need encouragement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Dec 21, 2008.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

hello Im back again . Ive had a hard few months. I had a breakdown while trying to change meds .Im doing better now.I come here when I need encouragement that ill fine meds that will help.
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Sorry to hear that you are also having a rough time! I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Indiana it got colder much sooner than usual and that, along with college stress, has sent me into a bad CFS flare since late October.

It can be rough trying to change medications and find out what works. I'm a bit frustrated right now because I'm having issues with my antidepressant. I am guessing I need to try a new one because adjusting the dosage hasn't helped me any. I am still trying to keep hope though that there must be SOMETHING out there. I remember what remission feels like (was almost in remission last summer, 2007) and that gives me hope to keep going. I have had several breakdowns though, I can't lie. It's awfully hard to keep hoping when you feel like excrement 24/7, especially when you're trying to work on a lifelong dream.

I'm sure you'll find something though! Is your team of doctors good? My league is pretty awesome, I lucked out, unlike so many people it seems. Just try to keep the hope. Someday there'll be something for all of us, it just takes time. =]

*gentle hugs*
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

What a pretty username!

It is well known that people with FM, CFS/ME and other chronic illness are all very different. So, what works for one doesn't for another...

It's also well known that we often have to start out with just the very smallest doses, even half of the smallest dose given, and work up very, very slowly. Keeping a journal or just a few words on a calendar can track how you feel on each dose and as the days go by.

Often, we have to work thru a trial period of a medicine, maybe find out it doesn't work for us, and go on to the next, and maybe the next. Everyone's chemistry and metabolism works differently, so it's really a matter of finding the right one for you.

I must say, though, if you have been misdiagnosed, and it isn't really primary or even secondary depression a person has, then the meds could even make one feel worse.

I hope you will find what works for you, and the suggestion above, to try some naturals (try the store here on ProHealth to search for those), as they are often just as good for some people.

Best of luck to you, carebelle, and remember, we care....

4. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

Jen, nerdieduckie, where at in indiana? i am in south bend area and cant find a team of doctors to give me any pain meds so I have been struggling. I have FM though. Take care the weather here is horrible right now.

5. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

I have not been here for many months...because I have been feeling better! (Of course, that is relative...with winter coming on I have again been feeling like a 90 year old woman with arthritis in the mornings, my bladder screaming in pain, my hands like burning clenched claws, etc). But still- I have been learning so many new things that have helped my health, I have actually been working again and feeling wonderful* in so many ways! I just think back to when the first dr i went to tried to fix it with prozac (ugh!!!!!)

My point is: I feel 100 times better today than I could have imagined. It took many years, many tries, a day at a can happen!!! Hang in there!!!!!!!!

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My sister lives in Mishawaka. It looks like we are not going to make it up there as the weather is crummy.

I talked to my sister this AM and her heat went out. Sounds like you are getting worse weather, LOL, as it sounds pretty dismal already.

My BIL is an oncologist/hematologist and when I mentioned about that I had heard about doctors being scrutinized because of pain medications, his reaction was, "Good god, I hope not." I will ask him if he knows a doctor who takes pain into account with our DD.

Carebelle, it is so frustrating when we have to go by trial and error to feel better. It is the nature of this DD.

I also had troubles in the past with ADs wearing off. My doctor prescribed Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer but also helps you AD work better. However, I am not a doctor, so I am just relating my experience. This is the longest I have been on one AD.

Several months ago, I did not realize that I was taking a lower dose, about half of my Zoloft. Talk about brain fog!! At first this dramatically increased my pain and by the time I found out I was on the wrong dosage, the depression started coming back.

Welcome back to the board. Thank goodness we have this board for encouragement and support.

Take care.

7. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I am from Mishawaka, I now live in south bend, which if you know the area is a 10 minute drive apart from each other. The weather is very crappy up here. Hope all have great Christmas!

8. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Hi Jen,

I see you've written that you have a "good team of doctors." Do you mind me asking where in Indiana you live or who your doctors are? I'm also in Indiana

9. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Please hang in there.

This is a good place to come for encouragement or just to vent. Thank Goodness!

Are you working? I know it is difficult to carry on with work and try to take medications for this. I know that I can hardly function on some of the meds I've tried.
    And like most it's either choose to work and help pay bills or choose to stay home and try to take care of yourself and get your life back...and go hungry or loose your home while you're at it!

I was dx'd with this dd in 1999 and have been fighting an uphill battle with my employer since!
    Hang in there and remember although it doesn't seem so, there are many more folks "out there" that are much worse than we are. Keep the faith!

Gentle hugs,
  10. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey All,
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, my email hasn't been letting me know there has been replies! I'm in Southern Indiana, basically right across the river from Louisville, KY. My doctors are scattered about through New Albany, IN and Louisville. It's apparently freezing rain today which means more stress for me! My boyfriend has to drive our car (with no driver's side window, mind you) across the bridge to work. I love my car (she's really MINE, haha) but she needs so much work and it just terrifies me for him to be driving her in this weather. Gah.

But, 51F on Christmas. Not that I'm exactly happy about that though.
  11. jmq

jmq New Member

I am up late and catching up with posts. I saw yours and just wanted to just reach out and give you a big hug. I have found so much encouragement here and hope you do too. It is a wonderful place.

I too have struggled alot with medications....doctors....pain....depression, having to quit my job....disability denials...and all the other nightmares that come with this disease! ( I have FM )

Do have faith...I am doing better...finally. I am on many meds....and wish I could get off some of them...but I finally can function.