Need help arranging Spatial Olympics 2008 (event name changed)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by teacher, Jul 6, 2008.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

Since the Summer Olympics are coming up, I've been pondering the idea of an Olympics for CFS/MEers, FMers, RAers, Depressives, etc.

"Unfit" doesn't seem quite right since we tend to be slim, trim and very athletic in our minds! lol So, a better name is needed.

We could have events like:

Snack Shuffle - the first one to make it to the kitchen for something to eat that actually comes back with what they went for wins

High jump - telling each other stories and the first one to jump to a conclusion before hearing the whole thing wins

Telephone tag - spend all day trying to get an insurance comopany to give you a straight answer (or any other corp. for that matter) - first one to solve the problem wins

The stadium seats could be those Lazy Boy type chairs for seniors that heat, massage, and assist you in standing.

The sponsoring hotel could be Comfort Inns and Suites.

Don't know when or where to have it.

So, any ideas out there?

[This Message was Edited on 07/07/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a good idea to me, Teacher.

We could have the grand event at Hot Springs, Arkansas, which likes to call itself Spa City.

We might consider an endurance contest. Who can sit in the dr's waiting room the longest and still stay conscious.

Possibly we could devise some sort of Texas hold-em game. Contestants would use their plastic cards: Social Security, Medicare, Medicare D, Medicare RX, Discount Pharmacy, Sr. Citizen Discount, handicapped parking sticker, etc.

We might consider a fashion show. The players go into a thrift shop nude and have 15 minutes to put together a stunning outfit for under $20.

(Well, the other customers might be stunned.)

We could have a semi-Jeopardy contest. No need to hire Alex Trebek. A manikin from the thrift shop will have equal charisma.

The winner will be whoever can remember the most of these: address; phone number; names of children and grandchildren; name of current vice president or American Idol contestant.

(During the past few months I couldn't remember my address, phone number or only grandchild's name.)

As for a name, I suggest the Spatial Olympics as brain fog has most of us spaced out much of the time.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Fun Post!

All i can think of is that we could have Wheel chair races and the winner's get a life time supply of ice cream!,,,and oh yes all the events have to be Catered by Doctors and other folks that don't believe we are ill,,,!,,,,,,,i'm havin' a great day can you tell!,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2008]
  4. teacher

teacher New Member

I like the name "Spatial Olympics". You're very punny Rock!

Sis, I like the idea of catering by doctors. Can't you see it now? Chow Is Us MDs.

Speaking of doctors, how about a gurney race to go along with the wheel chair race. This one could be done in teams like a relay. Lab coats flapping in the wind and IV racks racing to keep up. Winning team gets a trip to the massage room! Losing team gets stuck with the IV needles.

I like the idea of Hot Springs Arkansas. This would allow the committee to give every participant a 4 hour spa treatment package of their choice.

Keep these ideas floating everyone!

5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Very cute post!

Here are some more events to consider:

How about a Prescription Drug Contest? This has 2 Categories:

1st Category: Useless Prescription Drug Contest.
    Whoever has been prescribed the most prescriptions drugs by their doctor that never worked wins.

2nd Category: Most Money Spent on Prescription Drugs. Self Explanatory. Whoever spends the most on prescription drugs per year wins. This could be expanded to a 3rd category to add vitamins and herbal supplements as well.

Sleeping Contest! Whoever can sleep through the night AND wake up refreshed wins. I'm not sure if we will get a winner in this one, but hey, we need some challenging events. After all, it's an olympics! ;-)

6. teacher

teacher New Member

I like the prescription drug categories. (sure hope I spelled that right today) I can most certainly relate to that!

Maybe we could make a giant time capsule, at the closing ceremony, out of all the leftover pills we've all amassed? Send it out into space during the fireworks?

We do need someone youthfull. How about inviting some of the top high school and college marching bands to entertain us between events? We will need the time to catch our breath before we shuffle off to our next events. :)

7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Guess I would suggest a standing pill balance and a moving pill balance.

See how many pills (aspirin?) can be balanced on top of each other on a table.
    And see how many can be balanced on hand while walking.

A good facsimile of the Olympic rings symbol can be easily made with 5 coffey cup spill rings. :)