Need help! Declined Application for Insurance!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeansMom, Apr 29, 2009.

1. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

I recently moved to another state. When I left my previous job, I couldve taken COBRA, but dumb me..I didn't know if I'd have a job quickly, (and it was very expensive), so I declined it.
    I found a short term plan online. Well, the plan ran out after a month, I had my dates off and didn't renew it in it expired.

I have applied to 3 different plans now and have been declined each time. I had an emergency gall bladder removal in 2000 in the ER (no problems since), then I had endometriosis and had surgery and Lupron injections in 2006 and 2007.
    After that, I started having the back problems and finally diagnosed with Fibro in 2008. I have had numerous injections, nerve ablation, nerve blocks, PT, medications, doctors, etc.. since then (but not THAT numerous....) I also take meds for highblood pressure.

I don't know what to do. I know that since I've had this lapse, I will have pre-existing condition exclusions IF I am ever to get covered, so I will have to suck it up and self-pay for my pain dr visits and I have the Walgreen's plan for my prescriptions. But I'm just concrened that I'm walking around with no insurance...what if I get in an accident or need my appendix removed or something drastic?
    Where can I find someone to approve my application? I've tried several plans on, only to be denied. I'm scared!!
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I don't know what state you live in or exactly what options they have, but I know that in my state they have a plan for people who are unable to get other insurance (or for whom it would be really expensive)'s still through a regular insurance company (the state itself is not acting as an insurance company) (in my state it's thru blue cross), but basically it treats all the people who need insurance for these reasons as a group (similar to how you would be part of a group if you were getting it thru an employer - just the state is like the "employer" per se) my state it's called CHIP (Comprehensive health insurance plan) do not have to worry about pre-existing condition issues, bc that's not legal thru group insurance anymore....anyway, I'd try to look it up under your state + CHIP or something along those lines....I was on it for awhile, and found it to be very good (unfortunately once I qualified for medicare I became ineligible)
  3. daylight

daylight New Member

We qualified for medi-cal but now they want us to pay a share of cost. Now if I could do that we wouldn't have join the program to began with. Yes there is hope of medicare in the future but I may still have 6 month until that goes through.
    It really stink that they insure healthy people and leave those that actually need to see the doctors to just cope silently at home. I think that it's ironic that I can get ssdi because of multiple disabilities but I can't afford the insurance no matter how low the cost is.

But as Jamminhealth said 30-50 million of us are un-insured . The only reason I had medical help in the last 2 months is because of the free medi-cal program . But thats over come june 1st.
    Then no meds,doctors,house bound due to pain and flares .
    Boy do understand want you are going through. But try not to let this get you down. There has got to be a solution .
  4. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi, don't know where you live, but like someone else said your state should have a plan. In oregon, Blue Cross Blue Shield runs it for them so it's like theirs, just another program they have called "OMIP" oregon medical insurance plan.........when my COBRA ran out I found the same as you, no one would take me, so I went there....premiums in the beginning for 500 ded and decent coverage pluse decent prescription coverage was 338. At the end of three years I think it was at 445 so it went up quickly.

Also, don't know ability to pay, but if you are under a certain income, the state will help or pay your premiums for the program.

I was also hearing that some insurers are starting to take high risk people at their regular rates to get ahead of what they think that Obama will soon force them to do. I'm not sure how to find out what companies that might be.....and it may not be true.

Good Luck,
  5. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I actually have found a health insurance broker and emailed her my "issues" keeping me from being insured.

Doing more research online also. Thanks again! :)
  6. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I do have a job with insurance, however, it is $400 a month, just for me. I called around to see if I could get cheaper insurance, but, FIBROMYALGIA was a GIANT red flag. I was told it would be cheaper to take the insurance I have.