Need help for friend with fibro her family

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2bafriend, Jul 1, 2008.

1. 2bafriend

2bafriend New Member

I have a close friend who i actually met while she was president of a humane Society. She has fibromyalgia, and is not able to work. Money is tight right now. Her husband is 53, a really nice guy, but is having alot of dental problems. Its sort of genetic i guess, because his father had teeth problems at a young age. Anyway, i don't want to get too personal, but he basically needs his remaining teeth pulled, and needs top & bottom dentures. The problem is they honestly can't afford it. Do you guys know of places or organizations that can help with funding etc to help end her husbands agony he goes through everyday. He can't eat right, and the pain is clear in this face. We are in NC. Close to GA & TN. Any ideas are much needed and appriciated. Seeing her husband like this is affecting her, causing her more stress & more pain. ITs bad enough she is physically tormented everyday, now she has to see her best friend/ partner in this agony & he is not good at tolorating the pain like she is, its really having an effect on her emotionally too. Please, help if you can.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

You are a good friend. Welcome to the board.

Here is some information that may be of some help:

Services are available for low-income and special needs patients.

Low-income patients may qualify for Medicaid or NC Health Choice.

Contact your local Department of Social Services to see if you qualify.

For a list of Medicaid providers, please contact the NC Division of Medical Assistance at 1-800-662-7030.

Low income and special needs patients may also contact their county health department or a local free clinic for dental services.

Best of luck,

Karen :)

3. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

have they thought about going to a dental school? students need people to practice on and it's really cheap. No, worries there are always qualified dentists watching the whole thing.
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

If they are close to a dental school, they can see what they offer. Does he still work? In Texas, we have the Texas Rehabilitation Commission which helps 'rehab' people so they can continue working. I worked for a dentist years ago and we had 2 patients where TRC paid the bill. One was a young woman who had lost her front teeth in a wreck and was finishing up law school. So your state might have something available.

SOME dentists do pro-bono work. I say some because in this economy I'm not sure if many do anymore. You can always call area dentists, lay out the problem and see if they have any suggestions.
  5. 2bafriend

2bafriend New Member

You guys are always so awesome! You have great advice, and good solutions for everything. I will pass this info along to her.
    Also... This doesn't necessarily pertain to Fibro, but she has recently had a bladder infection. She was given an anti0biotic, Septra??? After 8 days of taking the antibiotic, her body had an allergic reaction, she is very inchy all over and could't sleep at all... She sounds very miserable. Though this isn't fibro related, i know all of you have had alot of experience with Drs. and medicines, the nurse told her to stop taking the antibiotics, but her bladder infection isn't gone, would an allergic reaction suddenly occur after 8 days of taking the 10 day regime of meds???