Need help !!!! for my art website in English

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by karinaxx, Oct 17, 2009.

1. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

"Critques":

"Craftsmen" rather than "crafts man "?

Art created from stone has been around for at least 30,000 years.

Seems a little unclear what is available, ancient art as well as modern created art?

Are the works of Michel Angelo and Henry Moore on display and available?

"Planned" , as used, I think has two "n's".

---------------------------------------------------------

My short version:

Art Global Online

Art Global Online exhibits unique art created with traditional, natural materials like mineral, fossils, wood , petrified wood, bronze, and stone. These resources have been transformed by legendary artists for milennia to enrich past lives, our lives, and future generations for millennia to come.

The Gallery exhibitions include art from private collections, and art planned for exhibition in 2010 in Switzerland. Schools of art worldwide are encouraged. Katrina.

www.artglobalonline.com

My first, probably better, (original, unique, lively!?) version got erased.

Anyway, deliberately short, with details listed at website, would be my style. Sometimes, with some audiences, less is more. More mysterious-interesting. Encourage a feeling of participation of client in the art creation.
    It sounds worthwhile and fun. Wishing you good luck, your mr bill

Oh, I had fun giving a 200,000 year old red flint hand axe to my brother last Christmas. Looked like lasting "art" to me!

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2009]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I can't wait to see it, Karina! I love Indonesian & Bali art in particular.

I have an ebony carved 'snake god" about 18" tall carved by an unnamed artist, extremely well done; my aunt was there and picked one out for her and one for my Mom, my aunt definitely had an 'eye' for things + knowledge.

I agree with the corrections Bill said, I would also add:
    "Some of her last pieces of original art work" instead of "Some of her last original art work"

Now I have to google your grandmother to see if anything is online right now (is there?). I typed in your website but it's not showing yet, just says it's coming...

Good luck. There are so many great artists/artisans from all over the world. Now that I live in Mexico I've fallen in love with the somewhat strange 'catrinas' (skeletons dressed in their finest clothes from all walks of life, the more outrageous the costume & expressions the better! The only thing that keeps me from buying one is my DH, he's sure to break it... looking for the papier mache ones now LOL).

I really hope this works for you!

all the best,
    Victoria<B

(PS Mr bill - would've loved to have read your original version!)

4. victoria

victoria New Member

My Dh and I moved in July '08... we're in the central highlands by a small city (Patzcuaro); it's about a 3.5 hour drive to the Pacific coast (Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa), elevation is about 7200 feet, in a (dead) volcanic range altho we do get occasional (small:) quakes.

The major adjustment was to the elevation change... I'm sure it took me longer to adjust than it does for 'normals'. That was the hardest for me. The weather overall is not bad (for me) as it's pretty much the same year-round in the daytime - highs in 60s (F) in winter and in high 70s (F) in summer. But lots of daily (usually fairly brief) rain in the summer, and in April-May it is the driest and hottest, tho there's always a cool mountain breeze thankfully.

I had to go off my protocol for lyme in order to store household things back in the US, then drive with 4 dogs in 2 cars 2,000 miles LOL... then adjust to the elevation... then return to clear out the storage and drive what we wanted back here! And then re-adjust to the elevation...

I managed to hold up OK with long spells of rest in between and careful pacing when busy; I'm now back on my protocol and working my way through it. I've realized I have lyme after going through some old tests, and probably other things that are difficult to test for reliably; no surprise as my son has it (still, since he went so long undiagnosed). (He is stabilized but is still dealing with it and disabled.)

There's a U.S. man with FM who moved to the city of Queretaro, Mexico (north of me) because it has a shorter rainy season - he says his Fibromyalgia has much improved because there are fewer weather changes for most of the year.

He wrote an article in fact that I think is still in the library here. I think he said the hardest time for him was the rainy season due to the high/low pressure weather systems moving through very quickly... and he can live here on disability.

He must have improved since 2005 because since then, he's written some books about moving there.

I looked up your grandmother's name, and saw she wrote some books and there was one item that had been up for an auction in the past year or 2; but sadly, no pictures. I'm really looking forward to seeing your new site!

all the best,
    Victoria

5. victoria

victoria New Member

So sorry you're still struggling, but glad your son is doing better at least, and can go to school!

I put ' erna binz auction ' into google, the first site was this:
    http://www.artnet.com/artist/425752652/erna-binz.html

it was sold in 2008, and this time there IS a picture of a pot... very nice. This wasn't the site I originally saw, but if you scroll down that initial google search page there may be more...

That's sad there's family disagreements like that, it's so common...

Keep me posted, yes, I'd like to stay in touch!

all the best,
    Victoria

6. victoria

victoria New Member

wow that is a coincidence... so did she write books or was that the other one too? Are the birthdates similar?

Maybe she's related in a distant way; it's amazing how so many in an extended family tend to have similarities. In my 'extended' family there are a lot of engineers and artists, down to 3rd+ cousins...

Can't wait to see what you post!

all the best,
    Victoria

7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

wasn't that much longer.....but thank you for being interested. I think we have all felt the frustration of losing a first version.......the one with a feel of originality and creativity. Recreating just doesn't feel as alive.

Oh, I found some interesting articles about heat treating stone to make it more workable and "pretty" (Science magazine, esp.). Apparently, about 72,000 years ago, people were making stones easier to flake and more vitreous by placing stones in fire pits. Very similar to the firing of ceramics in fire pits. Takes several days.

Apparently, some aborigines in Australia were, until recently, making arrow points this way that were so beautiful that they traded as money and art objects.

Wishing you more luck in your project. Your mr Bill
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome back. Think you got some good suggestions from Bill and
    Victoria. You could TELL folks you are Swiss. Then they would understand
    if they find some minor problem. But it seems very well done to me.

Yes, those crazy Germans. Always putting the verb last. Like Yoda.

In paragraph 5, counting from the bottom, the verb after "her unique mineral-fossil
    art" should be "seems".

Have always seen "Michelangelo" as one word.

Are you going to ship ceramics? I would be worried they would break.

Good luck w/ your project.

Rock
  9. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

About her person, her vitality and her thrive to create was written a lot.
    As a well known Artist in Berner Oberland, Switzerland, my grand mother Erna Binz lived until her old age of 94 at the Lake of Thun.

I was always impressed by the versatility in Erna's work and life. In one way she loved the typical organized life in Switzerland, on the other hand she loved to travel, understand other cultures and other ways of living. This understanding is reflected in her art work. Erna Binz worked with ceramics, bronze, minerals and fossils. Her themes were, abstract or figurative, mostly simple, but global themes of family, love, dance, music and children captured in their daily activities.

In younger years Erna and her husband Walter travelled in their “Thunderbird” van all over Africa. Her journeys, which are portrayed in her book “Adventure Africa” influenced her life and work.
    As a child I was fascinated by her tales: about monkeys which jumped on to the roof top of their van just to help themselves to a healthy meals of fruits, about pigs which had to be hushed from water pots on the road in order to continue their travels and sandstorm which Erna and Walter barely survived.

In one of her stories Erna describes how she discovered the “ Sand rose” a mineral stone found in the desserts of Africa and were later used by her for her famous mineral art work.
    “As we travelled through the desert there were always people gathering around our van trying to sell us something. I discovered the “Sand rose”. As a practical thinking woman, being used to save and recycle anything, we fitted a second floor into our car which could be used for storing food and second hand clothes, items hard to come by in the desert. At our next journey we offered to exchange these items in return for these rare mineral. Everyone was very happy about the deal and I had my new resources for my art work.”

“Erna’s passion to collect minerals and fossils from all over the world and create her unique Mineral Fossil Pictures has become the actual hallmark of her art work. Erna worked with Crystals, Amethyst, Quartz, Achate, as well as ceramics placed into armored Cement.”
    In later years Erna included fossils into her mineral fossil art.
    In awe she often stood in front of her million year old fossil pictures:”unbelieveable, they are hundred of millions of years old”!

Ceramic was another of Erna passions and already in my early childhood I was encouraged to work with her. She loved to create with her hands and being able to express an idea or create a person which she encountered on one of her journeys.
    Erna also experimented with the texture and glaze on her ceramic work and achieved extraordinary colors with copper, aluminum, iron, lead, manganese, oxides and cathedral class.
    Many of her Ceramic sculptures were later casted into her famous bronze sculptures like the Chorus of Prisoners, The Family, Bergy and Boss .
    Her bronze sculptures were casted by Master Caster Bernhard Moll, Switzerland. Mr. Moll retired in 2004 and his casting shop was closed. Since then there were no further castings done and all of the here exhibited bronze sculptures are the last original sculptures casted by Mr. Moll.

Erna’s exhibitoins at her house at the Thunersee received over the years a lot of recognition. She also held exhibitions in Thun, Interlaken, Bern and St.Moritz and her work can be admired at prestigious places like the “Top of Europe” at the Jungfraujoch Restaurant..

A last exhibition of her remaining original mineral-fossil art and bronze sculptures is planned for summer 2010 in Switzerland.

Some of the art work are now for sale at our online gallery .

More about her art work and person is presented in her book Insights from Nature, Erna Binz.

10. victoria

victoria New Member

I can't wait to see your site... I know what 'sand roses' are, can't wait to see how she used them!

Here are some corrections to make it flow more naturally in English, hopefully, using/editing what you've written... I'm sure someone can also help make improvements:

============

Erna Binz, my grandmother, was a well known artist in Berner Oberland, Switzerland. Much was written in her lifetime about her work in ceramics, bronze, minerals, and fossils as her art reflected her love of life and continual creative approach to art. She passed away at age 94 at Lake of Thun, Switzerland. (Karina: you might want to add what year she died)

I was always impressed by the versatility in Erna's work and life. While she loved the typical organized and structured life in Switzerland, she also loved to travel and understand other cultures and ways of living. This understanding is reflected in her art work, which ranges from the figurative approach to abstract. Her themes, while mostly simple, are global in nature, and include families and children experiencing everyday activities, love, dancing, and music.

In her younger years, Erna and her husband Walter traveled in their Thunderbird van all over Africa. Her journeys, which are portrayed in her book “Adventure Africa,” influenced her life and work. As a child I was fascinated by her tales about monkeys which jumped on to the roof top of their van just to help themselves to fruit, about pigs which had to be scattered from water pots on the road in order to continue their travels, and sandstorms (some of which Erna and Walter barely survived).

In one of her stories Erna describes how she discovered the “sand rose” a mineral stone found in the deserts of Africa and which she later used for her famous mineral art work:

“As we traveled through the desert there were always people gathering around our van trying to sell us something. I discovered the “Sand rose”. As a practical-thinking woman being used to save and recycle anything, we had fitted a second floor into our car (the inside of our van?) which could be used for storing food and second-hand clothes, items hard to come by in the desert. At our next journey we offered to exchange these items in return for many of these rare minerals. Everyone was very happy about these deals, and I had my new resources for my art work.”

Erna’s passion to collect minerals and fossils from all over the world and create her unique "Mineral Fossil Pictures" has become the actual hallmark of her art work. Erna worked with Crystals, Amethyst, Quartz and Achate, as well as ceramics placed into armored cement. (Karina, what is armored cement?) After Erna included fossils into her art, she would often stand in awe in front of her (assemblages?) of million-year old fossils and exclaim in awe, ”Unbelievable, they are hundreds of millions of years old!”

Ceramics were another of Erna's passions, and she encouraged me from my early childhood to work with her. She loved to create with her hands and being able to express an idea or create a person whom she had encountered on one of her journeys. Erna also experimented with textures and glazes on her ceramic work, and achieved extraordinary colors with copper, aluminum, iron, lead, manganese, oxides and cathedral class.

Many of Erna's ceramic sculptures were later cast into bronze, like her famous "Chorus of Prisoners," "The Family," "Bergy," and "Boss." Her bronze sculptures were cast by the Master Caster, Bernhard Moll, in Switzerland. Mr. Moll retired in 2004 and his casting shop was closed. Since then, there have been no further castings done of her work. All of the exhibited bronze sculptures on this website are the last original sculptures casted by Mr. Moll.

Erna’s exhibitions at her house at the Thunersee over the years (karina: you might add what/where that is for those of us who don't know) received much recognition. She also held exhibitions in Thun, Interlaken, Bern and St.Moritz, and her work can be admired at prestigious places like the “Top of Europe” at the Jungfraujoch Restaurant (where?) as well.

A last exhibition of her remaining original mineral-fossil art and bronze sculptures is planned for summer, 2010, in Switzerland.

Some of her works are currently for sale at our online gallery .

More about her art work and person is presented in her book, "Insights from Nature".

=============

Hope that helps... I'm intrigued, to say the least!

all the best,
    Victoria

11. victoria

victoria New Member

You obviously have greater brain power than I, LOL... I find it hard now to do what you did, altho I used to find it fairly easy. It would probably take me a week now!

Can't wait to see your site, Karina!

all the best,
    victoria
  12. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

Thanks you soooooo much for taking the time and energy to edit my text.
    I was not online because i was to busy getting the content finish and figuring out all the details for sales, shipping and so on. I am also in the process to designing the whole site with a web designer here.
    I never thought it will be so time consuming and as for brain power...... i am struggling.
    I hope the site will be up and running in a few weeks.
    thanks again
    Karina