Need help for anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by matthewson, Mar 12, 2006.

1. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Hi everyone. I have been having bad anxiety attacks for a few days now! They will not ease up. Haven't had them this bad in a few years, so I have no benzos. available. I am going to try to get into the Dr. tomorrow. Meanwhile, is there anything you could recommend that I could get at the drugstore that would work similar to the benzos, although I know they would not work nearly as well.

I have some SOMA, but I haven't used it. Would that help? I know it is a muscle relaxer. My problem when I get bad anxiety is that the muscles in my throat tighten up so bad that it actually physically hurts! And my heart feels like it is pounding a mile a minute. I am going out of my mind with this because it is SO uncomfortable!

I have been taking some vicoden, which I normally don't use much, as it seems to help a little, but I don't want to keep taking it.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sally
  2. CarolK

CarolK New Member

A supplement of cal/mag is supposed to help.

I know that magnesium is a muscle relaxer... so you might want to give it a try.

and if all else fails... have a small glass of wine. I cannot tolerate alcohol myself, but if that will help you through till you get to see your doctor.. well then give it a try.

hope you feel better soon Sally!

Blessings... CarolK
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

The Calcium/Magnesium helps. Magnesium is the best for a muscle relaxant only.

Like another post said, maybe some physical exertion would help.

sometimes I think our autonomic nervous systems cause these panic attacks.

try anything that you think would normally be soothing to you.

even B vitamins might help.

I hope you feel better soon.

Kendra
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You always help me. Re your anxiety. Do you have anything you can listen to, to take your mind of things. I tune into the BBC Radio via computer, free, and listen to all the plays till I fall asleep. 2mg Valium helps me too.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Love Anne C

Oh do you have any chamomile tea?
  5. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Hi,
    I have had good luck with cal mag drink or magnesium, but what will help you calm down pretty quick and help your throat (the closing feeling) is plain old benedryl. Take 2 to 3 tablets..it will help. This came straight from my doctor and it is about the safest to take no matter what other meds you are on. The only side effect you might have is that it might make you sleepy.

I hope this helps. "lilchisler"
  6. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I use to get the anxiety and panic attacks all the time. So far the only med that helps me is Klonopin.

I hope you feel better soon!
  7. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I actually had been taking tums all day, as I was also having some acid reflux too. I glanced at the label and they have mag. and calcium in them. So I took 2 more and then actually I forgot that I had already taken my neurontin and ended up taking an extra one and I have to tell you, I slept like a baby! My Dr. wants me to go up to 3 a day anyway, so I guess I will do that.

Woke up with a migraine headache. It is raining here and sometimes that sets them off. This is just a new thing, as I had never really had migraines before. I took my tramadol and a little bit of vicoden and went back to sleep and it is under control now. Feeling a little less anxious, but it is still there. I am going to see if the Dr. can give me some xanax or ativan. That has worked well in the past when I have had this.

I did a little research on-line and I came across a great article on neurotransmitters. It explains in detail the kind of reactions you get if you have too much or too little of each thing. I will post the link as a separate post.

Thanks again for all of your responses! You guys are great!

Take care, Sally

[ advertisement ]