Need help BAP Test and Doctor Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by risinforce, Oct 12, 2006.

1. risinforce

risinforce New Member

Hi there,

I have an issue on my hands that I need advise on. I have been seeing my doc for over a year now and she was very supportive of me until this last spring. That is when she started pushing "Mindfullness Breathing and Meditation" on me. I went through an eight week course on this that she taught. Mostly out of pressure and fear she wouldn't treat me anymore.

Mindfullness Breathing and Meditation is all about breathing from the stomach and meditating. Being mindful of everything around you so you react better in stressful situations etc. This in turn releases good hormones to help w/pain.

Great concept and it is good advise too. She believes it cured her back pain problem that was near cripling. Great for her. However, she is convinced it can cure anything and has begun to stop seeing me as a patient through doctor's eyes. She has actually begun telling me to pray etc. She has Christian liturature on her waiting room table etc.

Last time I checked, doctor's need to be careful about the fine line of being a doctor or running a spiritual clinic.

Anyway, as part of this 8 week course I had to take 2 BAP (Behavioral Assessment of Pain) tests. One in the beginning and one at the end. This course did not change my pain level. She believes if you meditate mindfully for over an hour a day you will get better. I don't have an hour to do anything for myself.

Last appt I got a copy of this BAP test and my scripts. I only saw the nurse so I never talked to the doc. When I took my scripts in to fill them the doc lowered my breakthrough med. WHY! She never discussed this w/me. Then I read the BAP test and it said to do that in the "conclusion" part of the test.

This test not only is confusing but it has trick questions and with FM, I could have been feeling one way when taking the first test and another way when I took the second test. The results cannot be taken as solid and written in stone. Not to mention that the creators of this test have no idea who I am, how I feel, what my life is like etc.

I don't know what to do or how to deal with this. The thought of getting a new doc scares me to death. I don't want to start over. What choice do I have though. My doc has begun to say things that are demeaning to me and my illness. I am scared and frusterated and hurt as well.

Please help. If you have taken this test, please let me know what happened. I voluntarily took this test not realizing it would punish me.

Thanks,
    Shawn
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I know it is scarry to get a new one but sometimes we have to. If she is not helping you, and it sounds like she is making things worse. You definately need to look for a new doc. I would think that in the city that you live in, there must be someone on here that has a good doc they could recommend. You might trying posting that you need a doc in your area to see if anyonn can help you. I just got a new doc just that way. I have only had one visit with him but at least I feel better just knowing that someone on here helped me. Remember that is why we are here...Good luck....~hugs~ Mick!!