Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ~Sibyle~, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I was on medication before I had my baby. I quit taking it all when I found out I was pregnant.

I have been off of my medication for well over a year now because I am breastfeeding. The time has come for me to make a choice. Do I continue breastfeeding while on this medication or do I wean?

The medication is Topamax. Dr. Hale's website says that it appears to be relatively safe for breastfeeding mothers. However, baby's ped says that it can cause nerve damage and Tourettes (sp). The only reason I am questioning the ped is because he also told me that the only women who get Post Partum Depression are women who are Bi-polar.
    My baby is almost 8 months old and weighs 21 pounds.

Please help me decide. I have reached a point where I am no longer able to function as a wife and mother without it.

TIA.

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but to quit breastfeding....for my health, i was so anemic and my son was not getting enough...i did it for a month...he has been healthly, he had ear infections but rather i was breastfeeding your not he would have had them anywyas...but that was about it...than god.

and once you do stop bf, you will feel so much better you can have other people help with the feedings....

jodie
  3. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

So far I have really enjoyed breastfeeding my son. I was not able to do that with my first one.

He is a very good little guy and in order to make it easier on myself, we co-sleep. I will hate having to get up in the night and fix a bottle.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with a new doc. I am hoping that she will have some alternatives for me and that I can continue to breastfeed my baby.

To Jodie

I am so sorry you had trouble breastfeeding. You did a wonderful thing for your baby by breastfeeding for a month. Be proud of yourself!

I never thought I would get this far.

Thanks again!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2006]
  4. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I wouldnt risk the baby by taking the med. Why dont you put the baby on formula. That way you will be well and so will the baby. I never breast fed nor did my daugters breast feed their children and we all turned out ok. My mother never breast fed our family either. So look after yourself without risking your child.
    hugs poodlemum