need encouragement for fighting ssdi, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kayice, Nov 7, 2002.

1. kayice

kayice New Member

Hi, I'm new,shy,and overwhelmed with fighting my ssdi claim. Currently waiting on hearing date after being turned down twice,finally hiring a lawyer and being made to feel like I'm basically lying and stealing from the gov.. I'm 42, single mom of three, and have lost every ounce of pride, it is very hard for me to ask for help---and boy have I had to ask. Please give me input on the wait for ssdi, the odds of getting it,ect. Thank you and I have really liked reading some of your posts!
  2. kayice

kayice New Member

Hi, I'm new,shy,and overwhelmed with fighting my ssdi claim. Currently waiting on hearing date after being turned down twice,finally hiring a lawyer and being made to feel like I'm basically lying and stealing from the gov.. I'm 42, single mom of three, and have lost every ounce of pride, it is very hard for me to ask for help---and boy have I had to ask. Please give me input on the wait for ssdi, the odds of getting it,ect. Thank you and I have really liked reading some of your posts!
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

One of the first things my attorney told me was not to be surprised if I am denied the first two times. He said that is very common and I shouldn't take it personally. I hope this will help you see that you are not alone.

I know I was just overwhelmed trying to complete the paperwork and turned it in a long time after receiving it. I wasn't ignoring it, but I only worked on it on days when I knew I had the mental energy to do so. For me that's maybe two or three days a week, on a good week. Sometimes it's NO days a week, so it really dragged out for me.

Good luck to you. You are not alone in being denied more than once. Just keep fighting because that's how you will win.

Barbara
  4. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Thanks for being brave enough to post! I applied back in May of 2001 and after the initial 2 denials got a lawyer and had my hearing on August 2nd 2002. I am anxiously waiting for a decision, and it's driving me more crazy then I already was. I am young and have 4 children and have found that is being held against me in many ways. I understand how you feel you are cheating. Sometimes I feel like if I "win" that I don't deserve it, but then I think back to how very very difficult it was for me to work and how difficult it is for me to lift my littlest one, or mop my floor or cut my own food, and remind myself that working isn't an option anymore. I tried to work through 5 years of being diagnosed with tendonitis but kept trying, went to PT every day that I worked to recover enough to come home and do those duties but I couldn't do it anymore and I feel my fibro etc came on alot faster and harder then if I had given up 5 years earlier. I hate to complain, I hate to "whine" if you will so I grin and bear my pain, so I am sure I have created my own damage... ANYWAY, sorry for the rambling. I wish you luck, and it's so encouraging to hear people are out there fighting for the SS that we have worked for and deserve and hope to hear soon that you were rewarded!!!
    Sarad
  5. indnangel

indnangel New Member

I had my hearing Aug.14,2002.After about 6 weeks was approved.Now waiting on check to arrive,it was mailed out 11-5-02.I hope it gets here soon.
    God Bless