NEED GUIDANCE on Thyroid Testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. quanked

    quanked Member

    I think I have asked this question before but not sure. I have a dr.'s appointment soon. I have repeatedly read on the board about throid problems and about issues related to testing.

    I need to know *exactly which tests to ask for* and then what should I look for when I get my results. Also, if the tests reveal that I could benefit from medication what are the most effective meds to take for thyroid problems.

    Thanks in advance for your responses.

  2. TigerLilea

    TigerLilea Active Member

    Most GPs are taught that if the TSH is "normal" then no more testing is needed. However, according to Dr. Oz, you also need to have the T3 and T4 tested. Sometimes these can be off even when the TSH shows in the normal range.
  3. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

    There is a thyroid board on PH. I don't know how active it is but it might be worth a look.

    Good luck.

  4. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

  5. Puddleglum

    Puddleglum New Member

    Please google the College of Endocrinology. The guidelines for the ranges for the TSH have changed since 03. Some drs. & labs dont even know this. I have hypothyroidism.

    Also Mary Shomons book "Living well w/Hypothyroidism" is very helpful. Your library should have a copy.

    Maybe you could share some of your symptoms..that would help us know what advice to offer.

  6. isiselixir

    isiselixir New Member

    Good luck in getting all these tests done. You might want to also get a cortisol level test.
  7. quanked

    quanked Member

    First, thank you all for responding. I still do not understand all of this but I did request the tests that Jaminhealth recommended and the costisol test that someone else suggested today.

    I have to fast for the cortisol test so I will go in next week for that.

    At least this young doctor is willing to give me what I request. I found out today that they had referred my name to a dr. about 80 miles away for my CFIDS--over a year ago. The md never called me. She is an infectious diseas md. I would not see her anyway.

    I met her when my husband was getting tx for a disease (damned if I can recall the name) a year ago and I was not happy with her on many levels. She had to be nearing 70 and seemed more interested in high style, make-up and ways to make her practice easier with a high rate of profit. I do not have a problem with her age but by this time in life I would hope an individual has found more meaningful pursuits that one's appearance, especially an md. I was put off.

    What I wonder is if I were to find someone to work with me on the CFIDS would I improve enough to warrant the time, money and effort it would take to travel out for medical help.
  8. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    I agree with all of the testing that has been mentioned. I also suggest that you see a reputable endocrinologist. In my opinion a large majority GPs do not have the specialized training as most endocrinologists do.

    I have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's Disease) the most common cause of hypothyroidism.

    Good luck and feel better.

[ advertisement ]