Need Help, 3 yr old recurring strep now heart murmur,

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by greatgran, Aug 13, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I always come to the board for help so need advice from those of you with young children.

My 3 yr old great granddaughter, that I keep has tested positive 3 times for strep in 6 weeks. She is now on her 3rd round of antibiotics.

I took her back to the doctor yesterday to be checked, well still positive for strep so was put on the third antibiotic. Also she still has the heart murmur that was detected on her first visit when she was so sick with strep.

The doc thought the murmur might be related to the infection but since she still has it she wants her to see a cardiologist, then an ENT.

My little one complains of being so tired all the time and just doesn't have the energy she should have, now the doc isn't sure if its coming from strep or the heart. I am so
    upset and worried.

Those of you with little ones have you ever had this happen to your babies.

I may be over reacting but needed to vent.

Thanks and God Bless,
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm Hopeing it's nothing also! Was she tierd with no energy before the strep was DX?,,,,,My next to the oldest brother had a heart murmer for years growing up,,,,,but the problem just solved it's self in his late teen years,,,,,,,,,,I'll keep you all in my prayers!,,,,,,HUgs!,,,,,Sis
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, she has always been not as active as I felt she should be but a heart murmur was never mentioned until a couple weeks ago. Then she seems to have recuring strep so often but this is the longest.

She did have an EKG and Chest X-Ray which were normal but the doc still wants her to see a cardo.

Thanks for your prayers and reply.

4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

When my older daughter, K, was born she was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Doctors felt it would resolve as she aged, but now at 30, she still has it. We took her to a cardiologist when she was 12 and they checked it all out and her heart worked fine even with the murmur.

She also had a problem with strep. When she was 3 we were taking her to the doc constantly. She would go in and get antibiotics, finish them, and within about 48 hours be sick again.

At Children's Hospital in Seattle they finally put tubes in her ears, which surprisingly to me, cleared up the strep! I don't understand it, but it worked.

About 18 months later she had round after round of antibiotics for tonsils. After months of this doc scheduled surgery to remove her tonsils. We had to time it so that she finished a round of antibiotics the day before the surgery.

Since then she has hardly ever been sick. It seems to be hard to find a doc to take out tonsils anymore. Used to be just kind of standard for most kids. When my older sister was 5 and my big brother 3 my sister NEEDED her tonsils out. Bro got his out at the same time just because doc figured he was gonna have to have it done eventually anyway! How things have changed!

Praying for your little one!

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your encouragement, I do hope the heart murmur will not be anything serious. Yes, the doc did mention taking her tonsils out.

She sees the ENT and Cardo next month.

6. painterZ

painterZ New Member

and both were cured by having tubes placed in their ears. I also have a niece by marriage who has had bouts of chronic strep and she missed a lot of school last year. The pediatrician told my ex-bil that strep is just harder to treat these days due to over-use of antibiotics. Strep makes you feel awful so her body is probably just tired from fighting the infection so hard.

About the heart murmur...there are a bunch of different types so a cardiologist would be the best person to go to and find out if the murmur is significant or not. I was born a "blue baby" and have had a significant heart murmur and mitral value prolapse my whole life (now 37). It gives me some trouble from time to time with "flip-flops" and racing or even some chest pain. I've learned which pain is caused by which thing and don't typically panic anymore when my symptoms arise (although sometimes its still scary). My cardiologist has me on a simple beta-blocker and I can do whatever I want. They used to require you to take antibiotics prior to dental cleanings to prevent a heart infection but due to antibiotic resistant drugs, they no longer do that unless there is an infection present. I guess I'm saying try to take a deep breath...some murmurs are completely benign and children do outgrow them. I will keep you all in my's just sad when kids aren't feeling like themselves.

7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for your info. My little went back to the doc yesterday and her strep is sitll "iffy" as the doc put it. So now they are doing a culture. She is to see the ENT tomorrow.

She will be going on her fourth round of antibiotics, and still doesn't seem herself. She will be seeing the cardo on the 10th of next month.

I am just an ole Granny worrier when it comes to these little ones . I really appreciate your input.

God Bless,