Need explanation of symptons I'm experiencing

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by roydoll, Jul 21, 2004.

1. roydoll

roydoll New Member

I have been experiencing symptons that have me worried. I have been to the doctor several times. I do not have high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart problems that they have discovered. However, I can feel my heart racing during the day and especially at night. Also, my heart will beat harder than normal at times. I also have trouble with pain in my left leg at times. My elbows are tender and I experience a mild tightening in the front of my neck. My doctor told me one time that it is stress, but I am not working or under any stress. I am worried because at night when I turn one way or the other my heart will race and beat hard. Has anyone had any of these symptons.
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

1. I have PAT, or better known as Paroxysmal atrial tachycardia: (I got this out of a medical dictionary) Abbreviated PAT. Bouts of rapid, regular heart beating that originate in the upper chamber (atrium) of the heart due to abnormalities in the atrioventricular (AV) node that lead to rapid firing of electrical impulses from the atrium that bypass the AV node. PAT tends to occur under certain conditions, including excess alcohol consumption, stress, caffeine use, overactive thyroid or excessive thyroid hormone intake, and use of certain drugs. PAT is an example of an arrhythmia in which the abnormality is in the electrical system of the heart, while the heart muscle and valves may be normal.

Mine would begin by sometimes just bending over to tie my shoes, or sleeping in a certain position, or getting a (normal)novicane shot; they evidently have a small amount of epinephrine in them. That would be enough to make my heart act up. certain sinus medicines would also cause it. I know it is scary, but my cardiologist would reassure me that it wouldn't kill me. A few times, I had to go to the ER to get it to stop. Most of the time, it stopped on its own.

#2. Thyroid. Get it tested.

I'm sure there are other things, these are the two that I know about.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2004]
  3. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

I had/have this very same racing and sometimes pounding heartbeat. I have CFS/FM/MCS (multiple Chemical Sensitivities Syndrome). Was sent to cardiologists who performed as expected and said the heart was beating too fast (Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia) and the "thumping" as I called it was disregarded by them. They gave me a Beta-Blocker (usual use is blood pressure) because it effeciently regulates the heart RATE. As for the thumping or pounding of the heart, a nutritionist suggested "Iosol" which believe it or not is basically Iodine. He told me to take ONE DROP in a glass of water each day three years ago. This stopped the hard beating or pounding or thumping. I cant figure out why, but it works, thank God. As a matter of fact, if I forget this "Iosol" drop, I get a reminder.
    One last note: the other Poster mentioned PAT (Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia) and this has very specific symptoms that might help you to rule it in or out. First, the episode (of fast rate) has a Sudden onset and termination and has a distinctive rate of either 167 or 214 bpm. Good luck.

[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2004]
  4. sadgirl1950

sadgirl1950 New Member

i have all of the symtoms u discibe i have mytro valve prolapse i take atenolol when i dont take it i have all those symtoms good luck its not serious

sadgirl1950