Need Help Anyone know how to unstop an ear???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Aug 31, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I recently came back from a trip to CA and am back home in TN. I developed an allergy (maybe smog) while out there and my ear stopped up on the plane trip back home.

It's been about 2 weeks now. I've taken benadryl and sudafed together, also had ear drops, already had a Z-pak antibiotic and now on medrol dose pack (all at the advice of my doc). I've run a hair dryer on it and everything that I can possibly think of and I can't get it unstopped.

Has anyone ever had this problem and do you have any idea how to get it unstopped? I'm absolutely miserable with it like this and I don't have any idea what else to try.

And on another note... I've really missed you guys. My fibro has been doing so awesome lately (about a 4 on a scale of 10) that I haven't been on here in a really long time. Now if I can just get this ear and UTI under control, I'll be in pretty good shape.

Do any of you just seem to have one thing right after another all the time. I don't think I've been completely well in many years. I keep thinking that I'm making progress though.

Love to you all, and thanks for any advice.
    MrsJethro
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine having to live like that. I just figured since I'd lived in TN my entire life that maybe I've developed an immunity to the allergens in TN, but not in CA.

I can't possibly imagine having this for 14 years. I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to handle that. Of course with the fms, cfs, and all of those good things, and new ailments that go along with it, I guess one learns to adjust to the things we never thought we could.

I'm handling way more than I would have ever thought I could and doing it rather well, I suppose. I'm back up, so that's a huge plus.

I hope you get some relief. Do you have the pressure and pain in the ears also, or are they just plugged?? I feel like my head is in a bucket.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

.... if this would help blocked ears but I've had great success with Traumeel ear drops. Any time I have an ear problem,those drops clear it up very quickly.

Good Luck
    Kathy
  4. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Yes, I know what you're dealing with. You need to go to your health/natural food store and ask for ear candles. They'll come single or in a package (4). You might need 4-6 or so. Someone there will know what I'm talking about. It's an old egyptian remedy. They work SO well, you'll be amazed.

My husband flies a lot for business and likes to swim in the hotel pools. He gets sinus and ear infections all the time. (Well used to) But, now that we do ear candling when he feels congestion, he no longer takes Sudafed or any antibiotics. If it's really bad and it sounds like it is while you are already at the store, I would also buy a homeopathic ear remedy. You might need both since this has been going on for a while. Look for Newton Homeopathics #6 Earache. Follow directions on the bottle

If you don't live near a health food store, go online to www.dakara.com. They also have the instructions for the Ear Candle. You will have to have someone do the ear candling for you because you light it on fire. The heat causes a vacuum like suction which draw out the moisture and the infection. Hope you feel better soon!! And if you have Garlic capsules take about 6 twice per day to help with the bacterial load. You'll feel better in less than 48 hours!!!

Good luck!

skierchik
  5. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I went to this health food store and I am sure you can find it around at similar stores but it is a a candle that is hollow.

It will tell you how to use it and the way it works is you light this candle and the vacumn the fire makes inside the hollow tube sucks what ever is in there out.

It is worth a try does not cost much and you can use it over and over again but it takes two people and a pie pan!

Anywho it sounds weird but has been used for ages by people.

Something is better than nothing!

I pray that it will work for all of you if you try it and it has help me a little bit but my problem is a bit different so it might work for you better!

Fibro hugs,
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I was always told that to hold your nose shut, and keeping your mouth shut, slowly breathe....this will force out any air bubbles. If it is not air bubbles, then you will have to go to an ENT for treatment.

Ingrid
  7. cats2595

cats2595 New Member

Have you tried Debrox? You can get it at a local pharmacy/Walmart, etc. It is for loosening up wax in case that is what is stopping up your ears.

Good luck!

Cats
  8. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I have to second that suggestion for ear candles. I've never used them to unclog an ear due to pressure but it is great for pulling anything out of the ear that doesn't need to be there. The heat will acutally vacuume out the air and wax. It feels so good and I do it quite regularly. Give it a try. I do beleive you will find the relief you need.
  9. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

MrsJethro,

I'm glad you asked about this because my son always has ear wax and he is a musician and his ears are always clogged. He puts in alittle apple cider vinegar and BINGO!!
    the ear is opened up. It works everytime. Good Luck! Barbie
  10. intensemom

intensemom New Member

HI! I'm sorry to hear that! Maybe I can be of help...

I suffered from chronic ear infections(in one ear) due to allergies for almost 10 years. Here is what works:

Short term:

1. prednisone(shrinks the swollen eustachian tube)
    2. sometimes a decongestant and antihistamine....try different types!!! Maybe Zyrtec? That is what I take.

Long term:

1. a tube in your ear drum...it may be hard to find an ENT that will do it without repeated ear infections. shop around!

2. allergy shots

3. chiropractic care

I used all of these; but the long term ones have kept my ear clear for Several years now!

((Hugs))
    Tracy
  11. kimkane

kimkane New Member

My dad used to suffer from the same thing. His Dr told him to mix 1/2 alcohol, 1/2 white vinegar. Doesn't matter what size you mix up as long as its 1/2 & 1/2. Then I take one of those baby nose sucker things, sorry I can't find the right word for that, lmao.

I then put one of those lil kidney shaped plastic dishes they use in hospital for getting sick in. I have my dad hold it just under his ear. I flush it out with the alcohol/vinegar solution. It has worked wonders for my dad.

Good luck to you, Kim
  12. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Thanks all you beautiful people. I've really missed you.

I've been considering the ear candling, but it sort of scares me. I'm afraid that it will somehow make it worse, but if so many of you have gotten good results, then I may break down, face my fears, and go get some of them. We have a local health food store, so I should be able to get some there. I know basically how to use them, just always been afraid.

I've been doing the antihistamine, decongestant, medrol dose pack (which I think is basically prednisone) routine now for about a week or two and it's just not working.

Love and hugs to you all!!
    MrsJ[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  13. grace4u

grace4u New Member

ear candles are safe if available. If not roll paper into small cone funnel have someone light the other end. Works just like ear candle. I read this while in nursing school , told my instructor about it. she said surely you did'nt!! I was too embarrased to tell her that I had. Worked wonders for my daughter!! We were poor and I did'nt have time to search for candles. (did'nt even know about them.) Don't catch your hair on fire with candles or funnel (lol)Good luck. Sandra