Need help baking at sea level????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BethM, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

All my recipes have been adapted for living at 4000 feet, but we live at sea level now. I baked chocolate chip cookies a couple days ago and they came out more cake-like than cookie-like, and refused to brown.

The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter, but I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup canola oil as I have in the past. I did not expect the results I got.

Anyone have advice on cookie baking or baking in general at sea level? Or adapting my recipes?

I bought an oven thermometer because the oven in my new house is digital and not very accurate, so I need to keep an eye on the temperature when I use the oven.

So, any words of wisdom?

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I had NO IDEA Sea Level affected baking at all. Amazing.
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

yep, sure does. When we moved to our desert home in 1986, I baked cupcakes for our youngest's 3rd birthday, not realizing I needed to adjust for high altitude. We had hockey pucks, not cupcakes! Steep learning curve!

I'll need some trial and error here, I guess.

4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Crisco=thicker cookies , less diameter, more uniform color

Butter - thinner cookies, more diameter, browner around edges.

I lived at sea level for years. Hmmmmmmmm. I don't recall any changes to my baking. I never lived at 4,000 feet though. so my baking would probably flop at that high altitude!

If you use Fleishman's margarine, I know you have to use the regular one. It will state that it is good for baking on the label. If you use the other kind of Fleishman's, your baking could flop.