NEED HELP fixing my sleep pattern...BIG mess

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janasw1, Mar 11, 2007.

1. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I am on a COMPLETELY messed up sleep schedule, I get to sleep at the EARLIEST around 5:30 AM, and usually sleep until 3 or 4 PM!
    This isn't SO TERRIBLE considering I'm a college student with late classes and no job at the moment, but I know it's unhealthy to sleep this way and I definitely feel a lot worse...
    I'm sure plenty of you have had this type of problem before, so in your experience, ASIDE FROM SLEEPING PILLS because I'm VERY anti-medicine, how might I reverse this never-seeing-the-sun-anymore HELL?

Also, any idea WHY I can't sleep normally? I've heard of adrenal problems that cause this, is that true? Any other possible causes that you know of?

Thanks in advance!
    - Whitney
  2. i have fibromyalgia and ME/chronic fatigue syndrome.many years ago i was given amitripyline 50 mg tablets,and i take one of these at 7 pm.then around about 9pm i feel the affects of the pill,in that im starting to feel very tired,so ill go to bed at 9pm.

i then wake up at 5am each morning.this is always the same for me every day.but sometimes i have forgotten to take my tablet (not often)and i just cant sleep at all,no matter how i try.i was a bit sad about that,as i hate having to rely on pills to get me to sleep.

but as ive grown older,and this fibro has developed more,i now realise that my mind gets very hyperactive,and seeing as my muscles and tendons cant be hyper (due to stiffness)i have excepted that i need the amitripyline if i want to get some sleep.the tablet slows the body down,so im told.and maybe that is why i dont get those dibilitateing migraine headaches now.

most of us on this board have said that we were high achievers in our younger years..supermen and women.always on the go doing this and that.i believe that we need something to slow down the hyperactivity and amitripyline is working well for me.so im able to get some sleep with it.

see your doctor and ask if you can try it yourself,but be aware that not everyone can tolerate it.i just must be lucky.

kind regards

fran
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

And it is said that those really off with their schedules should probably see one to oversee getting you back on track.

But perhaps you could look into setting your alarm for 9 a.m., even though you've gone down at 5:30. At 9, get up, and go sit outside, in the sun (if your location permits), or get some type of bright-light exposure. When evening comes, turn down the lights in your home -- no tv, no Internet. If you aren't adverse, take HALF of a 3 mg melatonin tablet and see if you can go to sleep at 1 or 2 a.m. Then MAKE SURE you get up at 9 and get lots of sun again. The next night try the melatonin at 11 or midnight.

You've got medical problems which have declined into bad sleep habits as well -- that's why I suggest to see a REAL sleep physician.

But understanding the link between bright daylight and melatonin production, and doing a little selective sleep 'trimming' for a few days -- yes, and enduring a bit more hell along the way -- might inch your body closer to the schedule you want to have.
  4. Aelf

Aelf New Member

If you're anti medicene you could try staying up 3 hours extra a night until you're on a good sleep schedule...

i.e. since you go to bed at 5:30 stay up till 8:30AM then sleep, 11:30AM then sleep 2:30PM, 5:30PM, 8:30PM, then 11:30PM and stop changing there.

It's rough but if you can manage to do it I've heard it works.

Good luck!

C
  5. janasw1

janasw1 New Member

I'm on amitripyline now, 25 mg I think...it worked very well at first but then kinda stopped, I tend to get used to drugs very easily and I don't really want to keep upping it....

It seems like EVERYTHING that I've been on has worked WONDERS for everyone else...but not me.
    I'm wondering if there's a reason for this. Maybe I'm like medicine intolerant or something...
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've had huge results from taking adrenal glandulars and have almost cured my sleep disorder. It's only when my yearly bout w/ SAD kicks in and kicks out tht it rears its head for a short time now. I'll take a bit of clonazepam for a day or 3 at a time to help reset when I'm too upside down.

I've had so many benefits from taking glandulars, and the circadian rhythm improvements have been the slowest to heal. I think I'm still on the mend w/ that and I've been on glands for a year and half now. But the treatment is only about $35 /mth. there is a thread on Bigmama's adrenal update you can search out and I explain the brands in detail.

I also use routine and strict sleep hygiene methods to help me, but that never worked before taking glandulars.

jeanne

Jeanne