat or shrimp.
    I just went through the last month cooking pre-made crap from the freezer section, but I swear it hasn't helped my situation. After christmas my hubby brought home all the 1/2 price turkeys & I will cook 1 a month or so. Turkey is great as you can do so much with it & saves the cook!!! You could also buyu very large roasts that will last a few days. My situation is getting pretty bad & there have been some nights lately where I couldn't do more than open a can. I have 4 little ones & that 's painful for me...emotionally & physically.
    So glad your surgury is least your on the road to recovery. Take Care, Laura PS Have a great one for taco salad, see if i can find it
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI Laura - Thanks for your well wishes and the great recipe! Sounds yummy! I know what you mean about opening the can! I am with ya! Sorry you have trouble with that too :-( Hang in there & Thanks again!

Ali - great recipes and ideas, yes, if you find your book let us know some others. I need all the help I can get. This will help get my dreaded list together. Thanks a bunch!

4. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Safeway carries a brand of frozen Italian meatballs....they are Manor House. You can get them on sale for $5.49 for a 32oz package (great deal, do the math). I have always turned up my nose at frozen food but these are GOOD. I don't bother to make my own any more.

Then you need a package of frozen ravioli or tortellini that you like. My favorite sauce is from Trader Joe's, it's Tuscan Marinara Sauce, but you can use anything you like.

In a 13 x 9 pan (sprayed with Pam for quick clean up) layer the sauce, meatballs, ravioli and hide some fresh spinach in there too. Throw some cheese on it if you like and bake it at 350 till it looks done.....20 mins is probably long enough.

It looks and tastes like you spent alot of time on it but it's nice and quick.

I'll try and think up some more.........
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hmmmmm - Lynna - sounds YUMMY and like I put alot of work into it too. ANother Great One!
  6. abcanada

abcanada New Member

It's a bit of work chopping, but lots can be done and everyone can help themselves

Taco Salad

1-2 Bags tortilla chips
    2-3 lbs cooked ground beef
    chopped lettuce-1 head
    chopped tomato 2-3
    shredded cheese 2 cups
    chopped green pepper
    1 can kidney beans rinsed & drained

1 can tomato soup-mix with 3 tbsps vinegar & 1 pkg taco spice

cover plate with chips top with lettuce first , then all other toppings. Drizzle with taco sauce & serve with sour cream & salsa. I like to have meat warmed. My mom delivered a huge amount of this to us when my 4th child was born. It was great 7 everyone liked it give or take a couple of things. Kids had alot of fun with is.
    Kim, I know your kids are a bit older-Do you make use of thier help? My oldest is only 7, but is quite enthusiastic about helping when possible. When I have the patience that is! Take care, Laura

2 large cans of tomato sauce
    2-3 lbs cooked ground beef or small chunks of beef (or any wild game)
    1 can kidney beans rinsed & drained
    4 stalks celery chopped
    1 med-lg onion chopped
    2 cans chopped mushrooms
    chili powder to taste
    salt/pepper to taste
    tobasco if you like it hot

Heat to simmer, then reduce heat to low all ingredients for a few hours in stove top low, or in crock pot(will take longer) This is a great source of iron, as the red meat, bean & tomato combo makes a highly absorbable source of iron. Woman & kids especially need lots of this.
    I used to be a promoter of Alberta Beef, but haven't been able to work for a few years. You gave me the idea to go through my books. It sure gets redundant eating the same crap all the time.

7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks again Laura... Yes, I will start using them to help out for dinner more often. I think my 7 year old boy would actually enjoy being a part of it... good idea.

My stepdaughter is 16 = so she can help alot and my youngest boy is 3... I am sure I can create a little something for him to do too... after all he THINKS he is 10 :)

Thanks for more good recipes... My point excatly.. they are so sick of eating my same ole'.... crap.
    Take Care!
  8. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

My friend got me one for xmas....I used it last week and made swiss steak in 18 minutes. It was so ridiculously quick and easy my husband said I was "grinning like a chimp"

2 lbs round steak, browned in oil, seasoned w/garlic pepper
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 cup frozen tri-colored peppers
    1 large onion
    1/2 can beef broth
    red wine....about 3/4 cup
    6 potatoes, quartered

I can't wait to use it again (although it may really mess up
    my "I forgot to get something out for dinner" excuse)

9. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Lynna = Oh... I want one... you are right about the excuse thing, but I was thinking it would not cook that quick from fozen (that could keep our aliby) LOL

Thanks... maybe I need to invest in one of those too.

10. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

As long as our hubby's are cooking challenged we should be fine (I know mine is!). Although I have a friend that has been using one for years and she has been known to throw in frozen pot roasts and they come out great. I think I'll keep that one under my hat though.

I had been researching pressure cookers and was going to buy a really nice 8 qt stainless steel one. The one I got as a gift is just a Presto Aluminum but it worked just fine. I wouldn't want one any smaller than an 8 quart though. I cook for the 4 of us (plus my kid's significant other's most of the time). I dream of the day my grown children leave the nest and I can actually freeze the leftovers. I don't see that happening any time soon though, they seem pretty comfortable!

11. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

lynna... be caregul what you wish for :)

That sounds great and easy to use. Also, a QUESTION on your ravioli meal... IS the ravioli and meatballs frozen? Seems like it would have to cook a whole lot longer than 20 minutes... is that right?

Or maybe you thaw first?? Please let me know.. this is tomorrows dinner.
    Thanks a bunch!

So many good ones here... I am making my grocery list now.

12. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Sorry 'bout that.....I should have been more clear.

Yes, I buy them frozen but the cooking time I gave was for cooking them after they have been sitting on the counter for 3 or 4 hours because I was too tired to put them away after I bought them. That happens around here alot.

As a matter of fact the back seat of my truck is full of bags of canned goods and non-perishables that I bought yesterday. This is the first time in 14 years of being sick that I am just laying in bed with my laptop. I guess you could say I am on strike, it's just that no one has noticed yet! ahahahahaaaa

Lazy a** Lynna
  13. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

Cranberry Chicken

6 boneless/shinless breasts
    1 pkg. dry Lipton Onion Soup mix
    1 bottle Russian dressing
    1 can cranberries

Mix all together and bake at 350 for 1 hr. 15 min.
    Can serve over noodles or rice.

It takes all of 10 min to fix.
    Hope you enjoy
  14. abcanada

abcanada New Member

This made me way too hungry!! I just made up some & am waiting for the cheese to melt. Haven't been very hungry lately so I'm excited. Thanks for the ideas. The cranberry chicken sounds good. Laura
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hon...I'm not sure I want to eat at your house if you're putting 'Turdey' burger in the food.

Sorry, I'm just laughing so hard right now and I couldn't resist.

Nancy B
  16. TKE

TKE New Member

Crockpot Chicken or Pork

Brown skinless chicken on both sides. It does not need to be cooked clear thru, just browned on both sides. It'll finish cooking in the crockpot.

In crock pot add some spaghetti sauce. Then layer chicken/sauce until it's all in. Cover. Turn on low & let it cook all day. About 20-30 minutes before eating toss in a few handfulls of mazorella cheeze.

Pork(Ribs, chops, etc):
    Do the same as the chicken except use BBQ sauce. I omit the cheese when doing pork.

Serve with a veggie.
  17. sues1

sues1 New Member

I am asked for this recipe often:

1 lb. Hamburger.......cook in skillet, salt and pepper to taste. While cooking add 1 to 2 cups of diced celery and onion to taste.

Do not brown the onions,just cook until transparent. When meat is done drain off fat, add 1 can of tomato soup and one can of mushroom soup to the meat and veggie mixture.

When mixed add part of can of chow mein noodles (regular size).mix....add rest of noodles to top of all and bake around 350 degrees........Until all bubbly and done.
    Can add a little water while baking if needed.

It is much better than it sounds. We love it! I usually double it so we can reheat some for another meal.

This is items that is easy to keep on hand. I package Hamburger in 1 lb. or more pkgs. and make them like a thick hamburger fits right into a skillet and easier to thaw as it cooks. I keep that in freezer as many things can be made from it.
    Easy meal: Pork chops or round steak, or swiss steak or "thinner" roast.....

Flour meat choice and brown in a skillet.....add onions, can add a little green or red bell pepper,celery chopped, diced raw carrots if you wish.....etc.

Do not cook all the way, brown on each side then add a can of diced (or any type really) tomatoes. Cover and I like to bake it, but can cook on top of stove on low heat. Watch that it does not stick.
    I have done simliar thing with a frozen block of Hamburger, even added catsup and little water if no tomatoes....(Optional: can add a little long cooking rice) with other veggies....cover, bake.
    Hamburger patties and diced onion or frozen meatballs, or other meat....I like to brown the Hamburger.......add a jar or can of gravy and simmer until meat is done.
    I sometimes add a half cap of vinegar to this and it gives a slight tang, no vinegar taste at all.......really good.
    Meat balls good in the Lipton dried soup gravy (recipe on box) add a little vinegar....tasty. Sometimes add some mushrooms, fresh or canned and cook some noddles and toss together. If you have any left over other gravy can add it also, with all I mentioned.
    I better stop, I could go on and on............Susan

[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2007]
  18. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Wow - I knew I could count on you all. SO many good ones. They seem fairly easy and it will change our whole menu for weeks. Great Job!

He he - "turdey burger".... thats me too. One little typo and we are saying something TOTALLY different. Hugs Ali... know what you mean :)

JUst like I usually write (at the end) Big Hugs... Have also written "Bug Hugs" and "Big Hag"... so you know... just changed the WHOLE meaning. LOL

Thanks you all - your ther best!

Big Hugs... (whoooo - did it right :)
  19. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

This one is ridiculously easy and I actually have a real recipe for it =)

Taco Soup (this is really good & only takes about 15 mins)

1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cans (4oz) chopped green chilies
    1 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper
    1 can (15-16oz) each, rinsed & drained, pinto beans, kidney beans, small white beans, hominy (or corn)
    3 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 pkg ranch dressing
    1 1/2 cups water
    shredded chedder cheese
    tortilla chips

Brown ground beef and onion, drain. Add all remaining ingredients except chips and cheese. Heat to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
    Serve in bowls, topped with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.

20. abcanada

abcanada New Member

2 cups cooked chopped BBQ chicken, Steak or Shrimp
    2 cups shredded chedder cheese
    1 cup chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup chopped green & red pepper mixed
    1/2 cup chopped green or red onion
    20 small soft flour tortillas
    1 pkg taco spice
    sour cream
    1 Med-lg Cast Iron Fry Pan
    1 pastry brush

Warm pan to med-low. Brush one side of tortilla with marg. Lay marg side into pan. Quickly layer with cheese, meat, tom, pep, onion & sprinkle a little taco spice on entire surface. Put another small layer of cheese & top with another tortilla. Allow to warm until browned on bottom. Brush top tortilla with marg, then flip until other side is browned. Cut up like pizza & serve with sour cream, guacamole & salsa.